Will My System Run FSX ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
8thFG
Airman First Class

Will My System Run FSX ?

Post by 8thFG »

Heres what I have:

Gateway
AMD Athlon 64

3500+

2.21 GHZ 896 MB Ram

System bought in Jan and I have never had any trouble running current batch of sims.

Thanks,

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

I think with the cfg tweaks you should be able to run it with the auto gen turned down to normal. I have a simular system to you but I have 1.5 gigs of memory on my system with a 6800GT. I have everything turned to max running a 1600x1200x32 with autogen on dense. I get between 10 and 20fps however it's very smooth. Its not jerky so to speak.

Hope that helps some.

8thFG
Airman First Class

Post by 8thFG »

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for a copy from that North Pole guy ... :D

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Hey I looked on the back of the box of Microsoft Flight Simulator X deluxe edition.It has an emblem that says "Play to win with Intel Core 2 extreme"

I think that this simulation is really designed for the new processors.
It may run on older hardware but it won't look as nice.
I tried the demo and the graphics are great but I'll wait to Install FSX on a new PC with Vista(when I can afford to build it).

You will want to put extra RAM in your system 2 gigabytes would be best.
I'd go with 3 gigabytes or 4 if you decide to use Windows Vista.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

FSX Requirements

Post by cflord »

Fellow Sim Flyers

Like most of you I am not happy with the Frame Rates in FSX. I have a Dell XPS 700 Special Edition with 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive, 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM, Dual 512MB NVida GeForce 7900 GTX Video Cards and a Pentium D Dual Core 930 Processor 3.0Ghz/800FSB, and I even have to pull the sliders back in FSX to fly it.

The secret is that FSX was designed around Windows Vista and Direct-X 10.0. FSX simply will not perform as advertised without Vista and Direct-X 10.0. I am going to hold judgement on FSX until Microsoft releases Vista which should include Direct-X 10.0.

Even after Vista is released you may still have performance problems if you have not upgraded your hardware. In the Official FSX Guide the following paragraph is written: " Basically, if you need to get a higher frame rate, you must decrease the scenery detail and possibly even the amount of AI used in Flight Simulator. Contrary to what you might think, this is true no matter how powerful your computer is. FSX is designed to perform on high-powered hardware that is not yet available to the general public, so even three or four years down the road, FSX can still challenge even the most robust hardware while providing a stunning simulation".

In the Guide they recommend the following hardware to get started:

3.4 Ghz Processor or Higher, 2-4 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, NVida GTX 7800 512 MB Video Card x2 (two cards for SLI configuration) or similar high-end ATI Video Card such as the X 1900 512 MB ATI Radeon, and a High Speed Internet Connection.

My FS2004 works just great with my new computer with average frame rates of 35 - 72 FPS even in the most dense settings.

It simply looks like, getting Vista when it comes out and upgrading our computer's hardware is what it will take to get the most out of FSX.

Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord; C-130 Flight Engineer :shock:
Last edited by cflord on 11 Nov 2006, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

8thFG
Airman First Class

Post by 8thFG »

Im gonna wait . It looks like too much bull just to get the thing to run half decent.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

8thFG wrote:Im gonna wait . It looks like too much bull just to get the thing to run half decent.
Yes maybe we should wait for the AMD Athlon 256 or the Intel core 16 Duo.I remember being on top of the world when I had a 1 Ghz Athlon processor about 6 years ago.Maybe we should build a new machine in 2009 until FSX will run good.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”