AC - Where you stationed at Tinian ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
jordi
Senior Airman

AC - Where you stationed at Tinian ?

Post by jordi »

Here are some pictures someone found from his fathers collection.

Anything looik familiar ?

Jordi

-------

http://www.guanoloco.com/memday/Site/memday.html

All these photos were developed by my grandfather in his clandestine photo lab he ran while stationed on the island of Tinian. I would like to thank him, and all those who served before me, for their sacrifice so that others may be free. All photos are (c) 2006 Please do not link or copy them.
Intel(R) CPU 2.60GHz
Motherboard model - ECS - M925, 1.0
AGP 4x
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Alantis
640 MB RAM
Win XP XP2

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Re: AC - Where you stationed at Tinian ?

Post by AC »

jordi wrote:Here are some pictures someone found from his fathers collection.

Anything looik familiar ?

Jordi

-------

http://www.guanoloco.com/memday/Site/memday.html

All these photos were developed by my grandfather in his clandestine photo lab he ran while stationed on the island of Tinian. I would like to thank him, and all those who served before me, for their sacrifice so that others may be free. All photos are (c) 2006 Please do not link or copy them.

Yes,Jordi, I was there but about the only picture I found familiar was the airfield on Tinian. I never left the Group living area except to fly, all the time I was on the Island.

I did , of course recognise Mount Fuji, and the mushroom cloud.

I didn't check all the pix.

jordi
Senior Airman

Post by jordi »

The one that jumped out at me was the one labeld B291

It was the one with the B29 tipped over at the end of the runway. I Can not tell what may have caused it to over run the end.

You ever have any rough landings ?

Thanks and take care.

Jordi
Intel(R) CPU 2.60GHz
Motherboard model - ECS - M925, 1.0
AGP 4x
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Alantis
640 MB RAM
Win XP XP2

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Jordi

From what I can tell the B-29 in the ditch is "Hades Ex Alto" #41 of the 505th BG. This shot is taken from a slightly different angle than a different shot that shows up in various places. The one source I use lists the cause of the wreck as a "slight mis-calculation" at the end of the runway.

AC

One of my favorite pieces of B-29 and Tinian history that I've heard first hand is your account of "Tinian Roulette". I don't think that's a part of the history of these crews and their missions that most will ever run across anywhere. Hint, Hint :)

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Jordi those are great pictures.I saw that it says Made on a Mac.
Already there is a Bootcamp Beta where you can install Microsoft Windows on the new Intel Macs with dual boot options.From what I've heard it works pretty well at running Windows and PC Games.
And the new Intel iMacs are kickass.
I'm considering getting one maybe next year.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

jaffa
Airman

Post by jaffa »

JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote:Jordi those are great pictures.I saw that it says Made on a Mac.
Already there is a Bootcamp Beta where you can install Microsoft Windows on the new Intel Macs with dual boot options.From what I've heard it works pretty well at running Windows and PC Games.
And the new Intel iMacs are kickass.
I'm considering getting one maybe next year.
If you think "intel macs"are kickass than you probably havent heard of Athlon FX processors. Buy a Mac if you dont want to play games buy /build an AMD system if your serious about maximum gaming performance.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I have heard of Athlon FX microprocessors.In fact I've used both AMD and Intel Microprocessors.I have over 60 microcomputers and I've owned a microcomputer ever since 1975.I've even used punchcards on Mainframes before that with Fortran 4.However Intel has something extraordinary coming in the works.Build a system I build them all the time.I even build 3.6 megawatt class 4 laser systems.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Post by AC »

FAC257 wrote:Jordi

From what I can tell the B-29 in the ditch is "Hades Ex Alto" #41 of the 505th BG. This shot is taken from a slightly different angle than a different shot that shows up in various places. The one source I use lists the cause of the wreck as a "slight mis-calculation" at the end of the runway.

AC

One of my favorite pieces of B-29 and Tinian history that I've heard first hand is your account of "Tinian Roulette". I don't think that's a part of the history of these crews and their missions that most will ever run across anywhere. Hint, Hint :)
Are you referring to the Tinian Sweepstakes, wherein everyone arrived over the field at the same time... All low fuel and forced to cut each other out of the pattern in order to get on the ground before the engines quit?

With the engineers keeping the engines from quitting on final by transferring fuel to the lowest tanks when they started to sputter due to trapped fuel?... and the engines quittong cold during landing roll with tugs chasing them to pull them out of the way for the planes still on final, with no fuel to go around?

All because whenever we came back with 500 pounds of gas still in our tanks ,"Ironass"LeMay shorted us that fuel when planning the next mission ... and put another bomb aboard?

(Our low fuel decision point was Iwo but it was a matter of professional pride not to land there ... . So every mission was a sweat job until we got back on the ground at West Field, Tinian.)
Last edited by AC on 30 May 2006, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

That's the story I was meaning.

Thanks AC! :)

MIKE TULL
Airman

Tinian #20

Post by MIKE TULL »

In tinian #20 the man standing at the right bears a striking resemblance to man named Raymond Loetcher (probably now deceased) who was in the CB's (Sea Bees) in WWII and stationed on Tinian. The Amphibious Assault ship APA-223 can be identified by going to the "U.S. Naval Vessel Registry" and referencing the ship by type "APA" and hull number "223". I wonder where you grandfather acquired the photos of the Japanese pilots.?

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Tinian

Post by cflord »

jordie

Great pics of Tinian, thanks for sharing. My dad was on B-29s in the Pacific, I know my dad spent some time at Layte, I'll ask him if he ever spent any time at Tinian.

Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :wink:

MIKE TULL
Airman

Tinian #20

Post by MIKE TULL »

I was not on Tinian. I was born after WWII. My father was on the USS Mount Mckinley (AGC-7). I knew Raymond Loetcher when I was a kid growing up. When I was in the Navy I pulled liberty once on Guam. At another at another time I saw what was supposed to be part of Saipan and Tinian in the dastance, but I was never on Saipan or Tinian.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”