Think my PC is FUBAR

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Think my PC is FUBAR

Post by G-BJPS »

Hi all, hope you're enjoying the season festivities!

I mentioned the other day in my 'What else are you playing' thread that I thought my water pump had gone.

Well today I tried to diagnose it, and look in BIOS for clues, but didn't see anything obvious. CPU fan shows as running, and apparently that's how the water pump is shown (as a fan) in BIOS?

The CPU temp stabilised at 68 C ... probably still to warm, and then when I tried to restart system, I had Windows fail to start screens come up :shock: Both blue and black default screens with warnings about Windows couldn't start yada yada.....
Eventually figured out how to do a system check/safe mode...tests ran ok then it took forever to boot up windows. Everything appeared ok on desktop, I tried to add some new windows updates and generally check and update stuff.
The updates wouldn't install (taking way longer than normal) CPU temp went through the roof again, so tried to restart and...nope. Asus factory screen pops up with high CPU warning :?
Just cooler? (Corsair H100i) or is CPU and something else FUBAR?

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Think my PC is FUBAR

Post by Tug002 »

Last time I had high CPU temps I had to take apart my computer and clean it. My CPU is not water cooled though so I don't know if that would be your problem or not. My fans and air vents were a mess though as was my CPU.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Oh no Let's hope that it's just caked with dust inside.
Go with Tug's suggestion.
My living room is especially immensely dusty probably due to the cat litter box in the kitchen area even though I dust and vacuum weekly.
Every month my computers in the living room area have to be cleaned with an electronics compressed air can even though I have several air cleaners in the house.
My main computer room though has much less dust hardly any at all.
If I don't clean them every month or less I can tell when they act glitchy,freeze up etc.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello John,
I hope you get it sorted out. Have you looked for any leaks from the tubing, fittings, radiator or pump? What I have seen from the AIO's is that they are not a completely filled system. My old AIO had a fare amount of air in it as I could hear the fluid sloshing around inside the radiator. With this in mind, is your radiator positioned so the pump can never run low on fluid, i.e. above pump with hoses at bottom?

I would attempt an air cooler to see if the temps are good with it. If so it could just be that you need a new cooler.

Good luck Sir

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

If you’re overclocking it, (thus the reason for the water cooling), go back to your CPU’s normal running speed until you get the coolant issue resolved. 70 c is pushing the envelope.

Make sure the CPU fan is functional as well as all other fans. Visually inspect them all! If necessary and you can’t see the fan, you might be able to take a small object (paper or plastic) and slowly and carefully stick it in the fan. If it’s turning you will hear it. Don’t forget the fan on the video card. I’ve seen them jammed up with dust.

Noisy fans may turn, but not fast enough. Noise is from bad bearings. Replace them.

I’ve seen CPU’s overtemp and cause all kinds of issues.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Thanks for all the replies folks...

Dust is not a problem with it, I'd recently taken the GPU out and given it a good dusting, my case has dust filters over the intake fans too, which seem to catch most of it.

No leaks or problems with pipes on cooler, it's a Corsair H100i closed loop, and the pump/block over the cpu is sealed, but no vibration as if it's running...and one pipe is a lot warmer than the other.

All fans running normally and radiator is mounted horizontally on top of case.

Must be a broken pump I guess, if so I can have the whole cooling system replaced.
It only has a small oc on the cpu (4.2ghz ~ i7 4770k).

Whatever has gone, it went quick! I was playing on The Golf Club 2, easy on the system compared to FSX etc...then all of a sudden fps started dropping and game got real choppy and stuttering all over the place.
Closed game and checked Temps, and that's when I saw CPU at 90-95 C :shock:

It's just frustrating lol because I can't contact Wired2fire who built it until new year/next week when they go back to work.
But hey, at least A2A are delaying the new release for me :wink: sshhhhhh I didn't tell you that :mrgreen:

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

One pipe being warmer than the other indicates that you do have a heat exchange going on, and have fluids pumping, but the flow still may not be enough.

Also don't forget that IF your flow is adequate, the process of cooling the fluids may be whacked! Check that the fan / radiator is working and not clogged with dust or blocked up.

CPU’s heat up FAST! I remember once having a CPU with no heat sink on it, powered up for only a second or two and touching the top ofthe CPU. I got a nice burn on my finger!
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

TBryson you have a point there!
The more I think back to before it happened.......about 2 weeks ago I was cleaning the intake dust filters on the case.
To remove the bottom one I'd tilted the whole pc to the right and left it leaning against my wall at about a 30deg angle whilst I cleaned it all out. I'd also left the dust cover off the pc for a couple of days while I was out....something I'd never done before.

Hopefully perhaps a combination of an airlock and dust in the radiator has caused it.
Will give the rad a good hoover out today and tilt the pc the opposite way for a while.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

John, just for info - I had water cooling on this PC when I first bought it and eventually, it packed up. The local computer shop replaced it with just a normal CPU air cooler, saying that unless I was overclocking, water cooling was unnecessary. Three years later, it's still going strong and still running everything nicely. Just something to consider, mate. :)

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Thanks Paul! Yes I'll keep that in mind.

Just finished cleaning the whole radiator...completely removed it and it's fans for cleaning.
However still no joy, as soon as I started the machine up, it comes up with a black CPU Fan warning screen.....so yeah pump or something else has definitely gone.

In bios cpu fan only shows as 800rpm and doesn't increase even if I change it manually to full speed!

These things happen like you say, and it's nearly 4 years old now as well.
Hopefully it's just the cooling system and I'll get it replaced next week when everything is back to normal and open!

Happy new year !

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

G-BJPS wrote:Happy new year !
And the same to you. :)

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Just as a point of suggestion.

While it may appear that your cooling loop is functional, you haven't stated the age of your cooling system ... I went with liquid cooling for the first time on my new build about 2 months ago. During my research on cooling, as is very similar with the coolant in your automobile, the chemical composition breaks down over extended period use and time.

You also didn't state the number of fans on your cooling system, (if I missed it I apologize,) perhaps your cooling system isn't correctly sized? Perhaps adding additional radiator to the loop? especially if you're wasting your cpu by overclocking.

Could be a combination of both of these that could be causing the issue.

(P.S. as an aside, overclocking is useless, and stresses the cpu beyond it's normal function.)
Snuffy

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If going to air I have good results with Noctua
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Hah - I’m a big fan of KISS +1 on Noctua... Been cooling my [email protected] for the past five years - have a new one in my cart for a 7700K build I am working on...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Just ordered a new cooler :) A Corsair H100i V2. It's the latest version of the one I had.
Should be here tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be back up and running :)

Cheers for all the tips and advice chaps!

John.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”