Anyone here know what the first released Direct X game was

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Anyone here know what the first released Direct X game was

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I looked at Silent Thunder A-10 Tank Killer II by Sierra and the release date of that title is February 29,1996.
I had first thought that it was Monster Truck Madness and Hellbender by Microsoft but they came several months later.
It was interesting that Microsoft had a graphics acceleration selection option in the menu of Monster Truck Madness months before the first decent 3D accelerators came out.
Even Firefight by Electronic Arts was later than Silent Thunder.
This was during the S3 Virge 325 (the decelerator) heyday and it wasn't until late in that year that the first decent (Rendition Verite v1000) or great (3Dfx Voodoo 1 ) 3D accelerator cards came out.
Microsoft had apparently developed and tested Direct X on prototype Rendition boards or equipment back in the later half of 1995
I am trying to find if there are any earlier released Direct X games.
It's just a question that intrigues me.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Anyone here know what the first released Direct X game w

Post by Skycat »

My guess was Tomb Raider so at least I was in the right timeframe.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I thought perhaps Mech Warrior.
ImageImage
ImageImage

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Tomb Raider was released for MS-DOS in November 1996.There were 3d patches for voodoo 1 and Power VR cards amongst some others for this game but I don't think that it was a Direct X Game oddly enough.

Mechwarrior II: 31st Century Combat would be a 1995 PC Game (originally DOS) though they had variants for early 3D graphic cards later on in 1996 and 1997 I think.
There might be a version that requires Direct X for it though the December 1995 Windows version is probably unlikely to use it.

Both of you guys are in the right time frame though

Another thing that I noticed is that the early Microsoft Direct X SDK's are rather difficult to find now on the Internet.
Another thing that's strange is that the first Microsoft Windows 95 game SDK was released on February 28,1996 so I don't understand how Sierra released their Silent Thunder A-10 game just a day later unless they got an early copy of the SDK from Microsoft or perhaps there was a version of that game that didn't use Direct X. It's a mystery.
A lot of this history is missing

I did find a interesting website about the early days of Direct X here from a Microsoft employee.
You can look at his other links though the SDK downloads are missing

http://craig.theeislers.com/2006/02/20/ ... ow-part-1/

Edit apparently the first version of Direct X did not support Hardware acceleration (for 3D accelerator cards) the next version of DirectX2 SDK would include Direct3D which was released on June 2 1996 did have support however.
More about it here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Lab

A person on YouTube who knows a lot about this early history has informed me that there was a special version of Silent Thunder A-10 Tank Killer II bundled with the Sierra Screamin 3D (Rendition Verite v1000) graphics card that was released in November 1996 that did have 3D acceleration support via Direct3D.
He informed me that the first version had no 3D acceleration support as it was the first version of DirectX (DirectX 1).

Interesting to know this bit of computer history

Another edit Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries released in September 1996 uses DirectX 2 though there is no 3D acceleration until the later Titanium edition was released.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Not entirely sure but 3dxfx voodoo's sure does bring back some memories :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Not entirely sure but 3dxfx voodoo's sure does bring back some memories :mrgreen:
Flashbacks to my Diamond Monster Fusion Graphics Accelerator! I think I still have it in a box somewhere. =D

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Lewis - A2A wrote:Not entirely sure but 3dxfx voodoo's sure does bring back some memories :mrgreen:
Yeah 3dfx's glide blew the early poor Direct X away it was amazing and so were the earlier Voodoo cards.
I have a 1996 Orchid Righteous card (with the clicking relay's) and about 15 Diamond Monster 3D cards amongst other 3Dfx graphics cards.
Ian C I have some other Banshee cards but unfortunately the Diamond Monster Fusion is one not in my collection.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”