ORBX Christmas Sale - 45% off

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: ORBX Christmas Sale - 45% off

Post by Skycat »

FtX Central has a tool in Settings that corrects most airport elevation disparities caused by Global products--it is one of the tabs there. I have a freeware mesh for Europe installed, it seems to work perfectly with Global Base, Vector and OpenLC. I will update this post with the URL to the ste.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Skycat wrote:FtX Central has a tool in Settings that corrects most airport elevation disparities caused by Global products--it is one of the tabs there. I have a freeware mesh for Europe installed, it seems to work perfectly with Global Base, Vector and OpenLC. I will update this post with the URL to the ste.
I've messed with the AEC tool with little in the way of satisfactory results. My main trouble with it is that I don't know that the airfield is dorked up until I am on final approach for my first time to that location. It's too late to fix it at that point and I will most likely not be back there once departed. Another issue I've had is the elevation just doesn't seem to blend well with the terrain after it is corrected. :?

I may try it again to see what happens now with OpenLC NA & EU. I've also activated FreeMeshX Global 2.0. My flight to Lucknow, India has the Himalayan's with a little more definition than without FreeMeshX Global. I snapped photos with and without FreeMesh active and can see a slight difference. :|

I know ORBX uses Pilots Mesh 2010 when creating their sceneries but I'm hoping for a less expensive option at this point in time. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

FreeMeshX 2.0 is the mesh I'm using for Europe. In reality I don't fly Europe much. (Edit: I just noticed that the option to download individual regions has been removed and now global FreeMeshX is a combined 50GB download.)

I'm still using the stock mesh for North America; I've experienced a few sunken or raised airports but most are good. Run the AEC tool whenever you install new mesh or sceneries including the Global freeware airports packs.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

That elevation correction tool referred to earlier is in the FTX Global Vector control panel. There's a tab for Airport Elevation Corrections. Click that tab, then click on the Run Auto-Configuration button. Then click on the Apply button after it gets done shuffling stuff around.

Hmm. You got me thinking. Maybe I should take a look at OpenLC Europe and/or South America. Don't fly there often, but when I do...

Seeya
ATB

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Just to add to Paughco's instructions and specifically to address Roger's question of "when do you run the AEC tool?" You should run it after you install or re-install any add-on airport. I've been caught out landing on a runway in a canyon, as well! Some people think it a bother while I really enjoy the features Vector brings to the scenery. Waiting a couple of minutes for the tool to run is worth it for me.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

BAD GRAMPA strikes again. Hmm. Maybe need that for the plate for my S1000XR [BADGPA]. Naw. Oh well. Decided I'm not interested in South America (they stole our name) or Europe (been there, done that), so I am now downloading Veronia, Bella Coola, and Creswell (Hobby Field).

I've ridden past Creswell many times on my motorcycle, either riding down I-5 to, or coming back from, San Francisco. Now I can fly there in my Comanche.

Another place I ride through from time to time is Veronia. The best route to the Washington State BMW Riders annual "Rain Run" from Pugetropolis to Manzanita goes through Veronia. Hope I can sneak the Comanche or the T-6 in there (We need an A2A Cessna 185!!).

I got Bella Coola just because. They got Sasquatch up there ya' know.

Hmm. Maybe I still need to add Kenai to the mess. Ernie and I had fun getting our MJ C-47 into and out of there during Blue Grass Airlines' recent series of flights. OK - the plastic has cooled down to where it's just a dull red. Gotta go.

Seeya
ATB

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I had to work on FTX C3 to get the AEC to work properly for FSX-SE. I used to have FSX + FSX-SE installed but removed FSX due to it being more and more problematic. I had to do the coexist registry tweak as well as other fixes to get AEC to locate the proper sim. Any ways, it is working and so far so good.

Point of interest here. Below are two screen shots to compare sceneries. The first is the stock FSX-SE (sliders all maxed) scenery during this mornings flight using JoinFS. It is from the server PC spectating my aircraft over the western Himalayan's. The second is taken from my aircraft on P3Dv4.1 (sliders highish to very high) + Global Base + Global Vector + Global EU/NA + Trees HD + ASP4 + FreeMeshX Global 2.0.

See if you can tell a difference in the two :lol: These two photos were taken literally seconds apart of the same aircraft, same location.

Last edited by WB_FlashOver on 23 Dec 2017, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

MX-Leader
Airman First Class

Post by MX-Leader »

To the OP. Put me down for the C185. I've spent lots of time central oregon. I grew up in Portland. Took my first flying lesson at now gone Clark County Aerodrome in Vancouver Wa and have flown plenty out of Troutdale airport. I used to camp near Joseph and Enterprise as a youngster. My family settled in Condon in the mid 1800s. I love that area. Live in Texas now and miss it all the time.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Yeah, my motorcycle buddies and I really like that road from Wasco down to Condon (you can get non-E 92 octane at that gas station just off the turn at the North end of town), then down to Fossil and on down to Hwy 26 and John Day.

I decided to go for it after all and bought the Open Europe LC and Open South America LC. This is because I'm planning on participating in Lewis's multiplayer flights as they come up, and most of those seem to be in Europe.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody!

Seeya
ATB

Raebo
Airman First Class

Post by Raebo »

If you fly high flying long range aircraft the following is highly recomened.
FTX base pack.
FTX Global Vector.
FTX Global Open LC North America.
FTX Global Open LC South America.
FTX Global Open LC Europe.

I live and base out of Edmonton Alberta Canada so I have
NA Northern Rockies, this is a very good one for me only because it's in my home territory.
Make sure you buy one that covers your home airport.

These I bought and wish I hadn't.
These and other regions in the same class would be great for slower low flying aircraft that don't fly for 8 to 10 hours at a crack.
If I activate any single one of these specific areas because I'm going to land in that area one must really adjust your sliders to the left or you will run out of address space, these specific areas are Virtual address hogs to say the least.

NA Pacific Fjords.
NA Pacific Northwest
NA Southern Alaska

You will find that if like me you fly high and far ( I only fly the B-377 ) the Base Pack, the Global Vector, and the Global open LC is all you need, they are truly fantastic.
I find the specific regions and airports are resource hogs that will highly affect the limited address space we have available.
Nvidia GTX - 980Ti Titan.

Seidon 240M liquid CPU cooler.

Intel i7-4770K, Asus Z87-pro.

Samsung- 840 EVO Sata III TLC SSD.

Trident X series 32GB (4x8)

Kingwin 1000- watt 80+ Bronze Power supply.

Asus - PB278 2560x1440 HDMI Monitor.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Raebo wrote:If you fly high flying long range aircraft the following is highly recomened.
FTX base pack.
FTX Global Vector.
FTX Global Open LC North America.
FTX Global Open LC South America.
FTX Global Open LC Europe.
I have these plus TreesHD from Orbx. I also use FreeMesh X 2.0 which I recommend. In the pictures that I posted above you can see the difference with and without an add-on mesh.

I fly the Constellation globally so I'm under the same conclusion as you that area specific sceneries are not as important as global improvements. I fly P3Dv4.1 so there is no chance of OOM errors. What I am seeing with the global additions is a huge improvement over the "stale" stock terrain without the performance hits that I've seen from area specific add-ons.

To answer my original question about whether OpenLC is worth the expense I can now say that it most definitely is. I am impressed with it.

Happy New Year all
Cheers
Roger

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”