Is anyone running Pilots 2010 mesh on Steam?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Is anyone running Pilots 2010 mesh on Steam?

Post by AviationAtWar »

I've spent the last few days trying to transition to Steam and can't get my mesh installed. I'm waiting to hear back from Flight Sim Store but in the mean time I was wondering if anybody here has had any issues with this. I've completely uninstalled FSX and the mesh installer asks for the install location because it doesn't find FSX automatically. I point it to program files x86, Steam, Steam apps, Common, FSX and while the installer is running I do see a Pilot's folder in FSX has been created and is populating. At a certain point in the installation I get an error because the installer can't find the scenery configuration and it rolls the installation back. I've tried four times and have completely downloaded and extracted the software twice, I haven't flown my Connie in four days and I'm getting pretty frustrated!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Is anyone running Pilots 2010 mesh on Steam?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

When you uninstalled disc FSX did you also do the reg clean etc to utterly remove it from the system and the retsarts etc?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

AviationAtWar wrote:I've spent the last few days trying to transition to Steam and can't get my mesh installed. I'm waiting to hear back from Flight Sim Store but in the mean time I was wondering if anybody here has had any issues with this. I've completely uninstalled FSX and the mesh installer asks for the install location because it doesn't find FSX automatically. I point it to program files x86, Steam, Steam apps, Common, FSX and while the installer is running I do see a Pilot's folder in FSX has been created and is populating. At a certain point in the installation I get an error because the installer can't find the scenery configuration and it rolls the installation back. I've tried four times and have completely downloaded and extracted the software twice, I haven't flown my Connie in four days and I'm getting pretty frustrated!
Hi AviationAtWar,

I installed and am running Pilot's 2010 Mesh on a clean install of Win 10 and FSX SE. FSX, Orbx and Pilot's Mesh are installed on a dedicated SSD. I had no problem with installation or while running FSX.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Thanks, guys!

When I uninstalled FSX I first ran the Pilot's uninstaller and uninstalled FSX through control panel. There is an FSX folder still in place with some scraps that I was afraid to delete yet. My A2A stuff is still there and some of the files showed modified on a date after FSX was uninstalled so I wasn't 100% sure if I was safe to delete them. I've installed my A2A stuff in Steam and their conditions/hours are correct. The backup data comes only from the A2A folder in Documents, correct? I should be able to delete the old FSX folder in it's entirety?

I also had a problem with the Orbx Vector config tool not finding the sim and ran a config tool as directed by Orbx support. That fixed my Vector issue and I was hopeful that it would fix Pilot's too but it did not. When I ran the installer again after the config tool then it did find the sim automatically at the beginning but I still go the error. If I'm safe to delete the whole FSX folder I'll do that and run CCleaner again and see what happens.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It sounds like you will want to start over and remove FSX again both disc and steam edition, restart the system manually remove all folders and remove the reg keys and then restart the system again. There are a few guides out there to help.

thanks,
Lewis

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

So I finally heard back from FSS after a week and two emails, they wouldn't help and sent me to Pilot's (who clearly state they won't help with FSS's installer). The guy from Pilot's was great but said Pilot's Global 2010 was not meant for and will not work in Steam unless you specifically buy it on Steam. renaissanceman, did you buy yours directly through Steam or did you use the FSS download or disc version?

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

AviationAtWar wrote:So I finally heard back from FSS after a week and two emails, they wouldn't help and sent me to Pilot's (who clearly state they won't help with FSS's installer). The guy from Pilot's was great but said Pilot's Global 2010 was not meant for and will not work in Steam unless you specifically buy it on Steam. renaissanceman, did you buy yours directly through Steam or did you use the FSS download or disc version?
Hi AviationAtWar,

I did not buy Pilot's 2010 through Steam. I did download it but I don't remember if it was from FSS or another online shop. I will check later and report.

Hope this helps.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi AviationAtWar,

I did in fact buy Pilot's 2010 from FSS.

Jim

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Lewis - A2A wrote:It sounds like you will want to start over and remove FSX again both disc and steam edition, restart the system manually remove all folders and remove the reg keys and then restart the system again. There are a few guides out there to help.

thanks,
Lewis
The file directory's that are changed when you install both versions relate more to scenery than everything else. So it really doesn't surprise me that you would have issues if the directorys the installer looks for don't exist.

FSX-SE ideally MUST be installed in a totally clean system otherwise it will pick up a previous install and change a few directories to avoid issues having two versions of the sim installed.

thanks,
Lewis

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I was hoping to avoid three more days of uninstalling and reinstalling but it looks like it's going to unavoidable. Thanks, guys.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

AviationAtWar wrote:So I finally heard back from FSS after a week and two emails, they wouldn't help and sent me to Pilot's (who clearly state they won't help with FSS's installer). The guy from Pilot's was great but said Pilot's Global 2010 was not meant for and will not work in Steam unless you specifically buy it on Steam.
That's not correct. I too bought it from FSS and have it installed in FSX: Steam and P3D.

Cheers.
Steve.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I figured that was the case.

Last night I completely uninstalled everything, ran uninstallers, deleted all remaining folders, manually searched for FSX related files, disk cleanup and cleaned the registry. Downloaded and installed Steam again. The first add on I installed was the mesh and I still got the same error. I was able to babysit the installer this time though and was able to see what it was doing just before the failure. It gets through installing the mesh and then it fails while creating start menu items. What I did was control+alt+delete at the time of the error and I closed the installer, this prevented it from rolling the installation back. The Pilot's stuff did actually populate in the Start menu and I ran the Pilot's configuration tool there and it worked. So A. I give up; and B. I think I have it installed. It'll be a couple more days until I can get the rest of my Orbx stuff installed and fly.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

When you run the installer, after validating on-line, does it ask you if you want to check for an updated installer? Because mine does, every time so I click 'Yes' but it hasn't found a newer version for some time.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Yes, it does ask and I've tried both ways. It says I have the latest version.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

The only thing I can think of is that it might be a 'Permissions' thing with Windows and the Program Files (x86) folder, which is why I never, if I can avoid it, install any thing in there. In fact, I have FSX: Steam and P3D on different hard drives. I also have an Administrator account on my computer and is in fact the only account.

*EDIT*
Upgrading to FSGlobal Ultimate as I type. Image

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”