Plane Resurrection

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Plane Resurrection

Post by Tug002 »

I am not usually one to plug anything but for those of you that are interested in aircraft rebuilds I have come across a documentary on Netflix Canada called Plane Resurrection. The first aircraft is a rebuild of a P-51. Have not watched it all yet but so far so good.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Re: Plane Resurrection

Post by Ian Warren »

That is the sort of TV that should standard ! rather these rubbish soaps, singing comps, chat shows and game shows.

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

That P-51 is the one that crashed last year in England I believe. The restorer/owner /pilot survived(unknown injuries) but his passenger did not.

Still, this is a good series.
Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its on my watch list for netflix at the moment
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Post by clarkejw »

The Hurricane (No 2 ) from memory is outstanding. That was the Hurri they found in a schoolyard in India, a genuine BOB veteran. The rebuild was amazing. The time, dedication, (and vaults full of money thrown at it) was a testimony to the passion we all share. In my case, without the vaults of money!

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Its in my list. Awaiting the time to watch it.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the tip - had missed this one on Netflix.

I've now watched the first couple of episodes, and as Chris mentions above, one of them features "Janie" (45-11518, G-MSTG), a P-51D which sadly crashed in Norfolk last year resulting in the death of the 84 year old passenger and serious injury to the pilot/restorer Maurice Hammond. Very poignant watching the episode with this knowledge and I hope that Mr Hammond is continuing to make a good recovery. It's clear that he's a remarkable engineer and he'd been flying the restored "Janie" since 2001.

The second episode features the sole surviving BoB Hurricane, a Mk.I (R4118, G-HUPW) which is now operated by the Shuttleworth Collection. Mr Hammond made an appearance in this episode too, restoring the aircraft's Merlin III engine.

Well worth a watch based on the first two episodes...

Thanks,
Nick

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I have seen the full series and it is fantastic viewing. I think my favorites are the ones on Peter and his Fokker Dr.1 replica and Maurice Hammond's daughter Leah Young on flying the T-6 and working so hard to commemorate/memorialize the American flyers that were based over in England during WWII.

The episode on Maurice Hammond and the P-51D "Janie" plays into the magic of TV - of course they couldn't follow the rebuild of the aircraft, since it took place back in the 90's, it first flying in 2001, not to mention that the production for the series also didn't take place until well after Maurice Hammond had also done the restoration of the P-51D "Marinell" too (also seen in the episode, but never mentioned much). It does capture Maurice working on an unrelated P-51D doghouse, and some small brackets for adding oxygen bottles to the rear fuselage on "Janie".

As of last month, according to Maurice Hammond's family and friends, he has been up and around, tending to his companies, but not yet flying and with still a long recovery to be made and some surgeries still to undergo. It is hoped that they will be able to have "Janie" back from the AAIB within about a year or so, at which point whichever direction forward can be decided. (There was an announcement last year, just prior to the accident, that "Marinell" had been sold to a person in Italy, but I haven't heard anything on that front since.)

The next season of "Plane Resurrection" has been in the works already, and is slated to air in 2018. The next season is US-based, and covers various past/present Commemorative Air Force restorations/operations - including the B-29 FIFI, B-24 Diamond Lil, B-17, the B-25 Miss Mitchell and P-51C Tuskegee Airmen (two local birds), the P-39, Corsair, and more...
John Terrell

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well not sure about the US for for sure the UK Netflix its only just popped up with the most recent additions, hopefully the new season for 2018 will make it to netflix quicker because the US based ones with those subjects sounds like another cracking series! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”