Flight Sim World

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Re: Flight Sim World

Post by wblackret »

Sorry folks, "headed in a totally different direction". I was incensed!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Considering the GTX 980 is over 3 years old, I doubt it's a misprint. No sane software company is going to design a new program based around 5+ year old hardware. 3 years is even pushing it considering final release is probably still a minimum of 6 months off, meaning there will be another generation of cards released by then. I just got my GTX 980 about 3 months ago and I'm still struggling with some games because of how heavy they are on the GPU. It's been the "cycle of life" with games, including FS, since the dawn of gaming. FSX when released was "widely panned" for having "extremely" high requirements to run well, but yet it was one of the best selling versions of FS, and continues to sell as FSX:Steam.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There is no free lunch.

You can't demand 64-bit architecture and all the bells and whistles and expect it to run on ancient hardware.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Oracle427 wrote:There is no free lunch.

You can't demand 64-bit architecture and all the bells and whistles and expect it to run on ancient hardware.
So true. This was what happened to the Aces Team with FSX. It was a brilliant program and the team was comprised by near genius level people. The only flaw when they released it was that the program they designed was designed to optimize on not yet developed hardware.
Eventually it would catch up and when it did FSX came into its own where it now runs as it was initially envisioned by the Aces Team.
Hopefully, today's hardware has reached the stage where a new 64 bit release using advanced technology will run acceptably on today's medium level systems. I think it will.
Dudley Henriques

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Hats off to all who commented. Guess I really didn't think about it in that respect. You're right! Guess I'll be spending that $200.00 (or more) anyway. What the hell, it's only money! The kids don't really need shoes, I can super glue the wife's dentures and Alpo is cheaper than regular ground meat. The graphics will make it all worthwhile.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

rcoultas
Airman First Class

Post by rcoultas »

wblackret wrote:Hats off to all who commented. Guess I really didn't think about it in that respect. You're right! Guess I'll be spending that $200.00 (or more) anyway. What the hell, it's only money! The kids don't really need shoes, I can super glue the wife's dentures and Alpo is cheaper than regular ground meat. The graphics will make it all worthwhile.
Now you're talking mate! Spoken like a true flight simmer. Go forward and don't look back.

And Alpo doesn't taste so bad when you get used to it.
Cheers,
Randall

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Cat food substitutes for tuna in a pinch. :)

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

No it won't be backwards compatible with FSX or FSX:SE. Why? This is being developed off the MS Flight engine. Which for anyone that got the chance to use Flight before it's death, they can attest to how good that engine was. There is another post here in the forums lamenting that missed opportunity with glimmers of hope that Dovetail would one day do something with that code. Now it looks like they finally have, and I for one am excited for it. Yes, it maybe old now but it was very versatile and I am sure that the code could still be wrung out for more than it was by Microsoft. So here's to hopin'.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

cheapcharlie
Airman First Class

Post by cheapcharlie »

It's going to be painful buying thousands of dollars of pay ware again. And there won't be many sales going on in the first year I would think as devs capatalise on new the platform.

Even when it's released I will be a couple of years behind.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Zoran

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I did not realize it was developed off the Flight engine. That is even better news as I found the IMC simulation to be very realistic. The first time I flew an approach VFR on top into a layer of fog with LIFR conditions over the field left me wondering if it could get any better.

I forgot if they had fixed the nighttime clouds that glow. This is the biggest problem I have with FSX and nighttime flying. Clouds should not be visible, yet there they are puffy grey things everywhere. :)

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Just got an email from them. As a thank you for supporters who backed them and bought flight school they are giving us copies of flight simulator world!

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

cheapcharlie wrote:I did not realize it was developed off the Flight engine. That is even better news as I found the IMC simulation to be very realistic. The first time I flew an approach VFR on top into a layer of fog with LIFR conditions over the field left me wondering if it could get any better
According to DTG_Aimee on AVSIM, she said "FSW is based on an updated version of the FSX code, yes. " So, did she get that wrong?

Also, keep in mind they have published "minimum" specs. Sure it will run on that, but will run better on a system with better specs. Since DTG is into gaming market shares, they will offer it to wide ranging systems as a marketing scheme. So when you're looking at hardware, you better be thinking more in terms of GTX 1080. IMO

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Aimee is correct. MS did NOT sell Dovetail rights to the Flight! engine. They're starting from FSX and going from there, but my understanding is that the majority of whats being done under the hood will still require rework of the flight dynamics even though the basic model will be able to port over fairly easily.

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

Gotcha CAP! Someone else on another forum mentioned the same thing, but what you say makes a lot of sense. I've been trying to catch stuff on the dev forums, but haven't picked up too many details. Thanks for the clarification!!!

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

This actually genuinely looks very promising. They seem to have pulled the right strings. Gfx and general optimization is always good but i wonder will the flight dynamics really differ from FSX...? Still table based etc?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”