Thrustmaster rudder pedals

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jclay13
Senior Airman

Thrustmaster rudder pedals

Post by jclay13 »

These must be new rudder pedals from Thrustmaster? They look cool. http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/produ ... der-pedals

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Thrustmaster rudder pedals

Post by dvm »

Interesting glad to see someone marketing a new product. My only comment is the pedals appear to be too close together for my taste as are most of the pedals available.

Krycekuk
Staff Sergeant

Post by Krycekuk »

The pedals look way too close together for my liking. I own an aging set of CH pedals and they are a bit too close together. Would prefer a set with better spacing for finer control.
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mb
Intel i7 6700K 4 Core @4.5GHz
850 Pro 512Gb SSD for Win 10 64 bit, 1Tb M2 for MSFS
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR4 3000
nVidia 2070 Super
TrackIR 5, Honeycomb controls, Saitek panels
Every A2A Accu-sim aircraft

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Krycekuk wrote:The pedals look way too close together for my liking. I own an aging set of CH pedals and they are a bit too close together. Would prefer a set with better spacing for finer control.
I agree the CH pedals are too close together. I used CH for many years kinda clunky to boot. The crosswind pedals I now own were too far a part until I made my custom pedal replacement. Never satisfied and I'm not a woman but I have lived with one for 48 years could be the problem. :D

I took another look at the Thrustmaster pedals and on the upside the heal rests are removable so you can use the balls of your feet. You think they would realize that they are too close together,ergonomic my A** ! :D

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

new flight sim hardware is always welcome but ... i think the manufacturers should take a peek how real plane rudder pedals actually looks like... ;\

Saitek Cessna/Combat pedals ftw. (in terms of layout)

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

That's disappointing. They look really nice and the price point is good. I just can't get over how close they are.
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Bosko wrote:That's disappointing. They look really nice and the price point is good. I just can't get over how close they are.
Well, in many planes the pedals are really close together.... C172 for example: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tanXy8rnuy0/maxresdefault.jpg

.. it's the layout though that bugs me...

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Alfredson007 wrote:
Bosko wrote:That's disappointing. They look really nice and the price point is good. I just can't get over how close they are.
Well, in many planes the pedals are really close together.... C172 for example: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tanXy8rnuy0/maxresdefault.jpg

The fact that the real 172 pedals are close together doesn't excuse Thrustmaster for putting them too close together. The real 172 has limited space as many basic GA airplanes. A flight sim setup doesn't normally have the same limitations. I have a joystick mounted between my legs where it belongs and a too close together rudder pedal causes interference and comfort issues. The fact that this thread has had more than one person comment that they are too close together tells you that they may be out of touch with their customers.

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

dvm wrote:
Alfredson007 wrote:

The fact that the real 172 pedals are close together doesn't excuse Thrustmaster for putting them too close together. The real 172 has limited space as many basic GA airplanes. A flight sim setup doesn't normally have the same limitations. I have a joystick mounted between my legs where it belongs and a too close together rudder pedal causes interference and comfort issues. The fact that this thread has had more than one person comment that they are too close together tells you that they may be out of touch with their customers.
The foot plates themselves look quite broad, perhaps it's optical ? Has anybody compared the spec sheet to the other product specs ?

Bosko
Airman First Class

Post by Bosko »

I haven't been able to find a spec sheet. I saw one short review that didn't say anything about the width. All I can find is that the pedals are 10 inches in length each.

-Brendan
A2A T-6, Comanche, C182, C172, P51 Civilian, B377, Cub.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

I find it quite appalling that a company like Thrustmaster can be so out of touch. THE most important items in the specs aren't mentioned - the potentiometers!!

My Saitek pedals (though wonderfully far apart) started spiking within 3 weeks of use from new. All the rudders I've ever owned have suffered in this respect.

If I ever get to replacing my rudders, they're going to have to:

1) Be contactless (optical or whatever).
2) Have drivers that actually work in Win10.
Last edited by Adam_NZ on 12 May 2016, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
--
Image--Image

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Bosko wrote:I haven't been able to find a spec sheet. I saw one short review that didn't say anything about the width. All I can find is that the pedals are 10 inches in length each.

-Brendan
Trust me you don't need a spec sheet to see that they a very close together just compare the length of the pedals with the width in the photo. Take a look at the photo and you can see the diff. The most viable pedals for quality and performance are the Crosswind pedals. Worth the money and the wait.

Adam,
Most of Saitek stuff uses cheap pots and are built to a price and lots of profit. Ch uses good pots and the crosswind pedals don't use pots at all.

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

dvm wrote:
Bosko wrote:I haven't been able to find a spec sheet. I saw one short review that didn't say anything about the width. All I can find is that the pedals are 10 inches in length each.

-Brendan
Trust me you don't need a spec sheet to see that they a very close together just compare the length of the pedals with the width in the photo. Take a look at the photo and you can see the diff. The most viable pedals for quality and performance are the Crosswind pedals. Worth the money and the wait.

Adam,
Most of Saitek stuff uses cheap pots and are built to a price and lots of profit. Ch uses good pots and the crosswind pedals don't use pots at all.

Not really in the same league for comparison ? Your legs would be so far apart with the crosswind pedals, you could see what you had for breakfast :shock:. I guess they would be ideal if you had done a lot of horse riding in the past :lol:

jclay13
Senior Airman

Post by jclay13 »

Check this out from the specs..."Rudder with RJ12 cable, universal RJ12/USB adapter unit. On PC and on PS4, works with and connects directly to the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas 4 joystick."

I wonder if the RJ12 is what they use to connect it to their joystick.

I agree, the pedals look close together.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

RotorWash wrote:
dvm wrote:

-Brendan

Adam,

Not really in the same league for comparison ? Your legs would be so far apart with the crosswind pedals, you could see what you had for breakfast :shock:. I guess they would be ideal if you had done a lot of horse riding in the past :lol:
You are right the crosswind pedals are too far apart but I made new pedals and mounted them more inboard. They are now 15 inches center to center and perfect for my setup.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”