Flight Sim World

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
User avatar
AKar
A2A Mechanic
Posts: 4517
Joined: 26 May 2013

Re: Flight Sim World

Post AKar »

The difficulty in developing this kind of a platform upgrade is in that the big changes will inevitably break the compatibility with the current tech built on it. Outside of having easily modifiable entire globe as a playground (and even that lacking some important stuff), the FSX platform is in my opinion a substandard product. Now, with some decade or more of addon development built on to an idea to circumvent the platform limitations, correcting those would result in significant re-dos and incompatibility issues.

There are lots of very good things in FSX/P3D as well, but the original FSX-as-released heritage and the years of no development on the platform weigh quite a lot.

-Esa

_ME2_
Airman First Class
Posts: 78
Joined: 21 Nov 2015

Re: Flight Sim World

Post _ME2_ »

It is especially the whole concept of LOD radius that I would like to get rid of. Mesh "popping", blurries, houses and trees breaking away outside the radius painfully visible, etc. it just isn't state of the art anymore...
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

User avatar
AKar
A2A Mechanic
Posts: 4517
Joined: 26 May 2013

Re: Flight Sim World

Post AKar »

FWIW, Mr. Randazzo's (from PMDG) view on some aspects of new development.

-Esa

_ME2_
Airman First Class
Posts: 78
Joined: 21 Nov 2015

Re: Flight Sim World

Post _ME2_ »

AKar wrote:FWIW, Mr. Randazzo's (from PMDG) view on some aspects of new development.

-Esa
very interesting read, thanks esa!
I will stick with whatever platform A2A goes with. Looking forward to P3D v4.

cheers, mike
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

User avatar
Medtner
Master Sergeant
Posts: 1266
Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Location: Arendal, Norway
Contact:

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Medtner »

AKar wrote:FWIW, Mr. Randazzo's (from PMDG) view on some aspects of new development.

-Esa
That was a fascinating read, and it confirmed my suspicion that Dovetail is about to turn Flight-Sim into the money-grabbing cookie monster that Train-Sim has become.

I never had any hopes for their ventures, nor does FSW look like more than another revamped FSX at best. So I'll stick with my P3D, which seems stable and gives me vast amounts of pleasure and learning.
I'd love to add X-Plane 11 to my list too, but Accusim holds me back. I never ever fly anything else than A2A-stuff and I'm happy as hell with that.

Good riddance to the heartless money-grabbers!
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 871
Joined: 29 Jul 2008
Location: Hampton, VA

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Roadburner426 »

Yeah I still haven't crossed over to P3D and am still using FSX till I see if and when a 64 bit program comes. I almost bought the dual license for the Connie thinking I am mostly certain P3D will be where I go. All I know is it is going to be expensive when I do switch. :| Microtransactions and locking down content in games has unfortunately become the way of the world, and it is extremely aggravating to me. Hopefully that doesn't wind up being the case as FSW looks really good from the video, and hearing that it has Orbx Global out of the box is a huge plus. Just going to have to sit on the fence and see what developers do stuff for it.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

User avatar
AKar
A2A Mechanic
Posts: 4517
Joined: 26 May 2013

Re: Flight Sim World

Post AKar »

Just comparing the price of Orbx Global combined for a single purchaser, and viewing the list of developers that provide stock content, it appears to me to be the only viable business model to provide them a small share of all the addon sales through their channels. What Mr. Randazzo wrote makes a clear point-of-view from a company who's not jumped aboard (as of now anyway). I'd suppose the views of major stock content providers, say Orbx which has always been quite business-oriented venture, would be different in that case.

-Esa

User avatar
Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant
Posts: 572
Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Tutmeister »

It was an interesting view of a knowledgeable and prominent member of the fs developer community. Nothing more.
Robert deserves some respect but he was only stating his opinion. He does know what he is talking about but the rest of the thread degenerated into an angry mob with flaming pitch forks and an inappropriate level of hatred towards a developer who hasn't even released the early access yet.

At no point have dovetail said devs can only sell through steam. That is a false assumption that lots of people are making. They said you can sell on your own store as well as steam.
Yes steam costs more but they also process all you payments, bandwidth costs, provide anti piracy protection and automatically distribute your patches and provide forums. It also brings extra sales in from people who might not trawl the internet to buy from all the different devs sites.
It is convenient for customers and is the new way of pc gaming.(Not actually that new either, its been around over 10 years!). Flight sim and some of the older developers don't like this approach as it does cost more but the world of I.T. and gaming has changed and this is the new way of doing things. Outside of FS this is the normal way of things but PMDG are very old school in their outlook.

I mean, how bad can they be if ORBX, Carenado, and of course A2A are dealing with them?
If they are good enough for them, then they are good enough for me to take a look.

