What's Next From Shockwave?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

I see that Snuffy mentioned an all inclusive WWII Bomber sim. Don't get me wrong but I'd rather see Shockwave do an ETO Bomber sim and a separate PTO sim. These 2 theaters of war were totally different in the way they were fought, IMO. The ETO was based on bombers/fighters while the PTO was based on ships with carriers/fighters the main feature, and bombers to a lesser degree.

To do one sim for both would be a big injustice to each theater of war. And it would also leave out a lot of very important things in each. You couldn't get everything all in one package that would fit on your computer. :wink: And I'd rather not see a halfdone arcade game. There's too many out there already.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

Slamelov
Airman Basic

Post by Slamelov »

What Happened to the B17II project?.

CWOJackson
Senior Airman

Post by CWOJackson »

GT182 wrote:I see that Snuffy mentioned an all inclusive WWII Bomber sim. Don't get me wrong but I'd rather see Shockwave do an ETO Bomber sim and a separate PTO sim. These 2 theaters of war were totally different in the way they were fought, IMO. The ETO was based on bombers/fighters while the PTO was based on ships with carriers/fighters the main feature, and bombers to a lesser degree.
Actually Gen. LeMay's heavy bomber campaign against Japan had much in common with the European campaign...only it was LONG distance. Unfortunately it was little reported because of the assinine way press coverage/emphasis was divided up (Army/Air Corps get the European/Africa coverage, the Navy and Marines get the Pacific coverage).

Sadly enough, few people realize that a great deal more Army soldiers hit the beaches in the Pacific then Marines, or that there were more Air Corp aircraft in the Pacific then Navy/Marine.

I'd love to see the B-29 bomber offensive modeled (perhaps even the Air Corps mediums as well), but if it didn't have a good skip-ahead function I doubt many people would complete their first mission.

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Post by AC »

CWOJackson wrote:
GT182 wrote:I see that Snuffy mentioned an all inclusive WWII Bomber sim. Don't get me wrong but I'd rather see Shockwave do an ETO Bomber sim and a separate PTO sim. These 2 theaters of war were totally different in the way they were fought, IMO. The ETO was based on bombers/fighters while the PTO was based on ships with carriers/fighters the main feature, and bombers to a lesser degree.
Actually Gen. LeMay's heavy bomber campaign against Japan had much in common with the European campaign...only it was LONG distance. Unfortunately it was little reported because of the assinine way press coverage/emphasis was divided up (Army/Air Corps get the European/Africa coverage, the Navy and Marines get the Pacific coverage).

Sadly enough, few people realize that a great deal more Army soldiers hit the beaches in the Pacific then Marines, or that there were more Air Corp aircraft in the Pacific then Navy/Marine.

I'd love to see the B-29 bomber offensive modeled (perhaps even the Air Corps mediums as well), but if it didn't have a good skip-ahead function I doubt many people would complete their first mission.
No need to skip ahead if the mission includes flying through a typhoon (hurricane ) outbound with a full bomb load and then back through it again inbound with battle damage,...sweating fuel all the way home!

Time doesn't hang heavy on your hands! :roll:

Bomber
Airman

Post by Bomber »

ricnunes wrote:
Can I give a suggestion?
One of my favorite sims of very old times (in the 80's) was the Dam Busters which was as you can imagine it was a Lancaster sim in where you flew during the first mission of the 617 squadron (the "Dam Busters") which was the famous bombing of three of the main dams in Ruhr valley. As you can imagine it was very limited (it was a Spectrum simulation) but even so it was very advanced for it's time since it supported multiple stations (Pilot, fight engineer, front gunner, rear gunner, "spotlight" position and navigation or Map) and you had to navigate (it was simple, you just have to look into the map) and you could/should avoid known enemy AAA and airfield positions and you could even hit searchlights and "blind" them with you machine guns.
My idea/suggestion was to make something like a Dam BustersII (it would be great with today's technology) or better yet a Bomber command sim and at the same time using some ideas from B-17II such and mainly as the crew management.
Well dreaming can't do any hard, can it? :wink:
Ohh I like the sound of that too....

Me practicing low level runs on the Derwent Res

Sorry if it's a bit dark, but it is early morning and I've noticed that images taken on my flatscreen imac come out darker on cathode ray screens

Regards

Simon

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”