Saitek rudder brake broke

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
crazac
Technical Sergeant

Saitek rudder brake broke

Post by crazac »

My Saitek Cessna rudder brake (right side) pedal has broke. The other day I heard a pop and now there is no tension on the brake. It is completely loose. Something obviously let go on the inside.

Before I rip into it, I was wondering if anyone here has had this issue or heard of it before? Or any other clues/insight to look out for? So far, my initial research has only turned up software issues and not much help.

Thanks,

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Saitek rudder brake broke

Post by cflord »

If you physically heard a pop, then I highly doubt it's a software issue. More than likely it's a tension spring that broke or something along those lines. How old are the rudder pedals and will taking them apart to see what the problem is void any warrantees?

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :?:

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

You will probably find a plastic spring mount has cracked off. I had this issue about a year ago after about 5 years of pretty constant use. I pulled it all apart and its pretty difficult to fix. I ended up buying a new set of Saitek Cessna rudder pedals which I am very happy with. The shape and action is better than the old Pro Flight ones.
Cheers
Trev

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Thanks guys. You confirm what I was thinking.

I got them in 2014 and they really haven't had a lot of use. :oops: I tend to be to busy. So, once a week if I was lucky, in monthly stints, and no time lately. :cry:
I'll make it a Saturday project and see what I can do. I hope they're not spent. That would be a bugger.

Cheers, I'll follow up with the outcome.

gbinoz
Airman

Post by gbinoz »

Also had this happen to mine.
Really a case of an under-engineered part almost designed to fail.

gb.
YSSY

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

This happened to me too. Right pedal first, second one pretty fast after. Just after maybe half a year of non excessive use. I guess that's what is called "Saitek" I've never been a fan of their products although the pedals never had any problems with the drivers... The spring holding piece of plastic broke. I have been dealing with it for more than 4 years now and I am going to do so in the future, as I keep my money back for the Connie, FSL A320 and PMDG 747, after these releases I may go for some pedals of higher quality. Dudley posted some obviously very good pedals some weeks ago and I think I will go for them.

Greets,
Marc

IBOMiles
Airman Basic

Post by IBOMiles »

Looking to buy for cheap: Broken Cessna Rudder Pedals to do some DIY imagination.

IBOMiles
Airman Basic

Post by IBOMiles »

Looking to buy for cheap: BROKEN SAITEK CESSNA RUDDER PEDALS for DIY imagination.

IBOMiles
Airman Basic

Re: Saitek's Cesasna rudder brake toe broke

Post by IBOMiles »

I'm having a long email conversation with Logitech regarding the Cessna Variant of the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals on this matter. Below are some of the more relevant emails between us. I have attempted to impress upon them the importance of this issue to those users in our flight simulation community. Also the design of the Non-Cessna variant is not a good option for many Cessna Flyers who desire authenticity. Logitech really needs to hear from the flight simulation community to really get things moving. See email address below. Please pass on to other individuals and forums who have a vested interested in this matter. Thanks.

======================================================

Thanks Megan and please pass on the following to Management:

IMHO,

The flawed piece (images attached) should be re-engineered with metal (not plastic) or at the very least supported with a metal brace across the crack area..

Another option would be to continue the plastic but with a reduced tension on the return spring. I understand this could result in inadvertent braking so the reduction in tension must be carefully determined to avoid this.

Thanks for listening,

IBOMiles

4/4/17
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 12:17 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: plastic piece on brake broken [04860427] [] [ ref:_00Di0j2Ck._50031mLemC:ref ]

Your feedback has been forwarded to our Saitek Management department. They have replied with the following:

"Thank you for raising your feedback and concerns.

Unfortunately, currently, we do not have any spares available, but we work with customers, who are within warranty, to find a workable solution to ensure they have fully functional product.

As part of the MadCatz to Logitech acquisition certain Saitek products were discontinued. All the products which are still available after the Logitech acquisition can be seen in our Saitek website: saitek.com.

We can inform you, that Logitech is working at getting spares available for products with continued with."

For future reference your case reference number is 04860427. This will allow us to quickly find the contact history when you need additional help. If we do not receive a reply, your support request will eventually be closed and set to "solved". A survey will be sent to you to gather your feedback.

To contact us by phone or obtain additional information (FAQ's, Forum, Manuals, etc.) please visit support.logitech.com

Best regards,

Megan
Logitech Customer Care
support.logitech.com

4/2/17
For Logitech Management,

My information indicates you acquired this product line from Mad Catz just a few months ago and you have now discontinued the product? That is outright alarming. So now simmers who purchased the Cessna pedals for close to $200 are S. O. L.?

