Potential hazards of intersection takeoffs

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Potential hazards of intersection takeoffs

Post by gulredrel »

Interesting:
https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-aler ... SA-071.pdf

"Allow adequate time for [...] taxiing to eliminate time pressure [...]"

As I'm only an after work sim pilot I often perform intersection takeoffs to not waste time on the ground.

Happy landings
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Potential hazards of intersection takeoffs

Post by Oracle427 »

It all depends.

At KSWF, I will be happy to take an intersection takeoff as I will have more than sufficient start stop distance at pretty much any point.

At KCDW, taxiway N is frequently used for departures off 22, because you have to cross 28 for that last couple of hundred feet. It won't make much of a difference, but it does impact airport ops at an airport where 22 and 28 are nearly always used together. Worse yet, the hold short area can barely accommodate an aircraft. You have to be careful that you don't block both 22 and 28.

Larger aircraft and jets will always ask for the extra distance because they absolutely need every inch they can get on 22.

Now if CDW didn't have that issue with crossing 28, and the extra length wasn't so little, I would take it every time. In fact, runway 4 has two entries fairly close to each other with one right at the threshold. I'll always taxi the extra 100 or so feet to the threshold.

All that said, I think EVERY pilot should be able to state the expected takeoff and landing distance required for their aircraft, loading and conditions for that day before they start the engine. They should also brief their plan for takeoff and abort before taking the runway.

I would expect that those pilots would be far less prone to these types of incidents because they are paying attention.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Potential hazards of intersection takeoffs

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote:It all depends.

At KSWF, I will be happy to take an intersection takeoff as I will have more than sufficient start stop distance at pretty much any point.

At KCDW, taxiway N is frequently used for departures off 22, because you have to cross 28 for that last couple of hundred feet. It won't make much of a difference, but it does impact airport ops at an airport where 22 and 28 are nearly always used together. Worse yet, the hold short area can barely accommodate an aircraft. You have to be careful that you don't block both 22 and 28.

Larger aircraft and jets will always ask for the extra distance because they absolutely need every inch they can get on 22.

Now if CDW didn't have that issue with crossing 28, and the extra length wasn't so little, I would take it every time. In fact, runway 4 has two entries fairly close to each other with one right at the threshold. I'll always taxi the extra 100 or so feet to the threshold.

All that said, I think EVERY pilot should be able to state the expected takeoff and landing distance required for their aircraft, loading and conditions for that day before they start the engine. They should also brief their plan for takeoff and abort before taking the runway.

I would expect that those pilots would be far less prone to these types of incidents because they are paying attention.
I used to fly a nightly freight run into KPHL usually arriving there
around 3AM. Going back out after unloading they usually gave me an intersection departure off runway 9. Plenty of room and no issues at all.
Bottom line on intersection takeoffs is that they are aircraft and pilot specific and both parameters should be met before acceptance by a PIC. I've both accepted them and declined them over time depending on these two exact considerations.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”