Input configurator issue? P3d 4 vs 5 RESOLVED

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Input configurator issue? P3d 4 vs 5 RESOLVED

Post by TBryson2 »

I have both P3D v4 and 5 on my system. There are inconsistencies with the Input Configurators for both platforms. Symptoms are below. I'm using a Cessna control panel that consists of many switches, (off, R, L, Both, Start, all light switches, master battery etc.). I do use a registered version of FSUIPC6, but the switches in question are not mapped through FSUIPC and only mapped through the Input Configurator. (Mainly the "Engine Starter" field). FSUIPC is using the same *.ini file for both platforms and I do not have any issues with FSUIPC.

In my start menu, there are separate Input Configurators for both v4 and v5, but they both appear to go to the same "axisConfig.cfg" file in the FSX directory even though when saving a configuration, it creates a file in both FSX and P3D folders.

1. The input configurator correctly establishes that it is Joystick 3 button19, but in the P3Dv4 nothing happens when I flip any switches. If I edit the "axisConfig.cfg" file and set the joystick to 1 it will work.
2, Once I set the joystick to 1, (so it will work in v4), the panel will not work in v5. I have to edit axisConfig.cfg back to "joystick 3" and then it will work.
3. (Interesting side note, when saving the configuration in the Input Configurator, the axisConfig.cfg file in the FSX folder will set Joystick 3, but the axisConfig.cfg file in the P3D folder sets it as Joystick 0)

IF I could determine why P3Dv4 "thinks" it's joystick 1 instead of joystick 3, I would be able to resolve this.
OR is there a way to get the Input Configurators to be unique to each platform? One for P3Dv4 and the other for P3Dv5?

Editing the axisConfig.cfg file in the P3D folder has no effect on the switches in the aircraft. ONLY the axisConfig.cfg file in the FSX folder has any effect. I was hoping that the file in the P3D folder was exclusive to v5, but it is not

Any advice? Suggestions?

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Re: Input configurator issue? P3d 4 vs 5 RESOLVED

Post by TBryson2 »

Ok, here is what I found. The order you plug in the controllers is the order that P3D, (v4 and 5) and probably FSX will "register" them in the /Controls/Standard.xml file. This is CRITICAL for making sure the Input Configurator sees them as the correct controller!
If your Input Configurator determines your yoke is Joystick 1, then it needs to be Joystick 1 in the Control assignments in the flight sim!

I attempted to edit the Standard.xml file for the controllers but that made no difference. I could not determine where the order of the controllers were generated at.

I went into P3D's "Options / Controls and noticed next to the "controller" name, there is a field called "show". Mine had "name" in it. I changed it to "Number" and it now indicated the numbers that the controllers were established. My Cessna Panel was "controller 1" which is why I had to edit the "axisConfig.cfg" file to reflect "joystick 1". It should have been controller 3.

I unplugged all of my controllers, and plugged them in one at a time in the order they were listed in (my) P3D v5. I verified the order each time I plugged in a controller.

Went back and edited "axisConfig.cfg" files to be Joystick 3 instead of 1, and it works in both platforms now.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

I've discovered, over the years, that if you have *Saitek* gear then the [brain-dead] drivers get confused if you swap the cables around for any reason. I always label both my cable-ends and USB ports so they go back into the same slots.
--
Image--Image

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I’m not sure if it was slot dependent or the order you plug them in. It seemed to be the latter, but I also follow your policy.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

TBryson2 wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 08:23 I’m not sure if it was slot dependent or the order you plug them in. It seemed to be the latter, but I also follow your policy.
Remembering the ohe order you plug them in does sound logical on a "live" PC - as the system assigns an ID to each in turn - so you may be quite right on that one. I always move my Saitek USB devices around when the PC is powered down, so I suppose the old slot IDs are called up and therefore may not correspond to their new locations (if different).
--
Image--Image

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”