Connie in VR = Wow

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Connie in VR = Wow

Post by Warbirds »

No video because you really can't show what VR actually looks like with a flat video but I will say after getting the Rift a couple days ago and flying the Connie in P3Dv4 VR I am amazed to say the least.

First when you start up the sim in VR and it opens in the Connie cockpit you realize how small that cockpit is in real life. In VR the cockpit is as real and as you look around you are happy that A2A made so many objects 3d.

VR is a bit fuzzy and not near your normal 4k monitor rez look but that seems immaterial as you gaze around this beautiful cockpit. You can lean forward as far as you want to see any instrument or switch or button up close and if you lean far enough forward and turn to look out the left window you can see the wing and engine. You can lean anyway you would as in a normal cockpit. For example I lean forward to the right to see the GTN 650 close up to pick the route or look back at the engineer panel to see how things are going.

Flying the Connie in VR is now a very new experience and quite shocking in that you think you are really high up and in the clouds and things are all put in real perspective.

Setting up the Rift in P3Dv4 is easy because you just start up the sim, choose your airport and aircraft as normal and when in the cockpit right click on the screen to bring up the view menu and pick VR virtual cockpit and bang, your in the cockpit.

VR with P3Dv4 is not perfect yet and there is a program called Flightinside being developed that will make it much better soon but even with some current limitations you will still be amazed.

There really is no way for you to know what VR is really like until you buy it or go to a buddies house that has it. If your any where near Cedar Rapids Iowa I would be happy to let you fly the Connie in VR anytime.

The Rift is currently at a low price and I got mine 10 blocks away at Best Buy so I could return it if unhappy but after flying the Connie and racing in the rain in Project Cars in VR I am keeping this amazing device until a better one comes out in a year or two.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Connie in VR = Wow

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Glad you are enjoying VR, its quite something isn't it! And yes the biggest thing was how everything is finally sized correctly, and you get the correct cramped feelings.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Yes Lewis, that Connie cockpit is now a bit cramped. This shocked me a bit going from seeing that large, wide cockpit on my monitor to then going VR and sitting in this small, cramped cockpit.

I can hardly stand waiting for my beloved B-17 and B-377 to come to P3Dv4 and see what their cockpits are now like in VR (hint, hint, soon please :)
Paul Grubich 2018
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Tomesk
Senior Airman

Post by Tomesk »

I think I am a ways off from giving VR a go, but how does it work with controls?

I'm sure the situational awareness of the cockpit is amazing but, assuming you are still using yoke/throttle hardware, isn't it awkward having to grope for the controls when they aren't visually available? Maybe I'm missing something?
ImageImage

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

Tomesk wrote:I think I am a ways off from giving VR a go, but how does it work with controls?

I'm sure the situational awareness of the cockpit is amazing but, assuming you are still using yoke/throttle hardware, isn't it awkward having to grope for the controls when they aren't visually available? Maybe I'm missing something?
The only thing I could see being a problem is the keyboard. Or if you rearrange your setup a lot and forget where everything is. You'd be surprised how far muscle memory can get you.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Warbirds, how's VR doing with reading gauges ?

I tried P3D with a friend's HTC Vive, and while the experience was truly mindblowing - the gauges where unreadable. No issue for engines gauges, you can guess it out - but radionav gauges becomes unusable.
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

From what I read about VR here and there, the supersampling technique seems to improve readability quite a lot.
It's not perfect, but since your helmet is localized in 3D, sometimes you just need to lean your head a bit closer to the instrument and then you can read it without too much problems.

Concerning the controls, some users like to use the hand-tracking device called Leap Motion. In FlyInside, it allows you to see your hand/arm in the cockpit, then you can click on these buttons naturally by "touching" them. Else, you can simply use your mouse. The usage of the keyboard is limited when you have a VR helmet because you cannot see the keys.... but on the other hand, you don't need it that much anymore.

Finally, concerning the B-17 and other non-V4 airplanes, P3Dv3 or FSX work with the FlyInside software (not available yet for v4). So you will actually get a better VR experience in P3Dv3 than in P3Dv4.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Interesting I'd be concerned about the controls but I guess it's a give and take
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Here is a YouTube video showing a real life pilot flying VR in a sim and he is working the yoke, pedals and throttles.

https://youtu.be/gf4HRChsljI
Paul Grubich 2018

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Just checked out the B-377 in FSX with VR and with VR on the gauges go wacky and the engines surge up and down. With VR off it works fine.
Paul Grubich 2018

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”