for STOL fans

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
crazac
Technical Sergeant

for STOL fans

Post by crazac »

A rad ride and cool little overview of the Just Aircraft Super STOL. It's amazing to see the STOL market evolve and what they can do. That leading edge is crazy.

Vid from Oshkosh 2016
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jln9xNL3bH8[/youtube]
Last edited by crazac on 26 Aug 2016, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: for STOL fans

Post by Piper_EEWL »

That's pretty awesome. Those STOL aircraft never fail to impress me. But those slats are not a new invention. The Socata Rallye from the 70s had a similar concept which brought the stall speed right down. In combination with giant fowled flaps a Lycoming O-360 and a constant speed prop it made it a pretty good tow plane that was also able to do a 110kt cruise.

Thanks for sharing

Oh btw I'm sure you meant Just Aircraft and not Just Flight right :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Piper_EEWL wrote:But those slats are not a new invention. The Socata Rallye from the 70s had a similar concept [...]
As did the Messerchmitt Bf 109 I believe: http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/techref/s ... /slats.htm. I reckon it must be pretty hard for designers to come up with anything genuinely 'new' in general aviation, considering all the things which have been tried and tested over 100 years and two world wars. In fact...
This slat design was first proposed by Sir Frederick Handley Page around 1919.
Impressive aircraft anyway! :)

Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nick M wrote:As did the Messerchmitt Bf 109 I believe.
True. Why haven't I thought about that :roll: The Messerschmitt 108 also had those slats. They're a pretty good device in my opinion.
Nick M wrote:I reckon it must be pretty hard for designers to come up with anything genuinely 'new' in general aviation, considering all the things which have been tried and tested over 100 years and two world wars. In fact...
Very true. Not only in GA though. That accounts for all of the technologies that are 100years old and older. But the "little" steps that improve our devices and machines are still impressive in my opinion. Just look at the fuel consumption of cars.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Piper_EEWL wrote: Oh btw I'm sure you meant Just Aircraft and not Just Flight right :wink:
:mrgreen: Roops. You got me. I'll edit that. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised it's all been done before. The wings made me think of Airliners and it's good to know that came from 1919 :shock: . I guess, I'm impressed with how far down the consumer pipe it's gone. None the less, still rad.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Great airplane. I love this kind of stuff. My Super Cub has the wing slats. The Wing Slats have been around for a while, not really a new concept. I think I'll do some Bush flying today!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8) 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

But those on the this Cub are fixed no?

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Yes Piper, Those leading edge slats are fixed. The fixed leading edge slats, flaps, and drooped ailerons (when flaps are placed down) give this Super Cub it's STOL capabilities. Other Super Cubs use moveable leading edge slats and some even use vortex generators to achieve their STOL capabilities. There are STOL kits of all types available for all types of GA airplanes. It's amazing what us flyers can think up some times!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :)

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Speaking of stol with slats don't forget the Fieseler Storch!

Also I found this regarding slats, I didn't know this. It's interesting that the patent office thought they knew best!
Slats were first developed by Gustav Lachmann in 1918. A crash in August 1917, with a Rumpler C aeroplane on account of stalling caused the idea to be put in a concrete form, and a small wooden model was built in 1917 in Cologne. In 1918, Lachmann presented a patent for leading-edge slats in Germany. However, the German patent office at first rejected it as the office did not believe in the possibility of increasing lift by dividing the wing.
Independently of Lachmann, Handley Page Ltd in Great Britain also developed the slotted wing as a way to postpone stall by reducing the turbulence over the wing at high angles of attack, and applied for a patent in 1919; to avoid a patent challenge, they reached an ownership agreement with Lachmann. That year a De Havilland D.H.9 was fitted with slats and flown. Later, a D.H.4 was modified as a monoplane with a large wing fitted with full span leading edge and back ailerons (i.e. what would later be called flaps) that could be deployed in conjunction with the leading-edge slats to test improved low speed performance. Several years later, having subsequently taken employment at the Handley-Page aircraft company, Lachmann was responsible for a number of aircraft designs, including the Handley Page Hampden.

Licensing the design became one of the company's major sources of income in the 1920s. The original designs were in the form of a fixed slot in the front of the wing, a design that was found on a number of STOL aircraft.
Full page here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading-edge_slats

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Post by dacamp66 »

the Fiesler Storch is an WW2 German recon and liason aircraft that is one of the first (and most famous) to use slats.
check out this vid, the aircraft takes off in about 30 to 40 METERS! IN RELATIVELY STILL AIR! the aircraft could even (with a pilot of sufficient skill) do a hovering takeoff in a strong breeze!
Linky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZouzzfZcrg
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

For the Fieseler Storch also watch Kermit Weeks Kermie Cam on it:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

crazac
Technical Sergeant

for STOL fans

Post by crazac »

Wow the Storch is so rad. I had no idea.

I learned all kinds of things in this thread so far to. Including about pterodactyl, how to spell it, design history and that the Chancellor of Germany flew in a Connie. Really cool to see that there. Whenever I get back to Florida, I'm definitely stoping at that museum.

Thanks for the vids and info. I now have some new dream goals.
Last edited by crazac on 28 Aug 2016, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Just saw 2 Storch flying at an airshow a week ago (check my thread: Classics). Amazing plane. They did a couple of flybys, due to the headwind involved they were nearly standing in the air - minimum airspeed 25kt. On landing they touched down, rolled out for about 10m and vacated. Truly impressive.
Kind regards, Matthias

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”