Vatsim revisit.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Vatsim revisit.

Post by bobsk8 »

I used to fly Vatsim all the time back in the days of FS9, before I took a long holiday from simming. I decided yesterday, to download the V Pilot app, and give it a try with the AT6, Did 3 VFR flights today and one IFR into KATL, and the ATC was great, and the AT6 is a great platform to fly on Vatsim. Can't wait to do it again.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Re: Vatsim revisit.

Post by caribpilot »

Vatsim is having a Cross the Pond even on Oct 14th. It would be great if all the old birds (B-17, 377, Connie etc) can fly in this event.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

caribpilot wrote:Vatsim is having a Cross the Pond even on Oct 14th. It would be great if all the old birds (B-17, 377, Connie etc) can fly in this event.
That would be pretty fun!

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

caribpilot wrote:Vatsim is having a Cross the Pond even on Oct 14th. It would be great if all the old birds (B-17, 377, Connie etc) can fly in this event.
The old birds are more than welcome as long as you understand that priority is going to be given to the aircraft registered for the event and you'll need to stay clear of the North Atlantic Tracks because of all the jet traffic. Also, the event has a limited time, so for most propliners, you'll be unable to complete the crossing during the event so consideration has to be given to either timing to arrive at your destination during the event or simply arriving when you arrive irrespective of ATC availability. I fly the "old iron" on VATSIM all the time and most of the ATC like the challenge. Occasionally you get oddball guys who don't want to deal with you, but otherwise, they'll be considerate and as long as you're willing to say "unable" and help them with understanding the different descent and speed requirements of your aircraft, they'll get you taken care of.

Oh, also be aware that in North America you'll be held to under 27,000 feet (FL270) because of RVSM restrictions and in Europe that altitude can fluctuate a lot, so coordination and viewing of the area's website is key (all can be linked from www.VATSIM.net).

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I have had moderated interest in Vatsim over the years but have never actually gotten into it. Is there a way to listen in to the communications?

Also, what are RVSM restrictions?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Bullfox

Sure you can listen in, just go and create a profile, read the code of conduct, install the software of your choice and you are good to go.
I did a lot of listening when I started flying on VATSIM, not long after that I joined the CIX VFR Club and took some training in order to improve my skills, mostly on communicating with the controller as I've been flying sims since 1990. Next step for me is flying my Connie and B377 more often. One problem is the controller rarely recognises the fact that a B377 don't have the performance of the B737, don't have a GPS and needs to decent much slower than a mordern tubeliner., but it's still very good fun.

Learn more about the CIX VFR Club here: https://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/index.php
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

bullfox wrote:I have had moderated interest in Vatsim over the years but have never actually gotten into it. Is there a way to listen in to the communications?

Also, what are RVSM restrictions?
RVSM stands for Reduced Vertical Separation Minimums. It's process by which, at high altitudes where radar isn't as accurate, you can keep airplanes vertically separated by a smaller margin because the aircraft have appropriately accurate altimeters, transponders, and other equipment to ensure that the airplane is exactly where it's supposed to be in the column of air so that the controllers and other crews can be reasonably assured that there is a safe distance between aircraft as they pass each other. If you don't have the equipment, then you can't fly with aircraft with the equipment because you can't ensure that you're at exactly the correct altitude. So, as the L-049 and B-377 don't have the equipment, you'll be kept below that altitude to prevent a conflict.

More info here -

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Redu ... ima_(RVSM)

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Tomas Linnet wrote:Bullfox

Sure you can listen in, just go and create a profile, read the code of conduct, install the software of your choice and you are good to go.
I did a lot of listening when I started flying on VATSIM, not long after that I joined the CIX VFR Club and took some training in order to improve my skills, mostly on communicating with the controller as I've been flying sims since 1990. Next step for me is flying my Connie and B377 more often. One problem is the controller rarely recognises the fact that a B377 don't have the performance of the B737, don't have a GPS and needs to decent much slower than a mordern tubeliner., but it's still very good fun.

Learn more about the CIX VFR Club here: https://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/index.php

Items like no GPS can be put in the remarks in your flight plan . You can also ask the controller for an early descent.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I know, but several times the controller did not see my aircraft equipment code, and a few times I have requested decent reminding the controller of aircraft type, but the still denies it. As I'm normally on an IFR flight plan, I can either log of, or say "unable" when he tall me to expedite my decent. Not a biggie, I only had to log off once. I don't fly in a VA with the A2A COTS, so I just continue offline, but with some VA I think you must complete the flight online.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Tomas Linnet wrote:I know, but several times the controller did not see my aircraft equipment code, and a few times I have requested decent reminding the controller of aircraft type, but the still denies it. As I'm normally on an IFR flight plan, I can either log of, or say "unable" when he tall me to expedite my decent. Not a biggie, I only had to log off once. I don't fly in a VA with the A2A COTS, so I just continue offline, but with some VA I think you must complete the flight online.
When I talk to ATC. my mindset is " I am the one flying the plane , not the controller. If the controller tells me to do something I cannot safely do, I tell them immediately.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”