Logitech has the ability to replicate the broken plastic part for pennies. This is a common problem!! We simmers are willing will pay the cost by buying the part. Instead you seem to be saying Logitech intends to just leave us (the loyal customers) hanging. You know . . . .many of us ( not: "we all") have a variety of Logitech products in use now.

Why were we asked to send pictures to you people if Logitech never had any intention of providing customer service for my broken plastic lower return spring retainer Cessna Rudder Pedals?

Replacement. The design of the other Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals for PC and Mac are not a good option for me. we don't like having my whole foot on the rudder pedal. It’s not authentic for Cessna Flyers.

We’re not asking that you folks continue the Cessna Line . . just provide the part for this common problem at no cost to you so we can continue to use our Cessna Rudder Pedals costing around $200.

We anxiously your reply which we intend to share with all the popular flight sim forums.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I am going to put my two cents in here and probably get myself in trouble but I have heard more issues with Saitek quality on the forum than any other brand. I used CH pedals for many years and then a pair of G940 pedals for seven or eight years until I got my Crosswind jobs. I never had a mechanical problem with either the CH or G940 stuff but they still don't stand a candle to my Crosswind pedals. The crosswind pedals are worth every penny. So if you plan to stay with the hobby and even if you have to take out a loan get yourself a pair of Crosswind pedals and be done with the mediocre quality and performance of the plastic marvels. Spend $350+ for performance and durability or spend $175-$200 for a steaming pile of mediocrity. :D :D

IBOMiles
Airman Basic

Post by IBOMiles »

I looked at a few MFG Reviews. Really nice product, But of course you get what you pay for. Is $350 big money for rudder pedals? Well I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I my case my $169.00 Saitek Cessna Rudder Pedals just crapped out with broken plastic. << Ugh!!.>> Because of the [[Mad Catz / Logitech thingy]], spare parts are currently unavailable with no timetable in the near future. Although they are still some what usable, the realism took a major hit. So now I'm forced to either limp along with Saitek until spare parts are available or just move on with another set of rudder pedals. New mediocre rudder pedals for another $150 - or so will put my total out of pocket in the range of the MFGs. I hate that.

Had I known about the MFGs, I may have sprung for them and endured the tongue lashing from my wife. I don't know what I'll yet. However, there are two things I wish the MFGs had: 1) rudder damping, and 2) Cessna -like pedals. Maybe 2) will be available in the near future.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

IBOMiles wrote:I looked at a few MFG Reviews. Really nice product, But of course you get what you pay for. Is $350 big money for rudder pedals? Well I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I my case my $169.00 Saitek Cessna Rudder Pedals just crapped out with broken plastic. << Ugh!!.>> Because of the [[Mad Catz / Logitech thingy]], spare parts are currently unavailable with no timetable in the near future. Although they are still some what usable, the realism took a major hit. So now I'm forced to either limp along with Saitek until spare parts are available or just move on with another set of rudder pedals. New mediocre rudder pedals for another $150 - or so will put my total out of pocket in the range of the MFGs. I hate that.

Had I known about the MFGs, I may have sprung for them and endured the tongue lashing from my wife. I don't know what I'll yet. However, there are two things I wish the MFGs had: 1) rudder damping, and 2) Cessna -like pedals. Maybe 2) will be available in the near future.
I agree I didn't like the pedal configuration of the Crosswind pedals and I had planned from the gitgo to make my own replacements so I could put my heels on the floor and use the balls of my feet. I made them out of a piece of laminate flooring which is similar to the material the Crosswind pedals use and it worked great. The back side of the laminate is smooth so it does not require any sanding. Just paint them. I used non skid spray paint. I am a scrounger and have a supply of left over laminate discarded from flooring jobs in my neighborhood. :D The angle of the pedals are adjustable and you can design any pedal shape you like. Mine were inspired by the P-38 pedals. The pedals are secured with two cap head machine screws so changing them out is easy. I had a exchange with the guy who makes the Crosswind pedals and he liked my replacements. I had hoped he would make my style of pedal an option. If you decide to order them and the wait is similar to a year or so ago it will give you time to put aside the money as you don't pony up until they ship. What you will like about the pedals is their smooth, linear and long travel. I don't think you will wear them out in normal use as they use input devices other than potentiometers. All the pivots use ball bearings. Worth the money in my opinion.

IBOMiles
Airman Basic

Post by IBOMiles »

Nice pedals.

'Gettin up the green is no big thang'. I can't get past the 'double-buy dilemma' to bolt for the MFGs. For now, I'm back to "twistin my Logitech Extreme 3D". Also Logitech is promising spare parts hopefully within 30 days. I can 'cool my jets' and fly on the 'down low' for that. Saitek has the style of pedals and rudder damping which is a major hook for me..

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”