A little dogfight hehe

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jaffa
Airman

Post by jaffa »

eif87 wrote:Nice! I've always wanted to do that in flight sim with, despite the lack of effects, etc....Some of you wanna get together and have a little dogfight just for fun? Maybe we could rely on the buddy system to know when one has shot down an aircraft (ie, holding the reticule on a plane for 6 seconds, or sticking to someones six for a minute, etc.)...it could be fun, especially with the P-51 and 109 :twisted:
If you just try a sim that allows shooting(IL2) then you wouldnt have to guess.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

jaffa wrote:If you just try a sim that allows shooting(IL2) then you wouldnt have to guess.
Not all of us are fond of (IL2) ... Thank God there are plenty of other CFS out there.

HOWEVER the point being made is that no CFS has the appearances (look) of FS9/X, so why something less spectaular for the sake of "shooting" someone down?
Snuffy

Bomber
Airman

Post by Bomber »

Also remember to shoot you've got to have ballistics modeled.. you need damage boxes modeled to take damage, and extra alpha layer textures of various distress and geometry swaps to show damage... and all of this has go to be communicated from the damaged plane, to the server to the attacking plane...

This has a knockon effect on your CPU useage and thus FPS so you juggle one part of the sim in favour of another...

Flight sim doesn't have any of those problems it just concentrates on the undamaged visuals and the results are obvious...

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

Well I was goofin around a while back in a FW-190 and flew to close to a C-172. This being right after a fresh install I had forgotten to turn the aircraft collision off and next thing I knew I had lost a wings and was a spining fireball headed towards the ground. So there is some damage model there...

jaffa
Airman

Post by jaffa »

Bomber wrote:Also remember to shoot you've got to have ballistics modeled.. you need damage boxes modeled to take damage, and extra alpha layer textures of various distress and geometry swaps to show damage... and all of this has go to be communicated from the damaged plane, to the server to the attacking plane...

This has a knockon effect on your CPU useage and thus FPS so you juggle one part of the sim in favour of another...

Flight sim doesn't have any of those problems it just concentrates on the undamaged visuals and the results are obvious...
But then you cant truly dogfight just merely fantasize about it. FS may be a little "prettier" than the likes of IL2, (but then FS is a lot newer) but at least you dont have to fantasize about dogfighting. I would much rather see my MG and cannon rounds actually fly into my enemy than have to constantly wipe the spit off my monitor from all the fantasy MG noise I would have to make.

I do love the looks of all the shockwave planes in the FS environment but the lack of actually being able to shoot turns me off. It just makes it like your at an air show. Not a dogight. Maybe to simulate dogfighting you should say a kill is when you chop off the other guys tail with your prop.

Bomber
Airman

Post by Bomber »

Tim
Senior Airman

Post by Tim »

Beautiful!

Shooting? To make it more complicated you would have to allow [i]deflection[/i]??

We used to save ammunition with V1s by flipping their wing up to send them back to France!!

Bomber
Airman

Post by Bomber »

Well fighters aren't my thing... but I need planes like the 109 to go up against my bombers...

Tim
Senior Airman

Post by Tim »

Well I'll come & flip your wing any day!

Sorry to dilute a great thread, but I love to interfere.

1. 700 hours between 4 Griffons is why I now wear a hearing aid.
2. Snuffy - yes, very clever. Last time I did a display flypast with Nos1&2 feathered, No3 cut over the field. You've never seen so many fingers go for the switches.
3. Nearest I got to a B17 was co-ing a B29.

Apologies for all that!!
Last edited by Tim on 02 Dec 2006, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Airman

Post by Bomber »

So we're talking Avro Shackleton... yes ?

Did you ever fly Lancs ?

Simon

Tim
Senior Airman

Post by Tim »

Psychic!!

No - only IN one, doing navigational training before joining the Shack squadron.

(Note my edit to engines above!)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”