A video worth watching

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Scott - A2A
A2A General

A video worth watching

Post by Scott - A2A »

Every pilot should get something out of this video. Perhaps the most impressive piloting part of the vid is Chris's good instincts NOT to pull back on the yoke too much when slow.

But every time you take off from an airport with ANYTHING beyond the threshold you must fly over (power liunes,
trees, buildings, etc.), you must be prepared to not only make it over that obstacle AND be ready if, for whatever reason,
you have an in flight emergency and cannot make it over. You must be ready...

At my home airport, for example, I know my options. A windy road, a field, a swamp, etc. they are all there and things that I could end up in someday.

Perhaps the biggest lesson in this video is, even if the numbers tell you something can be done, be skeptical and add a LARGE margin of safety or don't do it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEVwyMRYIY[/youtube]

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: A video worth watching

Post by Medtner »

This is actually the video that made me a follower of FlightChops' material on YouTube. He is amazing at teasing out lessons and good experiences!

An untrained pilot would perhaps pull the yoke and stall/spin, because the instinct is that pulling=climbing. A more seasoned pilot will know that pulling+low speed≠climbing.

The first thing I thought about when seeing this post, Scott, was your testing of the numbers of your Aerostar. This is perhaps the better way of finding out if the book-numbers are correct, or to what extent they aren't.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZUIfKNzCgA[/youtube]
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Medtner wrote:This is actually the video that made me a follower of FlightChops' material on YouTube. He is amazing at teasing out lessons and good experiences!

An untrained pilot would perhaps pull the yoke and stall/spin, because the instinct is that pulling=climbing. A more seasoned pilot will know that pulling+low speed≠climbing.

The first thing I thought about when seeing this post, Scott, was your testing of the numbers of your Aerostar. This is perhaps the better way of finding out if the book-numbers are correct, or to what extent they aren't.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZUIfKNzCgA[/youtube]
Same! I subscribe to flight chop a couple years back after seeing this video. I also bought 3W5 from ORBX the next day!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Scott - A2A wrote:Every pilot should get something out of this video. Perhaps the most impressive piloting part of the vid is Chris's good instincts NOT to pull back on the yoke too much when slow.

But every time you take off from an airport with ANYTHING beyond the threshold you must fly over (power liunes,
trees, buildings, etc.), you must be prepared to not only make it over that obstacle AND be ready if, for whatever reason,
you have an in flight emergency and cannot make it over. You must be ready...

At my home airport, for example, I know my options. A windy road, a field, a swamp, etc. they are all there and things that I could end up in someday.

Perhaps the biggest lesson in this video is, even if the numbers tell you something can be done, be skeptical and add a LARGE margin of safety or don't do it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEVwyMRYIY[/youtube]

Scott.
We have this clip in our safety files.
There are two ways to view this. Number 1 quite naturally is in what to do and/or what should have been done before the takeoff is attempted. The second involves what to do if number 1 wasn't done and the takeoff is in progress. Number 1 is preemptive and of course the prime lesson to be learned from the tape. It involves runway length against known numbers for the aircraft vs any density altitude in the equation. One data point we would stress when discussing this tape would be the absolute necessity to use a Koch Chart to obtain the necessary adjusted takeoff and climb numbers.

Given all this and assuming it wasn't done, we now have the aircraft on the takeoff run. We can assume from the voice over that the pilot is at least using short field technique with partial flaps. These criteria are standard procedure for the aircraft and can be considered as known and in play (judging from the narrative the pilot was aware of the runway length and his aircraft setup so the unknown here is the density altitude.)

Once in the run and past the stop/go point into commit the impulse to induce positive pitch rate MUST be defeated. The aircraft at rotation MUST be cleaned up gear wise ASAP and under no circumstances should the flaps be touched from their partial position. (Again assumed at no more than 20 degrees for a Bo). Every inch of space remaining before the trees must be utilized to gain airspeed by minimizing as close to minimum angle of attack as required to maintain level flight. As the tree line is approached the equation required is to SMOOTHLY feed in just enough pitch to clear the highest trees in as
straight a path as possible. ANY bank will increase the stall speed.
The rub is that if avoiding the trees requires EITHER enough bank to meet the stall speed or enough positive pitch to induce a stall at the present aircraft's gross weight, the flight is over.
Bottom line is as the man once said, never put your ass in a position where your superior skill is required to correct your inferior planning.
Dudley Henriques

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Scott,

Great to post up this video. It's been circling around for a couple of years and I consider it a must watch for all pilots.

It doesn't have to be a short field to be a close call. As you said, ".... You must be ready...

At my home airport, for example, I know my options. A windy road, a field, a swamp, etc. they are all there and things that I could end up in someday...."

Once upon a time, I decided to fly a practice approach into an unfamiliar airport ending in a touch and then continue on to my destination at KOXC. The approach was into KDXR on LOC 8, I imagine you are familiar with that airport and the nice set of hills and buildings off the end of runway 8. It shouldn't have been an issue to clear those hills in a 182 had I started my takeoff roll from the beginning of 8, but here I was suddenly aware of the terrain at the far end of the runway and concerned about maintaining Vx lest I get uncomfortably close.

I closed the door on many options and put myself and possibly others at risk because I didn't properly brief for the surroundings at the unfamiliar airport or make a visit under more controlled circumstances prior to attempting a touch and go. It's a mistake I'll never make again!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Just had to add this to the list.

My father-in-law used to fly 150's, 152's and 172's out of his property in the mountains in Kentucky. My father-in-law was not a reckless or careless man, and yet he seemed to be fearless when it came to "simple tasks" such as this. He flew in and out of his place quite often and made it look simple. Confidence was high when you were with him!

Yes, there are two sets of power lines just above his runway. There was also a deep creek (basically a big ditch) JUST before he touched down. On one approach, a big hawk came out of the trees on the right just before touchdown.

He once sold a 172 to a young CFI. The CFI refused to fly his just purchased plane off of his property, so my father-in-law had to fly it to a nearby airport so they could complete the transaction.

I sure do miss my father-in-law. He was one of a kind.

https://youtu.be/_kIBnyTO-78
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Flight Chops' channel is great... and that video with Chris has a serious pucker factor.

Another great Youtuber is Bradley Friesen. He flies whirlybirds and the videos are fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbioz_Lah6U

Oh, and while you are at and if you like videography and photography, look no further than Peter McKinnon. He shot some great stuff with Bradley as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ElQw2ECtg
Happy Landings
- Patrick

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”