Unexpected Accusim experiences

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Unexpected Accusim experiences

Post by Medtner »

I'm still ferrying my Comanche home to Norway, currently being north-west of Greenland. Today I had a moderate leg from CYHI Holman Airport to CYRB Resolute Bay Airport. This is barren and lonely terrain, and a thorough walkaround before the flight is of importance.

Just over halfway, with about an hour of fast cruise flight left, my elevator trim tab just broke. I didn't see anything during the walkaround, but I may have been sloppy in the -30 degree Celcius outside.

This had the effect of pointing the plane towards the moon. Not a good direction for a Comanche - powerful as it is, it doesn't quite have the means to achieve escape velocity.

With the yoke I managed to keep it level, however difficult with porpoising all over the place. The extra drag made for less than full cruise speed and about one and a half our later I landed at Resolute Bay, tired in my arms from wrestling the aircraft to my destination.

Could have been worse - engine trouble would have been infinately worse, being so far from any suitable landing spot.

Anybody else with stories, feel free to post them here. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Unexpected Accusim experiences

Post by Caldemeyn »

Im not sure if others would agree but im almost more concerned with control failures than an engine failure, one can most of the time glide to a somewhat safe emergency landing, but losing an elevator completely or getting it or the rudder stuck in hard deflection...that is where the fun starts (sarcasm) :) even better if it happens fast during cruise and the plane overstresses :mrgreen:

Or a runaway stab in a boeing\bus, you won't be able to overpower it with the yoke 8) , good that there are built-in safety systems and procedures for that :)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Awesome experience Metner. Because of the rarity of these events, when they do happen, they catch you completely off guard, just like in the real airplane.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Indeed, and this is why I never fly AFK. If I have long stretches of transport I will be sitting next to my computer and read, always checking gauges and managing fuel.

I remember the scary crossing of the Atlantic in the 182 (Fortaleza to Sierra Leone via an island in the middle of the ocean). It was boring, but at the same time very exiting.

The question when accusimming is:

What if...?
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Caldemeyn wrote:Im not sure if others would agree but im almost more concerned with control failures than an engine failure, one can most of the time glide to a somewhat safe emergency landing, but losing an elevator completely or getting it or the rudder stuck in hard deflection...that is where the fun starts (sarcasm) :) even better if it happens fast during cruise and the plane overstresses :mrgreen:

Or a runaway stab in a boeing\bus, you won't be able to overpower it with the yoke 8) , good that there are built-in safety systems and procedures for that :)
You're right, of course. But with total loss of control over the airplane one has at least the quick and definate end. With the engine failure one can be roughed up from a hard emergency landing, in the middle of the islands (or ocean) in the north west Greenland-area.

I'd go for the punctuation mark rather than the comma in that case. :P
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Hehe in that light i agree :)
Still, if there is a chance then its better to reach for it, to quote Tyrion Lannister "death is so finite, life though is full of posibilities" :)

Next time my engine fails, i will drive the plane into the ground, now thats an exclamation mark worth of rememberance, maybe it will even look like one from above 8)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Not too long ago I was in my P-51 Civ in South America, run up was normal, T's and P's was in the green, so I lined up on the runway after my final checks I took of, runway was not the longest and just at I lifted off I had blue smoke from the right hand cylinders, winds were calm so I did a teardrop turn and landed in the opposite direction. Compression was low on two cylinders, engine kept running during my very short flight. All is good, but Accu-Sim sure does keeps you on your toes :D :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I love the fact that it isn't a matter of either/or.

In my Cherokee so have, during the course of much use gotten cylinders that, while still in the green, do produce less than the power as compared to being new.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I've had many a white knuckled flights thanks to accusim. I've also forced many failures just to experience them and see if I can survive. Very good training
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

One I posted a good while back in the Spitfire forum.

So I decide to take the Spit on a routine flight from EMO Mission to Port Moresby, via Kokoda. Top up all fluids, ready to go.

On startup.....thin trail of white smoke from the exhausts. OK, shut down, go to maintenance..no problems evident.

Startup again..."A new Pope" still. Ah well, the RPM is OK, mags OK, temps OK. There is some open country between here and Kokoda if we need it (OK, that may be overstating the case but there are definitely a couple of patches near Ilimo where I may not be killed outright!!) , even a "road" if we can dodge the PMVs on it!

The shortish flight to Kokoda goes without incident but is a LONG few minutes of watching the gauges like a hawk and waiting for any change in engine sound. I even manage to crack it for a headwind landing at Kokoda! Life is good and if the clouds hold off in this late afternoon, I'll drop down on Naduri to have a cuppa with Andy Ndiki. It's been nearly three years since I've seen him and his father Ovuru, who has since passed away....but that is for later. Time now though for a quick top up of the fuel tanks and a check of the fluids. A little coolant gone, a little oil gone. Hmmm.. in 10-15 minutes engine run, not great. A full check when we hit Moresby! (if??).

