Thoughts on the Cherokee?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Thoughts on the Cherokee?

Post by BrettT »

I have all the P3D offerings except the Cherokee. In general I find myself flying the Comanche and T-6 the most and occasionally the 182. I have not doubt the Cherokee is modeled meticulously. Is the Cherokee essentially just a slower/less complex Comanche? For those of you that own both do you find that you pretty much leave one in the hangar and spend more time in the other. Just looking to get some input to see if I want to take advantage of the sale or hold off to see what is around the corner. Any input is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Brett

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: Thoughts on the Cherokee?

Post by Mickel »

If I don't want to go too far, I take the Cherokee. If I do, I take the Comanche. The Cherokee is a delightful little aeroplane (as they all are, tbh). Who knows what's coming... my crystal ball broken and still in the shop. I need to talk to them about that.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I agree with Mickel. I fly them both. For simply enjoying the thrill of flying I like my Cherokee. And you’re right, it’s meticulous. I fly the Comanche when I have some distance to cover or want something more complex. It’s meticulous also, but I think the Cherokee has just a touch more “class”. Probably because that’s what I used to fly in real life and this one is almost identical.

I’m hoping for a twin! :D Will I fly it more should I get one? Most likely I’ll have it for a different kind of experience much like having the Cherokee and Comanche and fly it equally as much.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I have both and fly both pretty much equally. The Cherokee is used when the weather is nice and I just want to put around. The Comanche is for cross country, complex flying, getting there, etc.

I flew Warriors and Archers IRL which are arguably not the same as the Cherokee due to the different wing design and other things but the Cherokee heritage of the Warriors and Archers is really felt when I fly the Cherokee.

Of all the airplanes A2A produces I would say the Cherokee and Comanche top the list in character and that certain non se qua that makes them much more than a simulated airplane.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Bias I know but I love the cherokee, it has heaps and heaps of character 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

The Cherokee was the very first A2A aircraft I purchased and it still remains my absolute favorite. Like Lewis said, it has TONS of character.
It is also much slower than my faster birds, and after flying it for 2+ years I find it difficult to adjust to faster airplanes like the Comanche and 182 especially that base to final turn.

The Cherokee allows you to go slower, and really fine tune landings and maneuvers.
The cockpit visibility is second to none, I can see almost everything where as the Comanche has a smaller windshield it seems.

The ONLY thing I wish could be improved on the Cherokee is the tow bar function. I really miss this feature as I have to use SHIFT+P to push it into my hangar building. I would pay money for this feature to be added.

I do understand though, I am no stranger to finding myself in a position of flying just a few aircraft. My P51C and J-3 cub rarely see the skies anymore. The J-3 is just too slow for me, and the P51C is just almost too fast for me too.

I find that keeping a logbook really helps to see what aircraft I haven't flown in a while. If I see I haven't flown ____ airplane in creeping up on a month I will fly it to keep proficient.
Last edited by crippy on 29 Dec 2017, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

While it is not the one I've flown most in the simulator (I think), if I were to do a review of each A2A product one-by-one, the Cherokee would score the highest. On its own, it is an easy double eagle. Newer products of course bring in the new developments and features, but at release the Cherokee was an instant hit for me, and remains, again to me, the most finely crafted product perhaps yet offered.

Lots has to do with particularly excellent artwork presented, but also how it apparently catches the feel of the airplane. And even if I've been in one for several times, I've never flown one at controls - yet, it precisely captures the words from the numerous, very experienced pilots of it in some of its characteristic nuances. It is like if I had to start training with one, I'd be quite comfortable to know what to expect! :) My favorite is this often-quoted, poor pitch authority during the flare, or "running out of the elevator". Seldom are these things captured in the FSX/P3D, even if widely described in the flying community. In the A2A Cherokee, you do note it, pretty much precisely when expected.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I trained exclusively on Cessna 172/182 and Piper taildraggers. My only experience in a Cherokee was the A2A Cherokee.

I flew it a bunch on FSX and one day by pure chance, my CFI's friend asked if I wanted to fly his Cherokee 140. I jumped at the chance.

He barely had to coach me on any aspect of the operation from preflight, navigating the cockpit and controls or flying characteristics. I felt right at home in a few minutes.

In my book the A2A Cherokee goes down as the best simulated aircraft ever and it is so very beautifully modeled.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Thanks guys,

I think I'll probably go ahead and get it. I do like how each plane has its own character and I do like the "retro" look of the interior. Hoping the next offering from A2A is a bush plane. Although, I know whatever it is it will be good.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Picked it up this afternoon.

Definitely a good little plane. I am emphasizing the "little". Running in VR it is tiny compared to the Comanche and other GA birds. I still cant get over how small the Hershey bar wing is! Definitely has a lot of character and I do love the visibility out of the cockpit. A great little bird to go cruising around in. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Brett,

Take the Comanche for a spin in the pattern and make 2-3 landings, then jump in the Cherokee and do the same. You will immediately feel how different these airplanes behave.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

Scott,

Definitely different characteristics. You can tell the Cherokee is much more of a trainer airplane and the Comanche is more of an "owners" airplane. The Cherokee seems to "want" to do everything it is supposed to be doing. ie. It wants to lift off on the takeoff run, it wants to fly level, it wants to sink when you reduce the throttle and needs very little coaxing to do these things. it does seem to require slightly more attention to the rudder for coordinated turns (just my perception perhaps, or lack of skill). The Comanche on the other hand seems to need a little more coaxing to get into the air but once it does it really wants to accelerate and climb, it wants to continue rolling, it really needs to be convinced to slow down and or descend for landing and seems to prefer to flown down onto the runway instead of flaring as if it would still prefer to be flying :D

Kind of like the difference between a family sedan and a sports car. They both are quite nice. Great Work!

Kind Regards,

Brett

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Congratulations on getting the Cherokee. Of all the A2A releases, I still feel the Cherokee is A2A's masterpiece. The other releases are all fantastic, but the Cherokee is just that little bit more special. I never thought I would have as much fun flying a mundane little single like the Cherokee. It is an easy plane to fly, a tricky plane to fly well. Have fun shooting approaches in IMC the old school way...CDI/ADF navigation, timers...etc.

You are right about the these planes being like cars. I like the car comparison. 172 ideal first trainer...the car you teach your kid to drive in. Cherokee ideal first ownership plane. ie a first car you own...ie economy sedan. 182 great jack of all trades plane...ie small SUV or 4x4 stationwagon. Comanche is the ideal comfortable cruiser...speed, range, payload...like a great vintage muscle car. Civil Mustang is the supercar of the bunch...ie Shelby Cobra.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

If I was forced to have only one of A2A's four G.A. aircraft, it would be the Cherokee. The other three are in my hangar and I'm glad to have them, but the Cherokee has an indefinable 'something' to it - maybe that cosy little cockpit and the way the instruments are recessed deep into the panel? I don't know, but it is my favourite ( against stiff competition, of course ). :)

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Of all my GA airplanes in my P3D V4 hanger I fly the A2A Comanche 250 & Cherokee 180 the most. Each is quite different than the other; but very enjoyable to fly. I prefer to use the Comanche 250 for my instrument work and the Cherokee 180 for my VFR flying. The Cherokee has a very special place in my heart and as long as I continue to flight sim the Cherokee will always be in my hanger. I don't think you'll ever regret buying the Cherokee. It's a lot of airplane for the money!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D :idea:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”