windows10 update

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

windows10 update

Post by speedy70 »

The new windows 10 update apparently destroys FSX and P3D.

See Here
https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/143 ... te-beware/

Cheers Chris

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Re: windows10 update

Post by Molly - A2A »

I have had nothing but headaches from the Fall Creators Update so far, including FSX issues. I also suggest not upgrading if you can avoid it, and put it off until fixes come out.

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

speedy70 wrote:The new windows 10 update apparently destroys FSX and P3D.
Don't I know it!

Seems it's an issue that hangs over from a previous Windows monthly update from September that breaks some 32bit applications.

(Strange thing was FSX was working fine before I updated to it, so assuming I had that update, I wonder why it wasn't broken by it?)

Unfortunately for me, I forgot when running CCleaner that I had not unchecked the option for removing the Windows Old folder! :oops:

Luckily can get it through the shadow copy/restore folder option in Windows 10, but I'm having problems getting it to restore properly (long filenames, and file permissions), so need to sort them out first.

Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to wait until November 14th when MS are supposedly releasing a fix: -

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=225

Cheers

Paul

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Weird. In September and October, I've had KB4038788, KB4022405, KB4040724, and KB4041676 installed, and no problems with P3D or any other programs.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Main reason I stayed with Windows 7 , the idea of MS changing my flight sim computer whenever it feels like it was not something I wanted.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I upgraded to 1709 this last weekend and the only issue I had was ASP4 would not run. I had to make an exception in AVG for the program root folder. I will count myself lucky.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Aeschylus
Airman

Post by Aeschylus »

I do have a measure of envy toward those who have experienced no issues with v1709 as it looks like it has some neat features and alleges better security.

However here's my experience with it. Quoted from my post at the Orbx forum:

" I tried running FSX-SE and ASN16+ASCA with v1709. ASN ran after listing its .exe as an exception with AVG.

Ran sfc /scannow in safe mode - no errors were detected.

FSX ran, with a few differences. Menu dialogue boxes that would formerly display on a black background, now displayed while FSX continued to show in the main window. When flying a circuit and on final, the runway and taxiways were black and untextured until about 500" laterally from the threshold. On closing FSX, two error messages were displayed. One was about an unnamed unsupported function, and the other to do with child windows.

Have rolled back my system.

Windows dialogue box thanked me for trying the preview build and promised that it would "Install the next preview when it is ready."

Hm.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

Aeschylus wrote:I do have a measure of envy toward those who have experienced no issues with v1709 as it looks like it has some neat features and alleges better security.
Well, there's the reason for my good luck. I'm still on 1703. I have W10 Pro, and Current Branch for Business selected for updates.

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

One thing I forgot to mention was that for some reason, I had to set compatibility mode on both ASN16 and ASN Cloud Art to Windows 8 compatibility for them to run!

The problem I had with FSX SE was when opening a 2D panel window or something from the drop down menu.

I would get a 'child object could not be created' message and the sim would crash.

Cheers

Paul

Aeschylus
Airman

Post by Aeschylus »

Bradburger wrote:One thing I forgot to mention was that for some reason, I had to set compatibility mode on both ASN16 and ASN Cloud Art to Windows 8 compatibility for them to run!

The problem I had with FSX SE was when opening a 2D panel window or something from the drop down menu.

I would get a 'child object could not be created' message and the sim would crash.

Paul
Hi Paul, did you try running FSE-SE in compatibility mode? I had similar problems with v1709 but did not try comapatibility mode with FSX-SE before I rolled back. It may be that MS has a fix on the horizon - Nov 14th. Issue with 32bit applications. Mentioned at Avsim. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5225 ... 4-ctd-fix/

Re v1709 bothers - it tried to reinstall on my Win10 Home machine this morning. Win 10 Pro has a few more options but I don't have it. Bit of a pain. Win 10 Home only lets you defer installation for a paltry 6 days. Did a bit of reading and found that MS has a tool to give to allow user control - here https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/hel ... g-in-windo

anthonye
Senior Airman

Post by anthonye »

Had to rollback as well.

Anthony

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Installed the Creators Fallos update today. My FSX-SE seems to work but nvidia profile inspector (sigh) does not apply so it looks like garbage. It does apply to main screen, where the selected airplane rotates. I can instantly tell from that is nvidia profile implemented or not. Had lots of grinding with Nvidia profiles before, but this is first time it applies to the main screen but not in the game itself.

EDIT: It seems that my driver is cocked up and when i try to install a new one it fails.

Great update overall.

EDIT 2: I had to revert old build and even that did not go very smoothly, had serious issues with nvidia drivers. I could not install new drivers and microsoft drivers were... cocked up. Brings back memories, from Windows 95!

EDIT 3: It's the Nvidia inspector that cocks up the nvidia drivers if you have falls creators update installed. Everything works ok until you load a profile with that for me. Then whole driver crashes (older and latest) so that it cannot be uninstalled or reinstalled.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I've had another issue sense the update to 1709 on my P3Dv4.1 sim. Typically my CPU runs around 40-50% load (higher if over large cities) with the GPU around 85% load or higher. This was true for the first week of 1709. During last Sunday's flight I notice a huge amount of jitters, stutters and pauses with FPS all over the place. I checked my system resource usage and found that core 0 thread 0 was doing all the work where normal usage has always been core 0-thread 0 carrying most of the load but the rest doing their fair share. But all of a sudden now core 0 thread 0 is doing ALL the work with all other threads contributing very very little to work load. With the CPU around 10-15% total load the GPU was only running around 20%.

I rebuilt the shaders again, no joy. I then rebuilt the Prepar3D.cfg file and the resource usage improved some but the load was still not spread around the cores as normal. So, off to the affinity mask calculator. I'm still tweaking things but right now I have all threads active accept for core 0-thread 1 which I left for system usage. I was unable to keep P3D off core 0-thread 0 as the sim would jitter and stutter something terrible.

Now my system is back to 40-50% CPU load and 85% avg GPU load. What the heck did Microsoft screw up with this "update"? There seems to be several different issues floating around after installing it. I have not had to revert as things are working. Has anyone else noticed a change in resources being used by your sim sense the update?

PS: If you are looking for a tool to monitor your system during flight you might give Remote System Monitor a try. I've been using it for several years now and find it very useful.
http://www.trigonesoft.com/
I also use Open Hardware Monitor with the gadget showing me real time system data.
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

After the upgrade to Win10 version 1709, I had many of the troubles with FSX that people have reported here - but so far, the new update from today's Windows patchday (Nov 14) seems to have cured all of that. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

UPDATE: Well, looks like I spoke too soon, unfortunately. :(
Upon the second try, all my troubles were back. Why it ran flawlessly on the first try I don't know, but I will keep investigating.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Welsch wrote:After the upgrade to Win10 version 1709, I had many of the troubles with FSX that people have reported here - but so far, the new update from today's Windows patchday (Nov 14) seems to have cured all of that. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

UPDATE: Well, looks like I spoke too soon, unfortunately. :(
Upon the second try, all my troubles were back. Why it ran flawlessly on the first try I don't know, but I will keep investigating.
Only update i've received today for 1709 was 2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for amd64-based Systems, and i don't even have an AMD system :\

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”