Track IR - who uses it?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Krycekuk
Staff Sergeant

Re: Track IR - who uses it?

Post by Krycekuk »

Paul K wrote:
Oracle427 wrote:I don't comprehend the pause the trackir for cruise. That is a great time for it because I'm looking around outside and admitting the scenery. It is essential for pilotage.
Well, the example I gave was of being in the Constellation flight deck, in the cruise on autopilot. Let me give another example - say you are in a PMDG 747 at FL350, over the Atlantic at night, and you are monitoring the figures on the various pages of the FMC. Do you really want your view bouncing about with every tiny head movement, when you're trying to read all that ? That's the point being made - Track IR is good for when its needed, but there are times when it's better put on pause. :)
This is exactly why I use pause. Not much to see over those large oceans. Granted things are a little different when in the A2A Comanche over some Orbx scenery but I fly tube liners a lot as well.
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mb
Intel i7 6700K 4 Core @4.5GHz
850 Pro 512Gb SSD for Win 10 64 bit, 1Tb M2 for MSFS
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR4 3000
nVidia 2070 Super
TrackIR 5, Honeycomb controls, Saitek panels
Every A2A Accu-sim aircraft

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Track IR is really beneficial when used comfortably in flight sims.

It IS NOT a 1 size fits all product. What works for someones setup may not work with yours.

I disabled the Y-axis movement, as it was quite inaccurate for me, and having it enabled would never yield the same "center point" as just a few seconds ago when sitting in the cockpit. Especially since I will tend to slouch or shift my back positions to become more comfortable.

By disabling the Y-axis I still have the X axis {Side to side} and the Z axis {In and out}. These combined are extremely useful for VFR flight and especially nailing down base to final turns.

It is important to take the time to setup and experiment with TrackIR once you obtain it. I recommend the TrackIR 5 Pro bundle that includes the Pro clip off Amazon.

Take the time to experiment with the placement Try both on top of your monitor and on the desk and see which allows for the most un-restricted travel.
Also, as the manual states this is not a webcam, it should not go on the center of your monitor. It should be offset to one side of your monitor in line with the TrackIR clip pro if you are using that.

The best setup I found works for *me* is on my desk pointing a little bit up and all the way left in line with the clip when I am wearing it. This allows almost un-restricted downward travel which is really important to me to be able to look down at the panel and fuel selectors trim etc.

I hope it helps. I ran a simple hat switch for 7+ years of Flight sim before I took a major break. Going back into it I remember when I first got it, it was exactly what I always wanted once I set it up properly. It greatly increased the realism of VFR flight and overall training experiences too. An added bonus is that you can obviously use it to branch into other games such as trucking / racing games, DCS, and a bunch of other games that support it as well.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

"... I ran a simple hat switch for 7+ years of Flight sim before I took a major break. Going back into it I remember when I first got it, it was exactly what I always wanted once I set it up properly. It greatly increased the realism of VFR flight and overall training experiences too."

- After thoroughly reading this thread with great interest, I'm considering to give Track IR another try, after twice rejecting it. About 10 years ago, I made the change from single monitor to 3 x 24" displays. I tried to adjust Track IR, but just could not get comfortable with it. However, after reading several comments from others that just cannot go on living without Track IR, perhaps it is worth yet a third attempt.

irishlad200000
Airman

Post by irishlad200000 »

Hi Paughco

I got track IR ver 5 at Xmas! I had been looking at it for some time! For situational awareness it’s second to none! I’m currently training on the real 172, so I’m using the sim to practice circuits and fly the same routes I have been in training! It’s actually quite close to the real thing! When your doing real life circuits, especially the left hand usual pattern, it’s the only way in sim you can get your bearings without coming off course! I was really surprised how well it works!

If your seriously into sims of any kind it’s a must! I’m using track clip pro which has a little less interference! If you use the system make sure the blinds in the room are shut so there is no interference from outside! I’ve also knocked it off my monitor quite a few times and it’s still working great, so don’t worry too much about the negative comments re build quality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Krycekuk wrote:
Paul K wrote:
Oracle427 wrote:I don't comprehend the pause the trackir for cruise. That is a great time for it because I'm looking around outside and admitting the scenery. It is essential for pilotage.
Well, the example I gave was of being in the Constellation flight deck, in the cruise on autopilot. Let me give another example - say you are in a PMDG 747 at FL350, over the Atlantic at night, and you are monitoring the figures on the various pages of the FMC. Do you really want your view bouncing about with every tiny head movement, when you're trying to read all that ? That's the point being made - Track IR is good for when its needed, but there are times when it's better put on pause. :)
This is exactly why I use pause. Not much to see over those large oceans. Granted things are a little different when in the A2A Comanche over some Orbx scenery but I fly tube liners a lot as well.
Indeed, mate. To be honest, even with more low-level VFR flying, I often turn it off if there's no need for it. With prolonged use, I do sometimes find my head spinning a little.

By the way, I mentioned this in my first post; a wireless rechargeable infrared emitter which replaces the flimsy Track IR one, and is compatible with the Track IR camera and software;

https://www.trackhat.org/trackhat-clip-plus

It comes with a velcro pad to attach it to your headset, but that's not much use if the side of the headset doesn't have a flat surface. So, I devised a clip made of two clothes pegs and a narrow cable tie. It has to be two pegs for stability, but it works perfectly and fits solidly to all three of my headsets, without any problem. You might like to consider it.

