Commercial Training - Photo Heavy

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
flyboy4612
Technical Sergeant

Commercial Training - Photo Heavy

Post by flyboy4612 »

Hello all!

After completing my instrument rating back in June, I am now almost finished with my commercial rating. Last night I finally logged over 250 flight hours. I just have one more flight to make and then get the ok from the school to sign up for the checkride. It's been a pretty fun rating with multiple cross country flights and new flight maneuvers. I wanted to share a few photos I've taken over the last 6 months of training.

Getting checked out in the school's Cessna 172RG Cutlass has been one of the most exciting parts of this rating. I really enjoy flying it. It's relatively easy to fly and I find it to be a very stable aircraft. Personally, I think it's easier to land than the Skyhawk.

Below are photos from my long cross country requirement flight. I flew from central Oregon all the way up to Port Angeles in Northern Washington in the school's 2001 C-172 Skyhawk. I chose this flight because it would cover open areas, mountains, large metropolitan areas, and open bodies of water. I fly all of these places regularly in my sim and I wanted to see them in person. The route would take me across the Cascades over to the Portland/Hillsboro area. From there I would go north and fly over Olympia and the Puget Sound area. I would keep going North and hang a left in the Whidbey Island area and head west to Port Angeles. Having just received my instrument rating a few weeks prior, this was the first time I ever filed IFR on my own and it was such an adventure!

Weather for the day was VFR for most of the Northwest but there was the possibility of having to fly over some cloud layers along the route. The briefer said that none of the layers were very thick so any layers that hadn't burned off by the time I arrived would be relatively thin. Just as predicted in the briefing, once I approach the Portland area, the cloud layer started to appear. Eventually, the ground disappeared for about an hour.

As I worked my way North the cloud layer dissipated and the views the rest of the way were phenomenal. With the Seattle area off to my right and the Olympic National Park off to the left, it was definitely a great day to by flying. It was also really cool to be on an IFR flight plan and see how everything works outside of a training environment.

I made it to Port Angeles and landed at William R Fairchild International. The flight back was even better in regard to views because all of the cloud layers dissipated. Coming from an area with no water other than lakes, it was really thrilling to briefly fly over a large body of water and even see Canada in the distance. In total, I logged 6.9 hours in the Skyhawk and made landings at 3 airports that day. I was exhausted but it was a great time. Below are just a few photos going home.

Skirting the coastline on my way home just after departing Port Angeles

Looking over my shoulder to see Canada off across the water

Downtown Seattle off in the distance

Flying over Portland

Crossing the Cascades for the second time that day heading home
Last edited by flyboy4612 on 04 Dec 2016, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
All the best - flyboy4612
CFI

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Re: Commercial Training - Photo Heavy

Post by Ian Warren »

Great photos 8) , why the gear down ?

flyboy4612
Technical Sergeant

Post by flyboy4612 »

Ian Warren wrote:Great photos 8) , why the gear down ?
I was flying the Skyhawk on this flight as it is cheaper per hour than the Cutlass. No gear down would have meant something went terribly wrong :mrgreen:
CFI

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

MAYDAY MAYDAY .. I have these unwanted danggely things and can't find the UC lever .. DOH! Wrong Plane :lol:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nice pictures! What a scenic flight!

All the best for your commercial checkride!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Brilliant stuff, best of luck on the checkride, let us know when you have that rating.

Beautiful images! How'd you find the Cutlas compared to the Cessna's you had flown before?

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Absolutely beautiful scenery. You picked an awesome day to go train. Good luck with your training and "Blue Skies".

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and your story. Those mountain views are breathtaking.

Good luck on your upcoming checkride!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

An interesting story accompanied by great pictures. I very much enjoyed reading and looking at it all. :)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hey Flyboy, I've really enjoyed seeing you progress with determination through your ratings! Really good stuff and surely an inspiration for those who might be on the fence about whether they can still pursue a PPL and more!

flyboy4612
Technical Sergeant

Post by flyboy4612 »

Thanks for all the kind words folks!
Lewis - A2A wrote:Brilliant stuff, best of luck on the checkride, let us know when you have that rating.

Beautiful images! How'd you find the Cutlas compared to the Cessna's you had flown before?

cheers,
Lewis
I find the Cutlass to be pretty close to the Skyhawk. I enjoy the improved performance of the Cutlass thanks to the constant speed prop and retractable gear. It's not dramatically faster but you still notice a difference. Handling characteristics are very similar to the Skyhawk. However, I think the Cutlass is easier to land. I think the most challenging Cessna I've flown so far would have to be the Cessna 140 when I was getting my tailwheel endorsement. But that's a completely different ball game!
CFI

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Great pictures and a wonderful scenic flight. I'm hoping to get there one day in the not too distant future.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”