The Largest Seaplane in the World Is Chinese

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

The Largest Seaplane in the World Is Chinese

Post by cflord »

The world’s largest amphibian seaplane, the Chinese AG600, made its first flight from Jinwan Civil Aviation Airport in Zhuhai, Guangdong, China. Large as a civilian airliner, the AG600 can take off and land from water. The aircraft, nicknamed Kunlong, was in development for seven years and will be used to perform firefighting, rescues at sea, and patrol China’s artificial islands in the South China Sea.

The AG600's first flight didn't involve any water. Instead, the aircraft flew for about an hour before returning to the airport to land. The AG600 is designed and manufactured by China’s state-run Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), which is responsible for the bulk of China’s new military aircraft, including the J-10 and J-20 fighters, the Y-20 heavy transport, and the Z-10 attack helicopter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hppQXKoAN44[/youtube]

The AG600 has a wingspan of 121 feet and a maximum takeoff weight of 53.6 tons, making it about as large as an Airbus 320 or Boeing 737. The amphibious seaplane features both a boat-like hull for water takeoffs and landings and a conventional, tricycle-style set of landing gears for operating from a runway. The airplane uses 100 percent Chinese components, including four WJ-6 turboprop engines descended from a 1950s-era engine designed by the Soviet Union.

Kunlong can accommodate up to 50 passengers, making it useful for evacuating ships during maritime emergencies or transferring personnel from islands not equipped with landing strips. The seaplane can also, according to Chinese state media, scoop up 12 metric tons of water in 20 seconds for fire fighting. The AG600 is unarmed, for now, but could probably carry torpedoes and depth charges in the anti-submarine warfare role.

While the AG600 clearly has civilian roles, it also has a military role that AVIC is likely downplaying. The seaplane is ideal for maintaining China’s artificial islands in the South China Sea. Built up by seafloor dredging from islets and shoals, these islands are, contrary to Beijing’s earlier statements, gradually becoming militarized with air bases, radars, and weapons. The islands help China monitor traffic in the South China Sea, which will form a protective belt not only for the Chinese mainland but also a bastion the country’s fleet of nuclear ballistic missile submarines. The Jin-class submarines provide a powerful “second strike” capability that ensures revenge attacks if China were the victim of a surprise nuclear first strike. China has claimed ninety percent of the South China Sea, a territorial claim that rankles neighbors.

The AG600 will be useful in not only monitoring the South China Sea but keeping remote bases supplied with personnel and supplies. The aircraft can stay aloft for up to 12 hours and has a range of up to 2,800 miles, meaning it can easily make a round trip flight from mainland China to most of the South China Sea without refueling.

The AG600 has also scooped up 17 orders from various arms of the Chinese government. That number hasn’t changed since 2016. The crucial test will be if the aircraft gains any overseas orders.

Article from Popular Mechanics.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

xvii-Dietrich
Airman

Re: The Largest Seaplane in the World Is Chinese

Post by xvii-Dietrich »

The largest seaplane in the world is NOT Chinese.

The AG600 has a wingspan of only 121 ft. Even the old Dornier X (first flight 1929) was bigger at 157 ft.

Since then huge seaplanes like the BV-222, BV 238 and others have flown... all bigger that the AG600.

The largest seaplane in history was the Hughes H-4 Hercules with a wingspan of 320 ft, which dwarfs the AG600.

The largest seaplane still flying is the JRM-1 Mars (wingspan 200ft) which, while not as large as the H-4, still is way bigger than the AG600.

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Impressive plane. I'd sell a kidney or two to fly on one of these
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

xvii-Dietrich wrote:The largest seaplane in the world is NOT Chinese.

The AG600 has a wingspan of only 121 ft. Even the old Dornier X (first flight 1929) was bigger at 157 ft.

Since then huge seaplanes like the BV-222, BV 238 and others have flown... all bigger that the AG600.

The largest seaplane in history was the Hughes H-4 Hercules with a wingspan of 320 ft, which dwarfs the AG600.

The largest seaplane still flying is the JRM-1 Mars (wingspan 200ft) which, while not as large as the H-4, still is way bigger than the AG600.
None of those are amphibian though are they? The claim is that it is the largest amphibian currently in production.

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Seaplane and amphibian are not the same thing. A Seaplane is NOT necessarily an Amphibian. An Amphibian MAY BE a Seaplane. Thus, the above is correct. It's not the largest Seaplane.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

CAPFlyer wrote:An Amphibian MAY BE a Seaplane.
No, not 'May Be'. It can't be an amphibian and not a seaplane. An amphibian is ALWAYS a seaplane ( or flying boat ), but fitted with retractable undercarriage for landing on normal land runways.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Actually, not true. Not all amphibans are classified as seaplanes. They may be a FLOATPLANE. A SEAPLANE by definition has a watertight hull. Not all amphibians have watertight hulls.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Even among amphibians, Beriev A-40 weighs some 30 tonnes more at MTOW, and is somewhat larger in dimensions.

Not sure about its latest production status; as per Russian Wikipedia, the program has been resumed in 2016.

-Esa

xvii-Dietrich
Airman

Post by xvii-Dietrich »

Tutmeister wrote:
xvii-Dietrich wrote:The largest seaplane in the world is NOT Chinese.
None of those are amphibian though are they? The claim is that it is the largest amphibian currently in production.
The title of this thread was "The Largest Seaplane in the World is Chinese".

That is the part that is incorrect.

However, if arguing the largest amphibian, then I would agree with AKar that the Beriev A-40 is larger (on weight/dimensions), or alternatively the Beriev Be-200 (on passengers).

The AG600 is undoubtedly a large and interesting machine, but the superlative claims associated with it are erroneous.

CAPFlyer wrote:Actually, not true. Not all amphibans are classified as seaplanes. They may be a FLOATPLANE. A SEAPLANE by definition has a watertight hull. Not all amphibians have watertight hulls.
I disagree.

SEAPLANE = (also historically referred to as a hydroplane) is any aircraft that can land/takeoff from water. This includes both floatplanes and flying boats.
FLOATPLANE = The aircraft has pontoons or similar. The fueslage does not provide buoyancy on the water (e.g. Heinkel He-115)
FLYING BOAT = Watertight fuselage, which provides some (or all) of the buoyancy on water (e.g. Short Solent)
AMPHIBIAN = Capable of landing on either land or water. It can be a floatplane (e.g. DHC-3 Otter) or a flying boat (ShinMaywa US-2)

References

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

CAPFlyer wrote:Actually, not true. Not all amphibians are classified as seaplanes. They may be a FLOATPLANE. A SEAPLANE by definition has a watertight hull. Not all amphibians have watertight hulls.
Ah, I see. Here, a seaplane and floatplane are interchangeable terms. If it has a watertight hull, we'd call it a flying boat. Local interpretations and usage differ, I suppose.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Hey guys, if you're in disagreement as to whether or not the AG600 is the "Largest Seaplane" in the world, you'll have to throw your rocks at "Popular Mechanics" as they wrote the article. Don't shoot the messenger, as I just posted the article for your enjoyment! I feel like I just batted a bee hive and got things all stirred up. Anyway, you guys got me laughing my butt off; which is the therapy I needed after a horrible 2017 (Lost my Dad, a Granddaughter, and a very close friend). Anyway enjoy the remainder of your discussion.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :lol:

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

cflord wrote: I feel like I just batted a bee hive and got things all stirred up. Anyway, you guys got me laughing my butt off; which is the therapy I needed after a horrible 2017 (Lost my Dad, a Granddaughter, and a very close friend). Anyway enjoy the remainder of your discussion.
Cliff,

I'm very sorry on your loss.

Let the other discussion, however entertaining and interesting, on the thread be just that: entertaining and interesting discussion. What's important to any one of us is always up to the perspective. There has been no bee hive, I believe. Just some aviation grammar. I'm sorry, again. :(

As a messenger, I don't think anyone would but thank you on giving you yet another topic to discuss on.

I wish you a better 2018, as we say around here!

I'm sorry yet again for your losses on the 17. :(

-Esa

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Cliff hopefully next year is a better one, sorry for your loss.

On the subject of the a40, I agree, it is bigger, however according to wiki only 2 were built. It developed into the 200 which is smaller and lighter than the ag600 and apparently so far has never been sold as a passenger carrying configuration, only proposed to try and lure buyers.
They even offer a Rolls Royce option to try and pull in western buyers!

This is a rather interesting article on them and I learnt a lot.
http://www.airvectors.net/avbe200.html

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Tutmeister wrote:On the subject of the a40, I agree, it is bigger, however according to wiki only 2 were built.
According to Wikipedia:
3 марта 2016 года начальник Морской авиации Черноморского Флота ВМФ России полковник авиации Геннадий Загонов официально заявил, что к 2020 году находящиеся на вооружении флота противолодочные самолёты-амфибии Бе-12 будут заменены на амфибии А-40.
The official word from 2016 is supposedly that it will replace the Be-12s currently in service with Black Sea Fleet by 2020. This would suggest the A-40 would be used in ASW role.

-Esa

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Well done China, but I still prefer this one. ;)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”