Accusim this!!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Accusim this!!

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Oh dear... :cry: Could this be the future of Accusim??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-04/f ... st/9304424

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: Accusim this!!

Post by Mickel »

Not just yet... The article poses more questions than answers.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I wouldn't worry, you've a long time yet, the driverless cars hasn't matured yet, let alone aircraft.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I wouldn't worry, you've a long time yet, the driverless cars hasn't matured yet, let alone aircraft.
That plane isn't driverless but gasolineless. :)

On the other hand, pilotless aviation is much more developed field than driverless road traffic. For instance, there are few serious next generation military aircraft programmes going on that would not offer an unmanned option.

In what comes to the power sources, it is the opposite, electric cars being much closer to reality than electric airplanes.

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

sorry yes, but you get the idea.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I loooooove Pipistriel aircraft. They look good and are innovative.

I would buy their Panthera if:

1) I could afford to buy it. :)
2) If it was certified in the US

There are lots of videos on their development of the electric trainer, I had my doubts at first, but clearly it is succeeding.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, and with some gliding background I can't help waiting electric self-launchers coming more affordable.

-Esa

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but there's something decidedly un-sexy about electric cars and planes. It seems to me to be rather like driving a fridge. I love the internal combustion engine, and I have to accept that it's time is limited, but electric gizmos provide none of the sense of occasion and drama. There's little to assault the senses and give the sense of fulfillment that you've tamed a beast.

I'll go back to my slippers and cocoa now. :cry:
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Maybe I'm just an old fart, but there's something decidedly un-sexy about electric cars and planes. It seems to me to be rather like driving a fridge. I love the internal combustion engine, and I have to accept that it's time is limited, but electric gizmos provide none of the sense of occasion and drama. There's little to assault the senses and give the sense of fulfillment that you've tamed a beast.
I hear exactly what you say! :D I thought pretty much the same, and partly still do. But, not long ago, I had a chance to push the right pedal down on a pretty reasonable, rather boring electric car. Now, Jesus help me with that amount of torque!! And all that is put on the road in a clever way, not fooled by an occasional slush patch under another driving wheel or anything. I've also had a chance to try the Tesla, not of the latest models though. Holy moly how they just silently rocket off. And when remembering the speed limit, easing off a little, the batteries recharge from your excess fun. Brilliant!

-Esa

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

Trouble with electric cars is that they are silent. The situation's bad enough with jaywalking pedestrians wrapped up in iPod headphones etc. that they don't even hear fire-breathing muscle cars bearing down on them.

There's no doubting the instant torque available via electric motors etc. However, I recently watch a Formula E race - it took me back to a school sports hall where I used to race RC cars - the noises were almost the same! LOL The physics cannot be denied.

HOWEVER, there's something more base-level, visceral about the noise of eight or twelve cylinders in a vee, or radial engines. Heck even jet engines spooling up and afterburners lighting make the hairs on the neck stand up. POWER.. :twisted: IMHO of course!

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

I think flying an electric plane would be very weird. You wouldn't feel the engine or hear the roar. Their might not even be a need for headsets if they are quiet enough.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

That's an interesting point Crippy about not getting the feedback from the engine (is that more relevant in flight sims, I don't know).

But at the same time, people talk about how peaceful it is in a hot air balloon. Imagine if a powered aircraft could be that quiet.
Up there in a J3 Cub in stealth mode.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

I’m with you as far as the noise of a big piston or jet but look at this video. It opened my eyes to accepting electric for ga. The noise is still there in the cockpit and outside you aren’t annoying people. I can seriously see me being very happy with this over chugging round in a warrior. Let’s be honest, 4 pot ga engines don’t exactly sound the best do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiADDbeFanU

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiADDbeFanU[/youtube]
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Mithras
Airman First Class

Post by Mithras »

one hour endurance. Wow. :roll:
People, pressure groups, governments are infatuated with electric cars.
Yes, the emissions are zero. But. But. The power must come from hydrocarbon burning power stations. And if we all drive electric cars, we will need hundreds more power stations. You are just shifting the burning of fuel somewhere else.
Even hyrogen fuel cell vehicles, with zero emissions, require liquid hydrogen as a fuel. This, at present technologies, requires more power expended in burning hydrocarbons than is produced in liquid hydrogen.

There is no such thing as cool, free energy, unfortunately. It's just - where abouts in the world do you want the energy produced.

HighBypass
Airman First Class

Post by HighBypass »

If everyone's plugging in their electric cars over here in the UK then our power companies will struggle for the increased demand for electricity... :twisted:
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-th ... supply-gap

One easy answer - nuclear power stations ..... :twisted: :twisted: :lol: Oooh, sorry , did I swear???

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”