A2A Scott at Goodspeed

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

A2A Scott at Goodspeed

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Scott,

Just noticed that nice little video you put together for your trip to Goodspeed... What a great little airport - eh ? I stopped in there a few years back - lol - all it needs is a restroom...

My write up from the experience...

My most challenging landing to date - Goodspeed CT - Woohoo !!! A pretty short an narrow runway for those used to 3500x100 ft runways - it's 2120x50 ft. ... I landed there on a blustery fall day - a bit of a crosswind - over the bridge onto 14... Hah - before I left I told my wife now this is isn't what we're used to - it's the smallest field I've ever tried landing at... Before takeoff - she's blowing smoke and said "I have the utmost confidence in your ability"... Fast forward an hour and a half - tuning base to final just north of the bridge (incredibly beautiful approach) - and as I'm rolling out on final she's like "WATCH OUT FOR THE BRIDGE !!!" LOL - I'm like “I see the bridge - I'm not going to fly into the bridge”... We were at least 200 ft above it but you need to be low so you can get on the ground early... I had followed a Cessna in and the guy honestly complemented me on my landing... What a great little quintessential New England airport...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by scottb613 on 09 Nov 2017, 16:25, edited 2 times in total.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: A2A Scott at Goodspeed

Post by Oracle427 »

It is a wonderful airport and area. I come there from time to time with my wife. There is good Italian restaurant just a short walk up the road to the north.

If you come there in the summer, there is a lot of flying and boat activity to admire. The bridge does get drawn to let larger board go by. There are a lot of experimentals based there so you'll see a lot of interesting aircraft some days.

Andover 12N will test you a little more. This is another place I like to frequent.

There's Warwick N72 if your feeling very good about your short field with obstacle technique on a very small runway.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Tomesk
Senior Airman

Post by Tomesk »

Flew in there once with my father way back when. I was probably 12 or so and absolutely loved it.

I wish someone could convince Bill Womack or ORBX to develop this for P3D.
ImageImage

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

A2A Scott at Goodspeed

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses...

Yeah - I’ve hit Andover which is probably about as short as I go and also an extremely beautiful airport... Haven’t been to Warwick...

Have you been to Butter Valley ? Another very cool little airport with good food to boot...

Butter Valley (not my pix)

Yep - Goodspeed was incredible and would make another terrific $100.00 Burger Run project... If you ave the ORBX NA Freeware pack - they’ve improved it enough to make it worth a trip... Sadly - no opera house or unique bridge..

When we stopped there - there was a guy working in the yard at one of the houses on the short walk to the opera house... We started chatting and he said he used to fly his Piper Cheyenne into that airport as well - and that field seems awfully small for a Cheyenne... I tried same in the sim - you can do it but you need to be on your A game...

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by scottb613 on 04 Nov 2017, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes, I have been to Butter Valley. Great spot! A little tense seeing all those golfers teeing off around you.

I've never tired it in the sim because of the lack of slopef runways. Then again your home base has a heck of a jump in the middle. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Tomesk wrote: I wish someone could convince Bill Womack or ORBX to develop this for P3D.
Posted PiX on Bill’s forum and he expressed interest...

Regards,
Scott

Tomesk
Senior Airman

Post by Tomesk »

scottb613 wrote: Posted PiX on Bill’s forum and he expressed interest...

Regards,
Scott
His response sounds promising.
ImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes, there is something magical about finding a beautiful airport, landing, and walking around getting to know the area, then departing. It's just awesome.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”