Hope you are well, Krycek - still living in the land of the concrete cows? :wink:

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I don't always use it but when I do, I sometimes disable the y-axis. It's surprising how much I shift position on my chair and have to re-centre the thing. Although, leaning sideways for a better view in a taildragger is pretty much essential while taxiing. :lol:

Steve.

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Another helpful tip I can give is having a pause button for TrackIR setup on your mouse. I have a gaming mouse so I have pause and reset which really makes things easy.

Doing this allows you to pause trackIR when reaching for things like the radios switches etc.

It's all about patients with TrackIR it is a lot of testing back and forth which position for the camera works best, what profile, etc. It is similar to tuning the graphics in P3D. Sure you can max out the sliders and call it a day but the frames will be poor. Same with trackIR you can slap it up and go but the experience may be poor.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Krycekuk
Staff Sergeant

Post by Krycekuk »

Paul K wrote:
Indeed, mate. To be honest, even with more low-level VFR flying, I often turn it off if there's no need for it. With prolonged use, I do sometimes find my head spinning a little.

By the way, I mentioned this in my first post; a wireless rechargeable infrared emitter which replaces the flimsy Track IR one, and is compatible with the Track IR camera and software;

https://www.trackhat.org/trackhat-clip-plus

It comes with a velcro pad to attach it to your headset, but that's not much use if the side of the headset doesn't have a flat surface. So, I devised a clip made of two clothes pegs and a narrow cable tie. It has to be two pegs for stability, but it works perfectly and fits solidly to all three of my headsets, without any problem. You might like to consider it.

Hope you are well, Krycek - still living in the land of the concrete cows? :wink:
I do have an early trackhat and I did converse with them about improvements such as rechargeable cells rather then long usb cables as the early products tended to have.

I am well thanks Paul, I hope the same is true of you and yes I am still in the land of concrete cows and endless roundabouts ;)

Regards,

Nicky.
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mb
Intel i7 6700K 4 Core @4.5GHz
850 Pro 512Gb SSD for Win 10 64 bit, 1Tb M2 for MSFS
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR4 3000
nVidia 2070 Super
TrackIR 5, Honeycomb controls, Saitek panels
Every A2A Accu-sim aircraft

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Yep, all well here too! :)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Guys: OK - I'm in. Track IR is high on my list of stuff to get.

Thank you!

Seeya
ATB

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

All this discussion has got me to think outside the box which is good thing as it is easy to get in rut so to speak. As I said I have had A Track IR for around 15 years. I am now flying with around 95% zoom and adjusted my eye point slightly to move me back from the panel a little to compensate for the new zoom. Before I generally just flew with the default zoom for any given aircraft. An easy way to move your eye point without changing the CFG is to move your head in or out and then hit the centering button. I have the centering and pause commands programmed into my console/throttle which is very convenient.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Paughco wrote:Guys: OK - I'm in. Track IR is high on my list of stuff to get.

Thank you!

Seeya
ATB
I believe you will find it an essential tool for flight simming. I could go back to a cheap $30 stick, slower system, etc but if you took my A2A planes or my TrackIR away from me I would just quit simming. I want to again stress the need to spend some time with setting up each axis. I tend to use some amount of dead zone so that my view is not constantly moving in my normal forward view. I have also found that using "Smooth" at 27 helps bunches but does not make the panning seem slow or muddy. I fly with an X52 Pro and use the Trigger 1st stage as my Pause and Trigger 2nd stage as my Center. I find this handy, quick and very functional. I have a keyboard command to apply the smoothing effect. I do have all axis active but the Y axis is very minor. Too much Y axis is not good. My Pitch and Z axis' are not mirrored. Below is an image of my Pitch axis tweak. As you can see it takes some time to fine tune them to fit what works for you. TrackIR will not be comfortable or enjoyable if not set for you.

Also, play with camera location and distance. My monitor sits on a shelf 8" above my desk with my camera on the shelf under the monitor and slightly behind it on the left side of center about 3' 8" from the Track Clip Pro. As some others have stated, the camera and Track Clip Pro are VERY fragile. I have a wire twist tie (bread twisty) wrapped around the camera swivel base to hold it steady and electrical tape holding the Track Clip Pro together and in the proper position. Mine is the Version 4 running Version 5 software and it is quite old. I have always been very careful with it but a simple bump will break the mounts.

Here is the image of my Pitch axis. With this setting it does not take much down pitch of my head to see gauges and controls below my normal view but looking upwards is a little more normal.

Good luck Sir

Roger

Oh yeah, one more thing before I go. You will find that different games will react to the TrackIR differently. I have completely different settings for IL2 than I do for FSX/P3D. Use the Titles tab to automatically apply the profile you want for each game.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

Now picture this, if you have a camera suite, and make say half a dozen pre defined views (forward, instrument, overhead, pedastol, port and starbourd views, etc, etc,) assign them to a hat switch, or two, trackir is particularly effective within the individual pre defined views, a massive enhancement. Bit like beer an cigerettes ?

One thing i dont like about trackir, i dont think it is too healthy reading a screen for an extended period of time, that isnt square on ?
Another reason i switch to chaseplane inbetween daparture and approach .
Last edited by RotorWash on 03 Feb 2018, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

dvm wrote:All this discussion has got me to think outside the box which is good thing as it is easy to get in rut so to speak. As I said I have had A Track IR for around 15 years. I am now flying with around 95% zoom and adjusted my eye point slightly to move me back from the panel a little to compensate for the new zoom. Before I generally just flew with the default zoom for any given aircraft. An easy way to move your eye point without changing the CFG is to move your head in or out and then hit the centering button. I have the centering and pause commands programmed into my console/throttle which is very convenient.
You have seen the light :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”