Chris

User avatar
CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant
Posts: 2219
Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas, USA

Re: Flight Sim World

Post CAPFlyer »

All Robert's post said was this -

1) We're not part of the development of FSW at this time.
2) I'm not a fan of the "paid beta" concept.
3) I'm not a fan of the idea that a 3rd party developer will have to release on both Steam/Dovetail channels to be able to get the "official" title.
4) We've not had any substantial communication from Dovetail since late 2016.

Beyond that, there's no concrete information. The posts I've seen says that to be an "Official" FSW addon you have to make it available via both Steam and Dovetail's in-game store, but there is no restriction on releasing outside of that. In fact the only reason that TrainSim and TSW addons aren't more visible outside the Steam channel is simply because most users like the Steam content delivery system. I've gone onto the Trainsim.com forums several times and ever there, most are happy with the delivery system. But that hasn't stopped freeware and non-steam addon developers for DTS and TSW. They're still posting to their own sites and on places like Trainsim.com. I don't see why Dovetail would change that model that has worked for both DTS and FSX:Steam.

Also, there is no talk of microtransactions ANYWHERE with FSW. I've now seen 2 posts in different forums referencing it, and at no time has that been in any communications to that effect so anyone talking about it is simply spreading unfounded rumors for their own negative purposes, not because there's truth to it.
Image

User avatar
Rimshot
Senior Airman
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Rimshot »

Tutmeister wrote:It was an interesting view of a knowledgeable and prominent member of the fs developer community. Nothing more.
Robert deserves some respect but he was only stating his opinion. He does know what he is talking about but the rest of the thread degenerated into an angry mob with flaming pitch forks and an inappropriate level of hatred towards a developer who hasn't even released the early access yet.

At no point have dovetail said devs can only sell through steam. That is a false assumption that lots of people are making. They said you can sell on your own store as well as steam.
Yes steam costs more but they also process all you payments, bandwidth costs, provide anti piracy protection and automatically distribute your patches and provide forums. It also brings extra sales in from people who might not trawl the internet to buy from all the different devs sites.
It is convenient for customers and is the new way of pc gaming.(Not actually that new either, its been around over 10 years!). Flight sim and some of the older developers don't like this approach as it does cost more but the world of I.T. and gaming has changed and this is the new way of doing things. Outside of FS this is the normal way of things but PMDG are very old school in their outlook.

I mean, how bad can they be if ORBX, Carenado, and of course A2A are dealing with them?
If they are good enough for them, then they are good enough for me to take a look.

Chris
Very well said Chris. Your positive approach is refreshing. I'm appalled by all the negativity in our community regarding Dovetails new sim. I applaud their early access approach. They give us an opportunity to build this sim and I for one am going to grab that chance with both hands. I hope A2A will release their fleet for this sim as well.
Cheers,
Bert

Intel i4790K, 8 GB RAM, MSI GTX 970, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User avatar
Rimshot
Senior Airman
Posts: 160
Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Rimshot »

Medtner wrote:Good riddance to the heartless money-grabbers!
Oh please... :roll: And what about the pricing strategy of many addon developers regarding FSX and Prepar3D with it's different licenses. Their products are not exactly free of charge are they?
Cheers,
Bert

Intel i4790K, 8 GB RAM, MSI GTX 970, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

lowflyr
Airman
Posts: 40
Joined: 12 Apr 2017

Re: Flight Sim World

Post lowflyr »

Rimshot wrote:I applaud their early access approach. They give us an opportunity to build this sim and I for one am going to grab that chance with both hands.
While I will certainly will be among those taking advantage of the early access and will use whatever means available to provide my feedback, I am very apprehensive of the approach. I hope that Dovetail maintains a "simulation-first" approach towards the sim in the face of what will surely be a number of calls to make it more of an arcade game. I say this because of my experience with Steam and the fact that despite a strong presence of sim lovers, there is also a multitude of people who are there for achievements, easy gameplay, and pretty graphics. I would hate to see a good sim dumbed down to placate the masses.

Torg Smith
Airman Basic
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 May 2017

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Torg Smith »

I am hoping to buy the Comanche with Accu-Sim for FSW as I really like it for FSX. I am hoping to be able to get the Flight1's GTN750 as well to go with the Comanche.

Torg Smith
Airman Basic
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 May 2017

Re: Flight Sim World

Post Torg Smith »

CAPFlyer wrote: Also, there is no talk of microtransactions ANYWHERE with FSW. I've now seen 2 posts in different forums referencing it, and at no time has that been in any communications to that effect so anyone talking about it is simply spreading unfounded rumors for their own negative purposes, not because there's truth to it.
I believe the people are referring to Dovetail building and selling aircraft and scenery as DLC. They do this for their train simulator and I would be incredibly surprised if they did not do it for FSW. I don’t get the complaints. The additional content is optional. They update the base engine for the train sim every year for free to people that already bought the base game.

terrydew
Airman First Class
Posts: 75
Joined: 06 May 2014

Re: Flight Sim World

Post terrydew »

I think it's great. If DTG forces the must sell through us program, it will just force all of the study level developers to P3D which is my sim of choice.

Terry

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests