Garmin GTN in IMC

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Garmin GTN in IMC

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Just OBTW - so there I was - heading into KSUN (Sun Valley ID) yesterday - ORBX improved - for some skiing - big winter storm system just to the west of Sun Valley - unfortunately the storm beat me to the airport - LP Approach - had to go missed which I haven't done in a while - should have planned better and actually picked an alternate while more closely evaluating the weather conditions before takeoff... The ice probably would have killed me... It was fun though...

RE: RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 31

So anyway - to my question - so when an airport has both LP and LNAV on the same approach (no ILS available) does the GTN just default to the most accurate one ? If I recall an LP is more accurate than the LNAV as the guidance gets more precise as you approach the airport ? Initially LP approaches had to have vertical guidance for reference disabled - has that changed ? I definitely had vertical guidance on this approach and the autopilot flew it...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”