So I got A Question

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

So I got A Question

Post by bullfox »

Does PD3 or 3PO, or P3D V#4.1 or whatever its called have enough quirks, pitfalls, and weaknesses to make it as interesting as FSX? Or not?. Or do we not know yet? I only ask because its too cold and rainy in Oregon to go out RC flying.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: So I got A Question

Post by MarcE »

I am very confident C-3PO would find a way to believe P3D would make him die. :lol:

P3dv4 is extremely stable as long as you don't install any 32bit addons into it. But when you stick to officially v4 compatible addons you will very very likely not run into any issues (given your system is good enough. Though there are many people running it on graphic cards older than the GTX900-series the GTX10**-series is recommended and makes it run amazingly smooth. A2A aircraft usually aren't heavy on performance so a card with 4GB RAM may be absolutely fine. Make sure you have sufficient CPU power and a minimum of 8GB DDR Ram. You find the specifications on the P3D website.

But yes, it is absolutely not to compare to FSX anymore, except the default terrain, ATC and AI maybe...

Cheers,
Marc

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Marc,
Thanks for the reply. How well does P3D spread out the processing load among mult core processors? I have plenty of ram and a Nvidia 970 card, but my processor is an AMD native 3.6 ghz four core which I overclocked to 4.2 ghz on the first two cores. Its amazingly stable that way but I can't get beyond 3.8 ghz on all four cores. I have pushed my system about as far as possible so would probably build or buy a super fast Intel system if I were going to the trouble of moving to P3D.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Moving from FSX to P3D is like moving from DOS 3.1 to windows.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I was skeptical about the move from FSX to P3Dv4, but I'm glad I did. I've never had any crashes, the graphics are gorgeous, and performance is great. I run it on a laptop with a GTX1060 and it runs great at 40-50 fps on medium-high settings.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

I'm running something semi-similar to you, a Nividia 970 with an Intel @ 3.4 and I'm very happy with P3D, though I'm on V3.4 right now. The processor load seems a little better spread out in comparison to FSX, though most of it is still stacked up in one core (that's how it runs on my machine anyway).
MarcE wrote:P3dv4 is extremely stable as long as you don't install any 32bit addons into it.
Can you tell me a little more about this? I'm thinking of going to V4, but I have a few old 32-bit addons I'm using as AI aircraft

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

bullfox wrote: I only ask because its too cold and rainy in Oregon to go out RC flying.
I maidened a CMP P-40 last weekend that I've been working on for four years, on what will most likely be the last decent flying day for five months. :( Cold, gray, rainy and in the low 30's every day since then.

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

I recently (as in this week) upgraded from FSX (of over 10 years) to P3Dv4. There are many quirks of P3Dv4 that you will encounter being "not like FSX". But then on the other hand, you can do things like port over custom airport scenery from Airport Design editor straight into the sim, and everything works fine.

The biggest thing I have noticed an improvement in, is the shadows and lighting. Gone are the days of the little red light in the Cherokee illuminating the whole cockpit. The first night flight I wen't on, I had to triple check the thing was even on.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”