Active Sky for MSFS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
davidtsw1906
Airman First Class

Active Sky for MSFS

Post by davidtsw1906 »

Unexpectedly, HiFi released their legendary Active Sky weather engine for MSFS. I was holding off initially but what I saw in a few live streams looked good enough to me and I pulled the trigger on AS today. Just completed my first flight across the Channel and it's light years ahead of the default weather engine. Much closer to METAR too. And it makes the whole sim look better. Take a look at a few screenshots, I'll let you guess which one is the shot without AS on :) METAR was showing few + scattered at 3600 and 4400 feet. I mean it's not even close and puts the default weather engine to shame.

P.S. I heard the price of AS was going to go up after a few days. Not sure if this is true but you might be able to save a bit by getting it sooner rather than later.
Attachments
MSFS default weather-min.png
MSFS default weather-min.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 209 times
AS6-min.png
AS6-min.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 209 times
AS5-min.png
AS5-min.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 209 times
AS3-min.png
AS3-min.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 209 times

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Active Sky for MSFS

Post by AKar »

I've never been too a big fan of ASN, which would be the previous implementation, even if it is, and with a margin, the best weather engine for P3D. And, interestingly, that is, for a big part, precisely because of it religiously matching the METARs instead of having any sort of apparent understanding of the weather as a system.

And METARs are among the worst possible sole sources for creating a dynamic weather picture from.

Anyways, I'll surely try the new one out at some point and see what I think of it myself.

-Esa

davidtsw1906
Airman First Class

Post by davidtsw1906 »

Are you sure AS relies solely on METAR? Where is this information from? I don't know how it works exactly but what I'm seeing in the sim is light years ahead of MSFS weather.

I took the Twin Star back across the Channel to Shoreham. Same story. AS weather was exactly like in the METAR in Calais and then in Shoreham. Went from 2 layers of scattered / overcast to few clouds to cavok at destinations. Again, just like in the METAR and in accordance to what the AS app weather map was showing. Check the screenshots for reference.

There are settings for weather update intervals and transition smoothing that I'm playing with. It's looking very promising.
Attachments
metar sc 3700 ovc 5600 calais AS-min.png
metar sc 3700 ovc 5600 calais AS-min.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 142 times
metar sc 3700 ovc 5600 calais AS2-min.png
metar sc 3700 ovc 5600 calais AS2-min.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 142 times
da42 southern england along the coast as-min.png
da42 southern england along the coast as-min.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 142 times
da42 now in few clouds s england as-min.png
da42 now in few clouds s england as-min.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 142 times
as radar across the channel-min.png
as radar across the channel-min.png (630.42 KiB) Viewed 142 times

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I bought it on release day and there has already been an update. My experience with it has been mixed. Sometimes ASFS in active live weather mode seems more accurate for my local conditions, but usually the default MSFS weather seems more accurate. I've settled on the passive ASFS mode for now, which is essentially an enhanced version of the MSFS live weather.

I've yet to try the Historic Weather feature, which honestly may be the best reason to buy ASFS. In the winter it gets dark here before I get home from work, and I have to set my sim to daylight hours for enjoyable VFR.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bones »

I used ActiveSky in FSX and P3D, and always loved it, great product and support. Question: is Milford Sound with AS covered in snow year-round like it is with the default weather?

davidtsw1906
Airman First Class

Post by davidtsw1906 »

Let the images speak for themselves.

There are issues though. I've seen people report abrupt weather changes, delayed/no weather updates and not the latest METARs in use. I've experiences all of it in the last couple of days too. They're investigating, pretty sure this will be fixed soon.
Attachments
comparison default-min.png
comparison default-min.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 32 times
comparison AS-min.png
comparison AS-min.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 32 times

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bones »

davidtsw1906 wrote: Yesterday, 15:24 Let the images speak for themselves.

There are issues though. I've seen people report abrupt weather changes, delayed/no weather updates and not the latest METARs in use. I've experiences all of it in the last couple of days too. They're investigating, pretty sure this will be fixed soon.
Thank you so much for that! I bet the folks in Milford are thrilled to be out of their four-year freeze.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”