Finally a CFI

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Finally a CFI

Post by afcraig2010 »

Just wanted to let everyone know I finally became a CFI today. The last video I recorded with voice was really loud on the voice side. Never investigated it yet. I'll probably be really busy now. I have students scheduled on Saturday already haha.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Finally a CFI

Post by DHenriques_ »

afcraig2010 wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know I finally became a CFI today. The last video I recorded with voice was really loud on the voice side. Never investigated it yet. I'll probably be really busy now. I have students scheduled on Saturday already haha.
Congratulations. We need good CFI's.
Dudley Henriques

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Well done Craig. Congratulations.

Haven't heard from you lately on the forum - now I reckon we know why!

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Yea I've been pretty busy between moving, finishing CFI, and now finishing college.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

I know it is not an easy ride. Iirc, mine lasted most of the day. Oral part was in the a.m. - flight portion in the afternoon... a very long day indeed.

The CFI initial ride had to be taken with an FAA examiner from a FSDO (DuPage in my case) when I did mine. Don't know if that has changed i.e. if a DPE is allowed to do that now. But the whole thing with the FAA guy was fantastic. Thorough, but a great guy. Initially I was as nervous as the proverbial long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. But he did his best to put me at ease so I could demonstrate to the best of my ability. Afaik, they aren't supposed to "teach" - inevitable I think every examiner does. And I sure was appreciative of the things he passed on to me - little nuggets / tips here and there.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Initial CFI checkrides require the applicant to contact the FSDO first. They will decide if they will let you take it with one of their trusted DPEs. Not all DPEs can do it. There's two in the Sacramento FSDO that have received that blessing. I took it with one of them, but would have also done it with an FAA inspector. Really ended up being who had the soonest availability lol. And yea, they're not supposed to teach, but some things just slip out because it's a good time to mention them. My oral was about four hours and the flight was shy of two hours.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Congratulations. A lot of work, and I am sure a lot of satisfaction. Since you are in the Sacramento area and I am in the SF Bay Area I was wondering if you would share what airport you are working out of. If you would rather not it is ok. Just wondering since you are apparently within a short flight of Reid Hillview.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I didn't notice your signature at first -- I see you are in Marysville.

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

Yea I'm in Yuba City. I've flown to RHV once.
Craig
CFI, ATP (Q400)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Congrats on earning your CFI! I hope you'll be busy, but no so busy that you can't continue to post your stuff on YouTube.

Thank you for the P-40 landing video by the way! A fellow posted a couple P-47 videos on YouTube, and he was discussing the poor view over the nose of that P-47 on final approach. It's worse than the P-40! I referred him to your video, and the P-47 training film on Zeno's Warbird Drive-in.

Happy Landings!
ATB

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

Congratulations! :D

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Congratulations on becoming a CFI! That's awesome!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Congrats, nice accomplishment!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8) 8) :D

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Congratulations! Great achievement and noble task of passing on what you've learned so far and in the future. Good instructors, good teachers - highly important, highly valued people!

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good job! Glad you got that last bit finished off, look forward to the lessons on Tuesday night MP sessions and stream :mrgreen: 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”