Tips for Chicago...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Vdj555
Airman Basic

Tips for Chicago...

Post by Vdj555 »

Hey guys I got a question for the members in the Chicago area..

On the 4th of july I'll be coming to the usa for the first time.8)
Unfortunately it"s for work but there will probably be a couple days in my two week visit where I have the chance to visit Chicago. (The customer is a two hour drive from there)

I have heard from my boss that the chicago museum of science and engineering is a must visit (u-505 8) 8) )but do you guys know some other great sight-seeing/must-do/drinking :wink: activities??

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Tips for Chicago...

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Vincent,

I've been to Chicago a couple of times and it's a great city. I can recommend the usual sights of course. Sears tower (or Willis tower or whatever it is called now) is pretty impressive and I would definetly recommend having a drink at the signature lounge in the 96th floor of the John Hangcock Center Preferably just before sunset. Great view over downtown Chicago if you're able to get a window seat.

Oh and yes U-505 is ver impressive.
Last edited by Piper_EEWL on 21 Jun 2016, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I haven't been there in a few years but the Shedd Aquarium is awesome. Tickets are expensive though.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Just watch the Waiters, they can be a bit snooty..snotty, whatever....

https://youtu.be/PDoYXZHK9aQ?t=3s
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

And whatever you do, stay in tourist oriented areas and don't get lost. Chicago is not a friendly place if you end up in the wrong neighborhood...
Joe

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I would have suggested Meigs Field... but well...

Vdj555
Airman Basic

Post by Vdj555 »

Alright guys thanks so much for the tips! I will definitly try to work them in my Schedule!

Definitly a shame about meigs though, cool airfield 8)

Btw about some areas in chicago not being safe, lemme guess? Gang violence? :wink:

Vdj555
Airman Basic

Post by Vdj555 »

Also, ferris bueller, classic :D

Corporal Cop
Airman

Post by Corporal Cop »

Hello Vincent. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs and I have been down town on the 4th of July. I'm sorry to say that you are not going to enjoy your visit as much as you would like due to the HUGE number of people flooding the city on the holiday. The roads will be jam packed and all the attractions as well. Over a million people pack the lake front for the fireworks on the 3rd of July and on the 4th at Navy pier. Must see museums are the Shedd aquarium, Field museum, Art Institute and The Museum of Science and Industry. Each one of the museums can take all day so plan ahead. With huge crowds of people there is a risk of theft from your person. Don't put your wallet in your back pocket. If your hotel has a safe, keep most of your valuables there. It will most likely be very hot outside, but walking is always your best option. Transportation and food are expensive in the city. Get a good map of the down town area and stay away from any areas that look run down. Try to pace yourself, because it's such a big city with so much to see it can be exhausting. You are going to have an adventure that will present challenges. Always be aware of the people around you and don't get lost! Finally, check out this link. http://www.divvybikes.com/

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

Just to add to the others...
2 hours could mean Milwaukee, or very close to Chicago depending on traffic. Take the train, walk downtown. Don't stray off course too much, you won't have a problem. It is a large city on a holiday weekend. The rules are the same for Chicago as anywhere else. Eyes open, aware of your surroundings.

Depending on where you're coming from, drive to and park at MSI and have a great time there. If you're heading to any of the others, or the loop, park at a metra or CTA lot and take the train. Rosemont and Forest Park have nice safe lots on the blue line. Metra has many options, and even Amtrak from Milwaukee.

Again, holiday weekend. This is NYE anywhere else. Come back on an average weekend and the city is totally different. There is no shortage of great places to eat and drink. If you want deep dish pizza order online from home and they'll fedex it to you. Don't waste your few downtown experiences on that. (also you have to walk a lot afterwards, remember)

Has no one been to Detroit? Easy on my town guys :) (Sorry Detroit, you've been nothing but nice to me)

http://www.transitchicago.com/ http://metrarail.com
-mike

FishermanIvan
Airman First Class

Post by FishermanIvan »

Go see the Bean!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I think Chicago may have a problem.
http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/

spadjockey
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by spadjockey »

Killratio wrote:Just watch the Waiters, they can be a bit snooty..snotty, whatever....

https://youtu.be/PDoYXZHK9aQ?t=3s
I live 2 hours south of there and my wife is from the suberbs.
I have never noticed that

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

If you head to the South Side, just beware of a man named Leroy Brown. Baddest man in the whole damn town.

;)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

bastins wrote:If you head to the South Side, just beware of a man named Leroy Brown. Baddest man in the whole damn town.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”