FSX Demo

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Jawaka

FSX Demo

Post by Jawaka »

FSX demo released at gamespot:

Link

As far as I can tell, you have to sign up (monthly fee) to DL. I'm not joining but thought others might interested.

I imagine a free DL is coming soon.

EDIT:

free DL @ http://www.3dgamers.com - servers are full however

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

You can also get it at the offical FSX site and the speeds are ALOT better unless you pay for gamespot. I'm downloading now at about 400k from microsoft...

Here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsi ... loads.html

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Thanks for the news.I'm downloading it right now.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

mJolner
Airman

Post by mJolner »

I have played the demo for a few hours. A few bugs exist particularly with external Ac lighting. With the textures maxed things start to look really awsome. Did not notice any obvious changes with regard to flight model, landing physics do not seem to have changed much.

Here are my PC specs and game settings:

Althlon 64 4000+
MSI Neo4 Plat mobo
2Gb corsair DDR400
MSI 7900 GTX 512 84.25 drivers

FSx demo settings:

Graghics

1600x1200 32bit
FPS: Unlimited
Filtering: Ansiotropic
added 8x AA
Global textures: Very High (Max)
Lens flare: checked
Light bloom:checked
Advanced Animations: checked

Terrain and Water

All settings slider bars maxed to the right

Scenery settings slider bars normal

Cloud draw: 100miles

Clouds set to High Detail

So with fairly high settings, I flew around the default island in the Baron 58 with virtual cockpit ( not to shabby). The scenery looked pretty fantastic definitely better than FS9 default. Textures were rich and well defined from a distance. Water looked OK, maybe better with DX10.
My frame rate never dipped below 10 but never went higher than 35. Never experienced stutter of any kind. Keep in mind that I used low addon scenery objects, such as buildings. However, even at normal settings the island was literally covered in lush and obvious vegetation.

Overall impression: Not absolutely stunned with it but the demo is just a sample of things to come and appears to show promise. I just want to learn more about the physics side of things. I wish they included a major city, would definitely reveal more about the frame rate.

BM357_TinMan
Senior Airman

Post by BM357_TinMan »

just d/l, installed, and flew the FSX demo. It has an interface very similar to FS9, but without all the annoying graphical glitches and it is punched up a bit.

I think it looks really nice and I like the way you can select the A/C.

All in all, it is pretty impressive so far (bearing in mind it is still a work in progress). However there is one thing I was hoping for and didn't get.

In CFS3 and IL2, you can set up "profiles" so that if you have a yoke and a stick, you can easily choose a profile that disables one or the other. This is most convienent as sometimes, if you have an axis assigned to more than one input device, they can cause problems for each other.

As it is, in both FS9 and X-plane, if I want to switch between stick and yoke, I have to reassign the stupid relative axis' from the one I am currently using (stick or yoke) to the one I wish to use (yoke or stick).

This is a pain and I was hoping to see it resolved but alas, I guess people aren't bothered by it.....
BM357_TinMan
My planes of interest:
109E4
P51B/C/D
Would love to see WoP planes in X-Plane

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

I already got my B-17 in it. I flew it for a water landing. When I say it's reflection in the water as I was touching down it was just awsome.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wow you already have the B-17 in it cool.I really liked the water too 46th_terror.
I noticed the flour target mission in the demo.Even if FSX couldn't be hacked into a combat flight simulator maybe Shockwave could add a sophisticated and properly modeled norden bombsight and make bombing target missions for FSX at the very least.Major Joe would really like that.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Post by AC »

JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote:Wow you already have the B-17 in it cool.I really liked the water too 46th_terror.
I noticed the flour target mission in the demo.Even if FSX couldn't be hacked into a combat flight simulator maybe Shockwave could add a sophisticated and properly modeled norden bombsight and make bombing target missions for FSX at the very least.Major Joe would really like that.
Yeah, Instead of sacks of flour, we could drop blivits. :D

Two pounds of it in a one pound bag :!:

Since I'm on dial up it would take a couple of days to download that demo...Providing it would hang in there without dropping offline half way through!

If someone will send me the demo on CDs, I'll see if I can work out the ballistics and cobble up a" two bit" bombsight for us.

PM me and I'll send you my snailmail address. :D

BM357_TinMan
Senior Airman

Post by BM357_TinMan »

woo hoo!!

I read in another post that you can, in fact, save profiles, so now I'm giving it a try.

If it works, I'll be most happy...
BM357_TinMan
My planes of interest:
109E4
P51B/C/D

clowns789
Airman

Post by clowns789 »

The game is fun, but has its glitches. The graphics are incredible but I can't imagine how big the real FSX would be if a few Caribbean islands, 4 planes and a couple missions can amount to 1 GB.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

BM357_TinMan wrote:just d/l, installed, and flew the FSX demo. It has an interface very similar to FS9, but without all the annoying graphical glitches and it is punched up a bit.

I think it looks really nice and I like the way you can select the A/C.

All in all, it is pretty impressive so far (bearing in mind it is still a work in progress). However there is one thing I was hoping for and didn't get.

In CFS3 and IL2, you can set up "profiles" so that if you have a yoke and a stick, you can easily choose a profile that disables one or the other. This is most convienent as sometimes, if you have an axis assigned to more than one input device, they can cause problems for each other.

As it is, in both FS9 and X-plane, if I want to switch between stick and yoke, I have to reassign the stupid relative axis' from the one I am currently using (stick or yoke) to the one I wish to use (yoke or stick).

This is a pain and I was hoping to see it resolved but alas, I guess people aren't bothered by it.....
You CAN save configuration profiles in FSX, and not just controller profiles but complete config profiles, which include every possible setting, such as graphics, scenery, sound, etc. Basically, you can save and load the FSX.cfg file while the game is active without having to exit the game and restart it with another .cfg file, as you would need to do at present. (You can simply save the FS9.cfg under a different name, rename it to FS9.cfg, and restart the game but that's a pain).

BM357_TinMan
Senior Airman

Post by BM357_TinMan »

Yea, I found that and it is WAY better than the way I used to have to do it.

I used to have zip folders with my individual .cfgs that where directed to the correct location and before I started FS9 (if I wanted to fly with a yoke) I'd unzip my "Yoke" folder, or if I wanted to fly stick, then I'd unzip my "stick" folder. It was a pain

But NOW, all I have to do is select the profile I want. I can have low scenery settings, high scenery settings etc etc, it is WAY better.
BM357_TinMan
My planes of interest:
109E4
P51B/C/D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”