To Scott/Shockwave: Abbreviations & Confusion.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

To Scott/Shockwave: Abbreviations & Confusion.

Post by Joachim »

Being new to Shockwave and its goldmine of info some help is needed.
Lots of abbreviations are used, CTD (Crash to desktop), DEP, WOP, FS9 (Which one is 9 as I know and have CFS 1 Europe and CFS3, FS2002, BoB,IL-2 Ultimate Edition)
Some are identified by searching through the info but a list of abbreviatons would be of graet help to newcomers.
Also a list of which of the added programs, all seem very good, to see which one work with what flight sim.

Joachim, Obergefreiter und Flugzeugfuehrer (1944)

alias_unknown_2004
Senior Airman

Post by alias_unknown_2004 »

i concur. i've had these problems too, and my solution is to use the newswriting style: explain on first reference, then abbreviate later references.

my personal cyber crusade...that is, naturally, doomed to failure...

but when you read something like: "he was playing COD but had too many ctd's so he switched to MOH...but it doesn't have as good LOD..." you reach immediately for your cap'n crunch decoder ring....

AU

WarHorse47
Senior Airman

Post by WarHorse47 »

Lots of abbreviations are used, CTD (Crash to desktop), DEP, WOP, FS9 (Which one is 9 as I know and have CFS 1 Europe and CFS3, FS2002, BoB,IL-2 Ultimate Edition)

Good point. I can help with some of these, and maybe others can add to the list.

Lets start with the Microsoft flight sims. The general flight sims started with FS98 and evaolved to FS9. The earlier versions were by year such as 98, 2000 and 2002 where the current version is numeric as with FS9 and FS10 (also known as FSX).

The MS Combat Flight Series (CFS) started with 1 and ended at 3, so you have CFS1, CFS2 and CFS3.

Bob is for Battle of Brittan and WoP is for Wings of Power, both Shockwave products. IL-2 is the name of the aircraft and the flight sim series by UbiSoft.

I'm not sure what DEP means, but you are right with CTD.

Here's a few more I can think of. 2D refers to the two dimension cockpit, and VC refers to the virtual cockpit. ATC is a flight sim term for Air Traffic Controller.

Well, that's a start.

--WH (stands for WarHorse)

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Hi Joachim,

good idea I suggest everyone can write abbreviations into here, either with description, or without as question.

Also, there are standard internet abbreviations like OTOH for On The Other Hand. Maybe someon can find a link to a list of those.

---oooOOOooo---

I will make a list of mine here and edit when I get new ideas:

BoB - Battle of Britain. Can mean both the RL (Real Life ;)) battle and the simulation of it.

CTD - Crash To Desktop means the program closes (with or without error message) and dissappears, so that you see the desktop

LoD - Level of Detail. Current airplane models have tens of thousands of polygons, in other words (IOW) are very detailled. To draw hundreds of them on screen in that detail level would bring even the best current computer to it's knees. So something called Level of Detail is used which means if the airplane is so far away that for example the pitot tube is no longer visible, leave it away to speed rendering up. The lowest LoD can be just a dot.

MSVC - Microsoft Visual C++, the program used to create the BoB exe
MSVC6, MSVC8 - the 6th and 8th (and current) version of MSVC

TIR - TrackIR a hardware that allows you to move your virtual head by moving your real head ;). For more see http://www.naturalpoint.com/

Re the MSFS numbers - I think they officially changed to using the year at some stage (and now changed back?) but the running number has always been there. Does someone have a translation table? Also, what was the first one? I had sublogic flightsim 2 about 15 years ago. This was then bought by MS. Did they resell that or did MS sims start with "3" or what happend? Ok, I am too lazy to look it up myself :P.

---oooOOOooo---

BTW, since you spoke of your upbringing gliding / soaring, I wanted to ask you about it, but like it sometimes is, each day in the morning I think "This day I will ask Joachim" and in the evening "Oh well, "Erst die Arbeit, dann den Schnapps"" (first the work then the fun) :-/

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Is Schnaps your goodtime, Wolf? :wink:

regards
ROB

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

No, I normally manage to have a good time without alcohol ;). But it is a German saying. Not sure how that reflects on Germans :/.

BTW, I forgot one abbreviation:

ROB = Robert

:P :lol:

6 DoF. DoF = Degrees of Freedom means in how many directions you can move and/or rotate something. The newest TrackjIR allows you to move the virtual head left/right, up/down, forward/back and rotate in heading pitch and roll, so there are 6 DoF. The first TrackIRs only had 2 (heading and pitch rotations).

MS = MicroSoft or MultiSkin. Isn't choice something good ;)

DEP = Data Execution Prevention. New technology by MS and other to make life harder for virus writers. Unfrotunately incompatible and therefore breaks some programs. Including some MS ones and (from what users say) BoB in versions < 2.04.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Osram Here is a very good website on the history of Flight Simulator or later Microsoft Flight Simulator.The website even has downloads of the early versions of it.

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/index.htm

I have the first version and still have a couple of Apple II's
I also have the original version 1.02 for the Macintosh.

Here is another site.
http://www.simflight.com/~fshistory/fsh/versions.htm
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

Thanks friends we are off to a good start and I am taking notes.
DEP does prevent Print Screen in BoB 2.03 on my XP SP2, checked it by using DEP for BoB and then removing it.
Tracker IR 4 is coming.
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942
Obergefreiter und Flugzeugfuehrer 1944[img]

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Thanks JJB, interesting.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”