Should we allow some political discussions on the forum?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.

Yes, as long as it stays on the issues
28%
No politics on the forum
72%

Total votes: 116

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I have been admittedly on the fence on this one only because, personally I enjoy talking some politics with friends and family, or complete strangers for that matter. The key is it has to be respectful and on the issues.

Here is a good example:
I believe the X law should be passed because it will be good for A, B, and C, and this is why.

Bad example:
X is an idiot

I am truly on the fence on this one. I am leaning towards having no political discussions because of the slippery slope, but otoh, I do believe political discussion is healthy and necessary in any society. The question is can and should we be able to have it here?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

maddz
Senior Airman

Re: Should we allow some political discussions on the forum?

Post by maddz »

Hmmm it could get ugly when two people have very different views and can't agree to disagree. Having said that this a more mature forum than many out there so it's hard to say, don't see many problem users here tho, which I like :mrgreen:

....on the other hand if you, Scott, are here talking about politics, it's less time on getting the conny out the door.... :P

BrettT
Staff Sergeant

Post by BrettT »

As fascinating as political discussion can be, they can also be filled with some extremely strong opinions that can tend to be quite divisive and stubborn. Presently, you have a forum that puts these divisive personalities to the side to talk about a common interest/love - flying. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it :D

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I voted "No".

Reason. This forum is for FSX/FSX SE / P3D. If I want to enter a political discussion, I'll find a forum for that purpose. Meaybe even a forum where a comment like: " I'd Like an Accu-Simmed Lanc" would get me banned. :mrgreen:

That said this is a very mature forum. normally there is a lot of respect between members here, so should you choose to allow political discussions, I will of course stay. I'm free to, not read these discussions.

thanks for asking!
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Personally I feel that some discussions should only take place among like minded people. Politics and religion are not subjects I enjoy discussing in mixed company, and both usually lead to hurt feelings and angry rants. I already have reached the point where I'm not enjoying Facebook, and I'd prefer if this bastion of flight simulation didn't lend itself to these discussions.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I vote "yes" mainly because from what I can see the current policy of not banning stuff works very well here. :) Discussion of politics is rare on the A2A forums anyway, but when the odd politically orientated topic does crop up, it always seems to be respectful and measured.

Having said that, I can understand that forum members living in the US in particular may be sick to the back teeth of politics at this precise moment in time: it seems there's a swing to the "no" anyway! However, it seems a pity to ban all political discussions on the back of this, particularly as it would take some other potentially interesting subject matter off the table. (Climate science, to cite one recent example from the other thread.)

I guess nobody's forced to read or to post in the topics, except perhaps the forum mods now-and-again, just to check we aren't hurling abuse at each other! :mrgreen:

I say ban it only if we start talking about politics more than aviation! :wink:

Nick

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

One of my other hobbies is politics. I am a flaming liberal, but my oldest friend is an arch conservative. We endlessly discuss politics via email. We both think especially now one of the most patriotic things we can do is continue our discussion.

I am very pleasantly surprised with the intelligence of the political discussion and the lack of vitrol on the A2A forum. The discussion so far has been way above the level of other political forums I visit. Bringing in comments from all over the world is especially valuable. I commend Scott for allowing the discussion.

There may be times when discussion of major world events, such as our recent election, adds to the value of the forum. However, the forum should be mainly about flying and flight simming.

So my answer to the question is that occasionally discussing other subjects and other hobbies makes spending time on the forum pages much more worthwhile and enjoyable. Plus, it probably adds to forum traffic and the customer base and customer loyality.

Having said all of the above, when it comes to politics, at some point forum moderators will have to close the potentially endless discussion with "Thanks guys, time to move on."
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Both ways are a bit too extreme, all or nothing, people here are a creme of the crop and able to have intelligent discussions. Such topics shouldn't be a taboo, people grow by exchanging ideas, especially divisive ones. They are not children, which would warrant banning things for their own good. These are adults, if they won't be able to speak in a civil manner, then who will ? :)

However we are still human and everyone has only a fragment of the picture :) i believe that a mod will always be around to save the situation that is close to total derailment.
Last edited by Caldemeyn on 14 Nov 2016, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

IF, then please open a new topic far far down, at "other" or something... please not in the lounge...

Sure, the Trump thing is polarising, but this is an aviation and support forum. And as long it's not about the Air Force One or his 757, it has nothing to do with the topic..

Greets
Marc

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Voted no, for several reasons.

Firstly, some subjects like religion or politics tend to become heated very quickly, I'm not sure it's the desired ambiance in non-related forums.

Then I have absolutely no idea how competent people here are in politics, but I can't be far by assuming it's varied. I see no point in discussions by people from multiple countries having different level of knowledge, but whose main interest is probably not politics.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Over the years, I find Politics and religion good topics to stay away from .
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I am in the "no" camp typically, but this time I exceptionally will vote "yes". This is conditional on assumptions of discussions remaining polite, even if heated, and allowed to be locked with no hard feelings should the subject become too difficult. Sometimes even heated discussions are ok, and while in general I'd wish political or religious views to be avoided in forums not primarily for them, and especially in threads where they are out of place, every now and then I feel a political event or such may touch many enough, be interesting enough, and be important enough to allow some discussion. And sometimes this stands for important historical reasons, which can be relevant for a discussion considering aviation too.

On that ground, I vote yes - some political discussions should be allowed. In places where they do not belong, such as threads concerning purely aviation for instance, they should be left out. Of course, this is much to the respect of the forum and the community here. In most places, it would be an unconditional no. :)

-Esa
Last edited by AKar on 14 Nov 2016, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

remember, Scott, this is an international forum, your customers come from all over the world.. do you want to discuss about the problems of the EU? Shall the Europeans discuss about US (Or american at all) politics without living and feeling there? In Germany for example we have nothing but anti-Ttrump-propaganda in the medias but NO real information at all..

In my opinion it does not make sense.

The Chinese? The Japanese? Thai? South Americans?

Greets again ^^

Marc

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Nick M wrote:I vote "yes" mainly because from what I can see the current policy of not banning stuff works very well here. :) Discussion of politics is rare on the A2A forums anyway, but when the odd politically orientated topic does crop up, it always seems to be respectful and measured.
I agree and also voted YES also because i do not want to see too much "do not do that" signs here, why? because we can behave pretty well without them!

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

While I do appreciate a stimulating conversation on politics, I don't think this forum is a place for it. This forum is above par with it's membership in levels of maturity, but these conversations can and do become out of control quickly. While I do keep myself informed on the political scene here in the U.S. and try to keep up with friends across the pond, it is easy to get "lost" with the amount of misinformation presented by various state media outlets. I, personally, have found it easier to get information by communicating directly with members here via PM when I have a question on politics abroad or confirming 3rd party information sources or events.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”