Vans RV-8

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
RhinoDrvr
Airman Basic

Vans RV-8

Post by RhinoDrvr »

Hello,

I just purchased a flying Vans RV-8 and have been enjoying flying it on weekends as a traveling machine. I grew up flying GA, then joined the military, and having been spoiled by some very cool airplanes, wanted to find an aerobatic, cross country, fun flying “jack of all trades” for weekend flying. The Vans RV-8 was it, and that explains why there are 10,000 of them flying.

With specs like this, who would be interested in one done to A2A Accu-Sim standards? I would love to meet up with Scott and the team and give all the access required to see this versatile airplane modeled for FS! Any interest?!

Lycoming IO-360 180hp
Hartzell Constant Speed Prop
42 Gallons of Fuel
170 KTAS cruise performance
8.5 GPH fuel burn
~700 foot takeoff / landing roll
Fully Aerobatic (6.0 / -3 G’s)
650lb useful load (My airplane has a heavy empty weight. Many have a 750lb useful load)

Jetstreamsky
Airman First Class

Re: Vans RV-8

Post by Jetstreamsky »

What a super idea and offer, really hope A2A take you up on this.

Allan

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

RhinoDrvr,

It's interesting you posted this because I've been looking at how amazing these RV's are, from the design to build to performance to ease of maintenance. PM me your contact info and I'll give you a call and we can talk.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

I would lose my mind over an Accu-Simmed RV-8...just sayin'... :lol:

RhinoDrvr
Airman Basic

Post by RhinoDrvr »

Scott,

I'm not very good at the forum stuff. The PM looks like it's stuck in my outbox.
Last edited by RhinoDrvr on 07 Dec 2017, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

RhinoDrvr wrote:Scott,

I'm not very good at the forum stuff. The PM looks like it's stuck in my outbox. Give me a call below;

Eight Oh One, Four Nine Eight, 0042
Rhino, PMs go to your 'Outbox' and remain there until the recipient reads them. Once they are read by the recipient, they are automatically moved to your 'Sent messages' box. It foxed me a bit first time too. :wink:

RhinoDrvr
Airman Basic

Post by RhinoDrvr »

Think of all the possibilities for P-51 paint schemes

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

thats a surprising amount of gauges and switches for such a small plane! :shock:

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

RhinoDrvr wrote:Image

Think of all the possibilities for P-51 paint schemes
I'm liking that paintscheme, simple but very striking at the same time.

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

stiz wrote:thats a surprising amount of gauges and switches for such a small plane! :shock:
It is, rather. I like the look of the RV-8. :)

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I considered building a RV7 at one time even bought the preview plans. Too much of a commitment of time and money at the time. There is really nothing bad you can say about Van's Aircraft in my opinion. VanGrunsven is one great engineer and designer. I would never consider building a plastic airplane when there are so many outstanding airplane choices from Van's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCibxYtQ3k[/youtube]

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

My dream plane, can i have a P3d version please :wink:

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

The Baytower RV-7 was one of my most favorite non A2A planes ever made for FSX, esp when coupled with accufeel. It was such an efficient little 'jack of all trades' gem. I flew that thing everywhere.

The RV is speedy and nimble, yet economical and forgiving to fly. Just as RhinoDrvr describes it. The RV-7 and 8 are pretty much the same aircraft, the 7 for those preferring side by side vs tandem cockpit for the 8. The tandem might be the preference for aerobatics, the side by side might be preferable for long cross country flights with your significant other. All in all a brilliant design.

IMHO the RV is kind of like the Cherokee of kitplanes...solid design with many options and great 'bang for the buck', and a great first project choice for a beginning kit builder.

I think it would be a fantastic thing if Scott were to buy an RV or Midget Mustang II kit, build it and record the process into the digital world for accusim R&D.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Anyone know of a vans that works in p3d v4?

LouP

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

I found a plane somewhat resembling an rv. A new plane from iris simulations aviator series, CT/4F Akala, this effin thing has 300 HP engine :) didn't try it yet though. It is v4 compatible.

It may not be A2A but you take what you can get 8)

Vertigo studios has an rv-8 that allegedly can be made to work in v4

Orbx has an rv-4 that probably works

There may be a way to persuade the baytower one to work, here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4721 ... in-p3d-25/

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”