How to post Avitar's

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

How to post Avitar's

Post by cflord »

Does anyone know how to contact the Board Administrator? I have been unable to post a small pic 120x90 and no more than 15kb to my profile. I made a 120x90 4.5kb jpg file and avatars would not download it from my computer. I tried changing the jpg extension to bmp and avastars still would not take it. I read in one of the forum discussions that I may have to ask the Board Administrator for permission to use the avatar system, is this correct? If so then I would like to humbly ask the Board Administrator for permission to add my pic.

Cliff
[email protected] :shock:

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I have been having the same problem and finally gave up trying to add an avatar. Whenever I try all goes well until I hit <Submit> and then I get a string of error messages at the top of the new page that last maybe 5 seconds before they disappear. I tried both jpg and gif formats and they would not work and the files were smaller than the limits in both dimensions and file size.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I think there is something wrong with the system's ability to host avitars. Right now, you need to host it somewhere else - that should work.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Free Avatars Image Hosting Gallery

Post by cflord »

OK fellow flyers, here is the address of a Free Avatars Image Hosting Gallery: www.avatarimage.net. You can upload your image (jpg or gif) to this site and then bring it into this forum when updating your profile. If you have any problems, there is a help link on this site to answer your questions. After your pic is uploaded to the Image Hosting Site, right click on the pic, go to properties, and copy the address where the pic is located. Paste or write the whole address into your Shockwave Profile in the area for loading an image. The following is an example for the pic I downloaded:
url=http://www.avatarimage.net/imagehosting ... 786656.jpg

Good Luck;
Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Cliff :P

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Thanks for that Cliff I now have a pic with my name :wink: .
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

Thanks for the info.
Should the Avatar pic not be below on the left?
Now that I see it here I like it better at my signature.
http://www.avatarimage.net/gallery/disp ... ?pos=-2007
Last edited by Joachim on 27 Jun 2008, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942
Obergefreiter und Flugzeugfuehrer 1944[img]

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

You need to copy the line of text you used to get your picture in the message body and then go up to the top of the page and click on the yellow Profile button/text. This will open up your personal profile on the forum. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Avatar section and paste the line of text into the middle box where it says...

Upload Avatar from a URL:

...Then click on <SUBMIT> and your picture should appear under your forum name.
Larry

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

OK:
I copy this line in this mssg body:
Next I go to top of this page and click on yellow profile button text.
I now go to bottom of profile page and paste same line in:
Then I click <SUBMIT> and this is what I get.

Something not correct or missing?
The URL line is correct as clicking on it proofes.
Any suggestions please.
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

Joachim wrote:OK:

The URL line is correct as clicking on it prooves.
Do I need shockwave modorators approval?
Any suggestions please.
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Joachim wrote:OK:

The URL line is correct as clicking on it proofes.
Any suggestions please.
Joachim, I think the problem is that the image you are trying to use is way too big for the forum software to handle as an avatar. The avatar upload section states the following....
Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 120 pixels, the height no greater than 90 pixels, and the file size no more than 15 KB.
I checked the link to the image you are trying to use and that site says your image is 864 x 1152 pixels and 142 KB. I would suggest you try reducing the size of the image so that it fits both the pixel limits and the file size limits and try again.

If you don't know how to do that or do not have photo editing software capable of doing it let me know and I will make it smaller for you.
Larry

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

Larry.
Thanks for the offer.
I cropped the pix down to 1542 bytes and almost nothing left.
Will try to take another shot with my camera at it and see if I can do better so not have to crop it to pieces.
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Joachim wrote:Larry.
Thanks for the offer.
I cropped the pix down to 1542 bytes and almost nothing left.
Will try to take another shot with my camera at it and see if I can do better so not have to crop it to pieces.
You don't need to CROP the image (i.e. cut pieces off it to make it smaller) you need to RESIZE or SCALE it to make it fit within the limits.

Resize it to the acceptable dimensions first and if it is still too large for the file size constraints then when you save it as a JPEG reduce the quality setting to get it down to LESS THAN 15kb.

A tip so you don't have to keep taking the same photo is to only edit a COPY of the original (do a SAVE AS as soon as you open it in your editing software). Then if you mess up in the editing you can start over with the original UNALTERED file.
Larry

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

I hope I won't add to the confusion:
I grabbed Joachim's picture from his post above. It is 100x90 pixels only and only 3kB. It MAY be the issue is it is 100 pixels high - Tako said only 90 are allowed. So, either stretch it a bit or crop or scale it to make it smaller a bit in all dimensions. We could try this but that would fruther loose picture quality, so it is better to start from a bigger scan and then scale that down and go to JPG as last step.

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

Larry.
Pix is down to size.
Using any of the five links will not do the trick.
Must still do not do some or miss something.
Code 1 and 2 will insert pix into mssg.
3-5 will insert avatar image address.
6 no pix and no address.
Followed your line of instructions.
Can you help some more?

http://www.avatarimage.net/gallery/disp ... ?pos=-2022
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Osram saw that your previous attempt was too large in one dimension (height) and when I just checked the latest image you linked to it is STILL too tall.

The linked page says it is 80 pixels wide x 116 pixels tall. The avatar will ONLY work if the height is 90 pixels or less. You are now just wrong in one dimension instead of both and the file size is good so you are getting closer Joachim :wink: .

Try shrinking the image again from your ORIGINAL scan. If you keep editing the avatar image and saving as JPG the quality of the image will get very poor very quickly due to the way JPG files throw out data with each successive save. Always try to work from the original file and save it as a JPG once only.

What software are you using to edit the image? If we knew that maybe someone could give you step by step instructions on how to do it in one go.
Larry

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”