United Breaks Faces

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.

What next @United?

Revert to old policy of only breaking guitars
39%
Current policy is just fine. No need to revise it
11%
Throw people off the plane once already airborne (I Need A Pinochet!)
50%

Total votes: 18

whiic
Staff Sergeant

United Breaks Faces

Post by whiic »

Fly United Or Else! (by Mister Metokur)

I honestly don't understand why overbooking doesn't carry a 10 year jail sentence for airline CEOs, at the very least if it cannot be resolved by voluntary means (basically having a reverse auction increasing prices until enough volunteers appear).

And maybe airline's own employees should take second place. It's not like they need professionals to break guitars at some other airport. Everyone is capable of destroying luggage.

Hobart Escin

Re: United Breaks Faces

Post by Hobart Escin »

Absolutely no excuse for this incident happening under any circumstance. United's idiotic and insensitive response only served to pour gasoline on the flames.

This is why you fire CEOs. United stock fell 6 percent overnight in response to all of the negative publicity this has generated, so maybe this will help that happen.

sixgun
Senior Airman

Post by sixgun »

I'm sure they would've had enough volunteers if the price was right. Now they have a big lawsuit, falling stock, public opinion and reluctant customers. A very stupid action on their part. Don't people think anymore ? So many lawyers wanting any excuse to get your money. That doctor will probably own that airline when it's over.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Overbooking is BS and should be illegal. Flying is a big enough hassle without worrying you may not have a seat. Most tickets are non refundable so they already have the money for your seat so the excuse that they lose money when the plane isn't full is also BS. I remember when flying was easy and enjoyable instead of a giant stressful pain in the A**. The airlines are not responsible for all the reasons flying sucks but they sure don't help with policies like overbooking.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

An internal email was leaked too showing that there is a different story and discussion within the airline.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/10/united-a ... pI_gIf8gqT

Whether or not the passenger was irate and disruptive, it is risky business to write something like that and now have it splashed all over the internet. They just made a bad situation worse...

I used to fly regularly for business and it was very common to hear an announcement like this offering x dollars for people to go on standby. That announcement was always done before anyone boarded. I've never seen a case like this. It was a lose-lose situation once the passngers had boarded. If this guy refused and they backed off, then anyone would take that to mean that they can refuse as well. Somewhere upstream things really got off track.

All that said, I don't understand this whole overbooking practice. It just seems like a lot of trouble for little gain.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Another odd twist is a story on flightaware- evidently Ryanair approves of United's actions, intends to integrate it into their own policy and charge the "offending" passenger an additional 15 € for the procedure! Sounds like a joke, but anything is possible with Ryanair.

I was talking with my wife about how much flying commercially has changed. I used to really enjoy it, to the extent of picking flights that may have multiple legs that take you further away from your destination on the first leg...if possible. My last two flights were spent with someone's elbow firmly implanted into my ribs. I think I'd rather drive, to be honest.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

This is why I would rather fly the Connie and try to make the Straocruiser play nice.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Oracle427 wrote:An internal email was leaked too showing that there is a different story and discussion within the airline.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/10/united-a ... pI_gIf8gqT
Yeah. Ironically the official statements make United seem even worse than the leaked message. Maybe they knew the official line will cause PR harm but could (and would) be used in court against them (as it could be considered admission of guilt). The law, it's application and ambulance hunting lawyers force corporations to act 10x more assholish than they already want to be (and just the baseline before that multiplication was "let punch and throw paying customers off the plane after they've already boarded").

They might also have "leaked" the message as a way to make better PR, while maintaining "plausible deniability" on whether the admission of partial guilt is actually from the CEO. Using pretend-leaks to push ones true opinion is quite possible. It's information warfare out there.
Oracle427 wrote:Whether or not the passenger was irate and disruptive, it is risky business to write something like that and now have it splashed all over the internet. They just made a bad situation worse...
That's where the reverse auctioning would be handy. Just increase the price to payback the ticket and eventually some passengers volunteer to postpone the flight to another one. Instead, they only offered initial 1000 bucks but didn't raise it after that, then chose people randomly (including a doctor who had a patient waiting, potentially meaning more than 1000 bucks worth of damage for accepting 1000 bucks of compensation). They basically picked a person who possibly couldn't afford to cancel his trip. Some other person would have volunteered if offered a higher than the initially offered compensation.

TonyW
Airman First Class

Post by TonyW »

Jacques,

I saw something on Facebook about Ryanair charging for doing this, but the FB page I saw (Waterford Whisperer - based in Ireland) is a parody website. I suspect, but don't know for certain, that what is being discussed here would not be permitted in the EU, at least I hope that's the case.

Regards,

Tony

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Jacques wrote:Another odd twist is a story on flightaware- evidently Ryanair approves of United's actions, intends to integrate it into their own policy
To which I'm not surprised. As a European, I don't even have experience with United but I do have with Ryanair. Flying with them is like navigating a minefield. You can get an international ticket for 5 bucks but be vary you don't go a gramm over cabin luggage limitations or your travel just turned very expensive. That one bag in the compartment obviously is worth more than ten people in the pressurized cabin.
Jacques wrote:...and charge the "offending" passenger an additional 15 € for the procedure! Sounds like a joke, but anything is possible with Ryanair.
Charge 15 euros for what procedure? For being refused a flight or for resisting removal? It would be quite Orwellian if all postponed passengers got charged 15 eur for not being let to fly (with the ticket they already bought). It would be like in China, where relatives must purchase the bullet that is used to execute their family member.

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

TonyW wrote:I saw something on Facebook about Ryanair charging for doing this, but the FB page I saw (Waterford Whisperer - based in Ireland) is a parody website.
Poe's Law. It's applicable to so many groups, whether it is financial, political or religious in nature.
TonyW wrote:I suspect, but don't know for certain, that what is being discussed here would not be permitted in the EU, at least I hope that's the case.
That's probably because USA has that thing called MUH LIBERTAH, and because of that contractual SMALLTEXT (POSSIBLY IN ALLCAPS but possibly without) is legally enforceable. FREEDOOOOM! (Ironically you still can't smoke pot. That's a bit too much freedom.)

EDIT: I'm just checking if embeds work. Video not related to United... yet.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_5FkCs6n_A[/youtube]
Just for those who didn't get the reference made in the poll's third option. Poe's Law is also applicable here, just pointing that out.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I feel bad for the security guys who got roped into the whole thing. United will try to make them the bad guys.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Airlines overbook flights because they know a certain percentage will not show up for whatever reason, and it's cheaper for them to comp you into giving yours up than it is to fly with the seat empty.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:Airlines overbook flights because they know a certain percentage will not show up for whatever reason, and it's cheaper for them to comp you into giving yours up than it is to fly with the seat empty.
Since when do people pay their ticket when boarding the plane?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We certainly don't need a law against over booking - the last thing aviation needs is more regulations and laws, it's already way over regulated.

The free market is doing it's magic. United is in trouble, and now all other airlines have had a wake up call and passengers will benefit. No laws needed.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”