New Kermie Cam (TP-40N part 3)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
maxonly
Airman First Class

New Kermie Cam (TP-40N part 3)

Post by maxonly »

Hey guys,

I will post the Kermie cams as they come out. The latest one being his P-51D!. Kermit said that he already recorded a P-40 kermie can too. Will add it as soon as it comes out.

Storch

Part 1:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8rwgm5sFs[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o43AS_s_zYg[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVaUDy-Omn8[/youtube]

P-51D

Part 1:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzKFkYLHq3Q[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iompxanAQgQ[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQyDaMtjhfc[/youtube]

TP-40N

Part 1:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8emUYDyoO8[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPxPcbetZhk[/youtube]

Part 3:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpMIAPDSaZs[/youtube]
Last edited by maxonly on 23 Aug 2017, 13:24, edited 14 times in total.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: New Kermie Cam

Post by LZ-WIL »

"Hi everyone Kermit here, today I'm gonna fly my..." and he grins :mrgreen:

I like his cam videos. Part two of Fieseler Storch is out - cool! :D

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

I really do like the Kemie Cam Video , not only are they entertaining but also educational 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Awesome! I like the Kermie cam videos a lot. I sometimes wonder how he stays current in all his planes!? That's a real first world problem :wink: :lol:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

maxonly
Airman First Class

Post by maxonly »

Part 3 added

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nice. Thanks for the heads up.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

Excellent as usual. I really love his videos.

maxonly
Airman First Class

Post by maxonly »

maxonly
Airman First Class

Post by maxonly »

This was extremely informative to watch. Wow! This made it clear to me that a2a's p-51d needs a walk around badly! But I think Lewis or Scott said that it's pretty much impossible. Maybe the p3d v4 version?

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Very cool videos of the Fieseler Storch. Kermie is always entertaining to listen to. Thanks for posting.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Thanks for the heads up on this latest video. I truly enjoyed his P-51C videos and I'm sure this one will be up to the standards that we expect.
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Very nice video from Kermie Cam, thanks for sharing!
Mr. Weeks as usual provides detailed explanation for the aircraft he is about to fly and demonstrate. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I'm looking forward to seeing the full series on the P-51D. As I recall, he skipped over some of these pre-flight checks on the P-51C videos, so got them in this time around.

A few items possibly worth noting...

Kermit Weeks comments that you can't put a jump seat in the back of a P-51B/C like you can on a D (by removing the fuselage fuel tank and radios), due to the A-frame structure/roll-bar in the B/C. The truth is that there have been two different C-models that have had jump seats installed, those being the CAF "Redtail" and "Shangri-La/Princess Elizabeth" (years ago), by simply not having that A-frame structure installed. The CAF "Redtail" P-51C continues to fly without the A-frame and with a jump seat installed, but since the restoration of "Princess Elizabeth" in the late 90's and early 2000's, to return the aircraft to stock configuration, the jump seat was removed and an A-frame was put back in.

He mentions that on the B/C's the elevators are fabric and on the D's they are metal, but originally it wasn't that clear-cut. Actually a lot of P-51D's, up until mid-late production, had fabric-covered elevators too, but you don't find D's flying today with the early elevators.

The auxiliary/external power plug-in location on Kermit Weeks' P-51D is different to most P-51D's. The reason is because on the very last examples, the P-51D-25-NT and P-51D-30-NT, as Kermit Weeks' Mustang is, NAA moved the plug-in socket from the rear right-wing fairing to the location above the doghouse/farther back on the fuselage.

The "venturi" that he points out but can't recall what it is for, that particular one is a fuel pressure vent for the fuselage fuel tank (obviously serves no purpose on this one or the vast majority of the Mustangs flying today - only a select few have a working fuselage tank). As authentic as this restoration was considered in the late 90's, and it is a gorgeous machine, the level of accuracy/authenticity in restorations since then has really grown considerably, if you look at Mustangs like "Sierra Sue II", "Upupa Epops", "Berlin Express", "Lope's Hope 3rd", "Baby Carmen", "Happy Jack's Go Buggy", "Cripes A' Mighty (IV)", "Little Rebel" and "Frenesi". Also, I tend to think of the F-6D "Lil' Margaret" as having set the benchmark for authentic restorations in 1993 in which Kermit Weeks' "Cripes A' Mighty" only matched in 1999. This level of authentic restorations jumped to a whole new level when Midwest Aero Restorations completed "Cripes A' Mighty (IV)" in 2002 and Westpac Restorations completed "Upupa Epops" in 2003. The benchmark was raised again with "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" in 2008 and then was raised even higher (and impossible to better) with "Sierra Sue II" from AirCorps Aviation in 2014. Kermit Weeks' aircraft also has an interesting combination of details - for instance, it is fitted with the cuff-less Hamilton Standard "paddle blades", and that is actually correct to the aircraft - those are the blades that were installed on this and other late model D's (P-51D-30-NA, P-51D-25-NT, and P-51D-30-NT) when they rolled out of the factory in 1945 (this was because the late variants had beefed-up wings that could carry larger payloads, and the paddle blades provide greater pull/lift on takeoff than the cuffed-blades to get the heavier bomb/rocket-laden aircraft into the air). The gun sight that would have been fitted to the aircraft would of course been a K-14 with the bicycle-grip throttle, but Kermit has the earlier N-9 reflector gun sight installed with the early standard/ball-tip throttle, as that is what was installed on the original wartime P-51D-5-NA "Cripes A' Mighty 3rd".
John Terrell

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Saw their Storch flying at FoF when I was there in 2012. It was so amazing to see this plane go from stop to airborne in 4 seconds. :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

That Fieseler Storch would make an excellent accusim candidate for Scott and crew from the video.
However it depends on what he thinks would be its sales potential or popularity from customers here.
I enjoyed that video very much.Thanks a lot. :o
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”