Employee Drives Onto Runway

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Employee Drives Onto Runway

Post by cflord »

Plane aborts takeoff after airport employee drives onto runway in Los Angeles LAX:

This kind of stuff happens to me in FSX all the time, especially on the parking ramp and taxiways!

https://gma.yahoo.com/plane-aborts-take ... ories.html

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :roll:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Employee Drives Onto Runway

Post by Piper_EEWL »

:shock: Glad the outcome was not more severe.

That's exactly the reason why I disabled crash detection in FSX because I had my precious Accusim planes wrecked by reckless FSX groundcrew :x :D
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Hmmmmmm...... I wonder if this should have read....."former employee drives on runway."

Makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking!!

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Runway Safety was on the NTSBs' "Most Wanted List" within the past few years. Incursions have been decreasing over recent years - except for this past year. :?

LAX is one airport that should have operating Runway Status Lights (FAA link). There's a couple vids on that page that show how they are being implemented to reduce runway incursions just like the above.

And it's not just aircraft that are involved in runway incursions...
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Aren't vehicles that operate within the airport perimeter required to have the same com1 and com2 radios as aircraft?

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Depends, but typically if they operate on the controlled areas (taxiways and runways), then yes, they do have a set of radios and communicate on ground/tower frequency. Vehicles that are to be operated on the ramp/apron only don't typically have any means of communication outside what the ramp guy happens to have with him. This excludes pushbacks and tow tractors - these are used for aircraft movements and typically have a full set of comms even if (mainly) used only on apron area.

-Esa

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

I'm with SgtMaj DevilDog. Definitely FORMER. I mean, hey, we DO got RTO and autobrake systems but I don't think you can use them above a certain speed...
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

These happen every now and then, though not on the runways that often...not knowing the LAX layout nor where the guy was supposed to be going, it is hard to say how big the screw-up was.

-Esa

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

Have no idea about civilian airports..........however, many years ago when I was still working on aircraft....if the ground vehicle did not have a radio's installed.......you could not proceed on or across any runway without at least a "go ahead" light from the tower. Can't remember the codes now......3 green perhaps?? But you had to hold tight until the signal was received. I would think something as simple as that would still apply.......especially in this day and age with former accidents and all.

Either way.......whoever was driving the vehicle made a major blunder that could have cost a bunch of lives and has no business in that line of work. To me.....it's one of those maybe just an accident.....but it will cost ya!

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I just found this FAA Guide to Ground Vehicle Operations; A comprehensive guide to safe driving on the airport surface. Check out pg. 18 (pdf pg. 10); Light Gun Signals! Many years ago, when I was an aircraft mechanic working on the flightline/ramp, we had to have all ground movement signals from the tower memorized when operating a vehicle without a radio.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_saf ... _Final.pdf

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”