Startup again....white smoke. Is there more now?.. or is my imagination compensating for a 10 minute flight over "tiger country" before the mountainous jungle gives way to a few minutes of clearer (if near vertical!) land. There at least there are some difficult strips cut onto razor backs before it plunges back into a further 10 minutes of hell. After that there are the (largely) clearer lowlands down towards PM

....And there is a southerly.....so gliding clear will be nigh on impossible unless I climb to 20,000ft or so, putting further strain on the Merlin. Oh well, "Do you want to live forever?" as Baesell asked Miller.

(..hmmm, on reflection, not the best of thoughts to have...)

So with the radio tuned to AFRS, and "In the Mood" playing through the headphones, off we go. At least there are no Zeros around! White smoke.

Temps pressures OK, gear up. White smoke. Climb to 8000ft, white smoke. just a thin wisp. A look to the left side as we enter the valley, over at the high peak, opposite Isurava, that has frightened many and killed some. Up through the Kokoda Gap with one eye on the instruments and the other watching for the top of Mt Bellamy to pass and signal the first thinning out of the Jungle. And then ,there it is, the most densely populated and "clearest" section of the track. White smoke. Naduri below but sorry Andy, not this time. I need to keep this engine running and keep some altitude.

Temps, pressures, RPM, throttle response, all normalish but not quite normal??...or is it the several thousand square miles of aeroplane killing jungle down there awaiting me, if I press on, that is still playing on my mind and clouding my judgment?

White smoke.

As I decide to press on and set course for PM, I look over at the two extinct volcano craters to my left and all I can think of is the P-40 wreck site a moderate 20 minute odd struggle on foot from the old airstrip at Myola. Trees do wonderful things for aircraft...but at least HE survived, banged up but alive, parachuted out at low level after running out of fuel..or was it coolant...?? White smoke. Nearby, just over the ridge from Myola, the wreckage of the 206 that hadn't quite made it, neither did the pilot! Further West, lies the huge hole in the ground where the B-17 "went in" with a full load..and crew. How many aeroplane wrecks have I visited around here???

More white smoke.

Nose pointing towards Imita ridge now, knowing that after that the Goldie River then Owers Corner mark where the jungle gives way to Koitaki cattle station and some chance of survival in the event of engine failure. Just a few more minutes....damned white smoke. But that is fine, because now I have the building afternoon storms to worry about instead.

A few minutes and then there it is, the pass between the two towering peaks, where the track crosses Imita. Almost safe........ well, "-ish". The storms are not directly in my way yet. Maybe life IS good?

And then it happens. The white smoke stops. Never one for looking at the positives, I immediately glance at the temp gauge...am I out of coolant, oil, luck? Nope. All Ok. 75 oil and just on 90 water. Port Moresby just got a LOT closer...

So it went, down to PM and a good landing in the afternoon rainstorm (conditions that reminded me of another good landing by someone I knew, who later made one simple mistake ......but one too many).

What of my beloved Spit? Not a trace of white smoke, a little oil and coolant gone but not an alarming amount and no maintenance hangar issues at all. The old girl was obviously just having a bad day. She didn't have to take it out on me!

It never ceases to amaze me the feelings that this sim can evoke. Flying over all too familiar (and dangerous) terrain in a single engined aircraft. Your mind filling in the actual terrain...hardly noticing the computer graphics. Actually worrying about the aircraft because of Accusim. Feeling, against all reason, an almost totally genuine fear of something going wrong and going down over the jungle. Remembering people. Remembering places and things... happy, sad, tragic, dirty, disease ridden, unbearably hot, unbearably difficult and almost unbearably painful.....just wanting it all to be over and then when it is, desperately looking forward to the next time. Then being back "here" Climbing out of my sim and going to have a shower to wash off the accumulated sweat (and it was only 22C ) with pictures of that poor, sad P-40 still pushing themselves to the fore in my mind.

And finally, having that nagging worry that next time you may not be so lucky with that white smoke or, perhaps even worse, that the flight may be totally uneventful.....................

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

flashg50
Airman First Class

Post by flashg50 »

What a great read Darryl. You had me on the edge of my seat. Thanks
Mark
Image Image Image ImageImageImage

boomshinesaigon
Airman

Post by boomshinesaigon »

Wow, that was an excellent read, Darryl (Killratio). Thank you for sharing. If you've got more, then please keep posting!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Interesting stuff!

I recall how when panning the exterior view of the Comanche for some screens, I noted I was trailing some dark grey smoke. As I wouldn't have noted that in reality, I went on without any changes to my schedule but I was quite extra careful in monitoring any signs of trouble on the engine instruments. After landing, everything was ok in the hangar, and I realized I likely had accidentally pressed the smoke on/off key ('I' key wasn't it?). :mrgreen:

-Esa

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Guys!

Here is a link to the other one which happened in Papua New Guinea. This one is more CONSEQUENCE brought on by Accusim than "unexpected event" but certainly proves how you need to keep your head well and truly clear of all major rear orifices while flying or Accusim can bite you!! :)

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=54027

And another off France:

This one, I think, a random failure.

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=56765

regards

Darryl

(Esa, you should be ashamed of yourself :) :) :) )
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”