how long can these plane sit?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
cessna lover

how long can these plane sit?

Post by cessna lover »

hi guys I have ben waiting quite a while for a new set up rudder pedals for my computer now. and can't fly at all. how long can the C172 C182 and the Cherokee sit with out any thing breaking? I think the others the p-51/p40/T6/B17 the Connie and the stratocruiser may be good. but I am not sure about the others. I have a yoke but no rudder pedals. my old one died from natural causes. lol

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: how long can these plane sit?

Post by ClipperLuna »

I don't think there is anything like a time threshold you pass over where once X amount of time has passed you'll start seeing damage. I've had things break after just a week, and I've let planes go for a few months without anything seeming to happen to them. Also, I think the engine internals slowly start to corrode with time, but it takes awhile. But whether it's a day or a year, the important thing is to inspect it thoroughly before you fly.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

ah ok. well right after I asked this I got notification that I have 1 out of two sets coming. so I am hoping to get my planes going today :D I got two sets one main set and one as a back up 8)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

If the airplane has a pre-flight walk around, use it, every single time you fly. Then cheat by checking the Maintenance Hangar. Way less pucker factor that way!

Seeya
ATB

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

For the GA fleet if you don't fly any of them for more than a month the mechanic in the hangar will tell you that it is not good for the plane to sit for that long and if you don't use oil additive you should. (if you plan to fly it more seldom)

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

yeah I can imagine that my GA stuff is going to say that. they been sitting for almost a week. :(

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

its somewhat randomised but make sure cam guard is in to help the engine i its expected to be sat for any great length of time

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

yeah I figured out how to do that. you have to change the oil and add cam guard when you change the oil. now what about the old stuff like the B17 stratocruiser and the Connie and the fighters? do they need to be flown or can they sit forever?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

yes the B-17 and strat are all good. You only need worry about the 172, 182, Cherokee etc

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

:D thank you sir

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

If you let your airplane sit for say, a year, then fly it. it's possible you could have serious engine problems in the not too distant future, or you may not have any issues at all. Like Lewis said, it can go both ways.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

I re-started my 172 after ~10 months earlier this week. It made some pretty horrible noises getting going, although it didn't resist firing up. I'll let you know if anything breaks over the next few days. :wink: But it's the weekend, so time to fly something with 72 cylinders...
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Mickel wrote:I re-started my 172 after ~10 months earlier this week. It made some pretty horrible noises getting going, although it didn't resist firing up. I'll let you know if anything breaks over the next few days. :wink: But it's the weekend, so time to fly something with 72 cylinders...
:?: something with 72 cylinders? what is that? lol

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”