The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Favorite Places To Fly
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 am 
Airman

Where do you guys like to fly? I am looking for a new home base, preferably with an Orbx freeware airport. (highly recommend everyone check out the Orbx freeware collection, my favourite is KCOI - Merritt Island). Definitely like being close to the coast and having some decent terrain around.

I have explored a large portion of western Canada, Florida, Hawaiian Islands and around Saint Maarten.

Would love to hear what you guys recommend!
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 am 
Technical Sergeant

I love the Orbx' western USA regions. Either airport jumping with airliners like the A320 or the Q400 or the low level observations using the A2A SEP airplanes. My prefered airports are payware KPSP and freeware KHQM but actually I'm travelling up and down and up and down from Alaska to San Diego. Being a german guy I have been to the USA 4 times and I have always been amazed by the landscape of the West. Everything is so different to Germany or even Europe that it's a pleasure to fly over the US. No matter if in FL300 or in 2000 ft. If there was a full fat region for Japan or Indonesia I suppose I would ferry my airplanes there.. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 am 
Technical Sergeant

Sometimes I fly from one Orbx free airport to another. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999998&z=2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 am 
Technical Sergeant

bobsk8 wrote:
Sometimes I fly from one Orbx free airport to another. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999998&z=2

uha! Thanks a lot for the map :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 pm 
Technical Sergeant

Little Navmap provides another way to see the ORBX free add-on airports, with all the info, such as runway length, etc. There is a row of buttons above the map for turning on and off various features, including airports. Turn off all the airports except for the left button, which is for "Force map to show add-on airports." That way, you not only can tell if the add-on airport is there, but you can get runway length, etc. Then you can decide if you want to fly in there with the Connie, or if maybe you should pre-run it with the T-6! 8)

Seeya
ATB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm 
Technical Sergeant

I fly mostly the western united States and western Canada. There is so much open space frame rates are not a problem. KHQM Bowerman is the best Orbx freeware airport. Gold Beach, Oregon and Medford, where I live, are above average stock FSX airports. Murray on the coast in Northern California and Siltz Bay on the Oregon coast are my favorite Orbx payware airports.

I bought a bunch of Caribbean non Orbx FSX airports so I could fly the Comanche in a big loop around the Caribbean, but I don't know if they have been made available in P3d.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant

It's payware, but one of my own favorites is Skagit County, KBVS. Close to the coast, close to mountains (in both directions, Vancouver island has some nice ones), and the Puget Sound area is all kinds of fun to fly up and down. The Kitty Hawk Cafe is a bit dated, though; it's Flyers Restaurant & Brewery now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:44 am 
Senior Airman

These days I content myself flying the A2A B-17 around the Mediterranean. Gibraltar to Lanarca, and points in between.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm 
Senior Airman

M27 To the unsuspecting eye it looks like any other normal airport. Then once you are on final you realize how narrow the airport really is, and that trees surround both ends of the airport. Then you have to prep for a landing over a 50ft obstruction because of all the trees. It really keeps you on your toes, one slip up, or gust of wind and you'll have one tire on the grass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 am 
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Local and old Locals just because I guess, EGSM, EGNJ and what not.

My Twitch for my own twitch live streaming

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:47 am 
Airman Basic

8) FTX ORBX New Zealand and Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:08 pm 
Airman

dprosser wrote:
8) FTX ORBX New Zealand and Australia

Middle Earth? ;)

PNW/Southern Alaska and several locations in and around Wyoming, Colorado and Montana for me, even though I don't have the Orbx-specific packs yet. Places like Skagway (PAGY), Cody (KCOD) and West Yellowstone (KWYS) especially due to the close proximity of some really cool stuff without having to pay virtual premiums.

Also like using Page, AZ (KPGA) for a jumping-off point cruising Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and the southwest.

Trinity in north central California. Another nod for an earlier nomination of Gold Beach, and Grant's Pass in Oregon due to proximity to Crater Lake. Astoria for the 'Hey you guy-y-y-y-y-y-ys!' effect.

Abroad, there's Orbx Reyjkavik and, well, most of Iceland. :) It's such a nice relief to come into a place like that after crossing 5-600 miles of nothing but water and clouds.

Palermo in Sicily also gets a vote. Though you should never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

I could go on and on. :)

Virtual 1960 Piper Comanche PA-24-250.
Virtual 1967 Piper Cherokee PA-28-180C.
Virtual 2001 Cessna Skylane C182T.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 am 
Airman First Class

PAKT (Ketchikan) is one of my favorite airports. Very scenic location, weather is often a challenge and there are beatiful destinations available (CZST Stewart) or Bella Coola.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:20 am 
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania
The mountains in Papua New Guinea or between English and French coasts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:11 pm 
Master Sergeant

Killratio wrote:
The mountains in Papua New Guinea or between English and French coasts.

Doing standing patrols in your Spitfire, are you?? :D Calais, Dunkirk, Ostend.

Cheers,
Mike