IMPORTANT: Check your controller sensitivities

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: IMPORTANT: FSX Users - Check your controller sensitiviti

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I'm with Scott on this, even though I use it. Primarily, I use it because I had to for my work, but later I was given some GoFlight controllers and found I needed FSUIPC to sync them. So, unless you need to make up for a deficiency in the controller, I'd keep your setup as simple as possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Kermit70
Airman

Post by Kermit70 »

Scott - A2A wrote:Kermit,

I only install software on my computer or flight simulator I absolutely need. So far, I've had no reason or need to use FSUIPC, so I can't really offer much advice on using it. All I can say is, you shouldn't need it for A2A aircraft.

Scott.
Many thanks for the quick reply. I will make sure I will keep sensitivity at max and reduce as much as possible dead-zones.
I guess the bottom line is to do a visual inspection like the video you posted: when yoke is moved, controllers should move quickly and without any delay. It's a bit like doing a pre-flight check on the controllers!

Thank you for making me thinking about this for a bit. Cheers!

ebo
Master Sergeant

Post by ebo »

Unfortunately I had to buy FSUIPC, as win 8.1 has the tenacity of disconnecting the stick in FSX, once FSX looses focus.

This way I use FSUIPC to map my stick.
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There is still some back in forth on Avsim that I am engaged in about trying to calibrate visual models to control inputs. I'm not sure why one would try to do this because the visual models have nothing to do with the flight simulation.

There are many examples where the control surface reaches its visual limit of travel even though the joystick still has travel left and is still affecting the flight path of the aircraft.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Is it possible to have every axis and button to be used via A2A input controller? Or is it too huge task? For example, if i'd like to use my throttle levers in a different order with the Comanche as they are in real life, compared to your standard order. Or, i might want to use joystick slider axis for mixture or prop rpm, so i could use longer more accurate lever for trim in my saitek. It's a bit too complicated now and I also do not wish to use any additional software like FSUIPC, like to keep it simple.

Also with buttons, for example to have both landing lights and taxi light binds (fsx doesn't support this) etc... would be nice.

I understand if it's too hard. Just wishing.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Alfredson007 wrote:Is it possible to have every axis and button to be used via A2A input controller? Or is it too huge task? For example, if i'd like to use my throttle levers in a different order with the Comanche as they are in real life, compared to your standard order. Or, i might want to use joystick slider axis for mixture or prop rpm, so i could use longer more accurate lever for trim in my saitek. It's a bit too complicated now and I also do not wish to use any additional software like FSUIPC, like to keep it simple.

Also with buttons, for example to have both landing lights and taxi light binds (fsx doesn't support this) etc... would be nice.

You will want to check and use the variable list for the extra bits.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Oracle427 wrote:There is still some back in forth on Avsim that I am engaged in about trying to calibrate visual models to control inputs. I'm not sure why one would try to do this because the visual models have nothing to do with the flight simulation.
There are many examples where the control surface reaches its visual limit of travel even though the joystick still has travel left and is still affecting the flight path of the aircraft.
Yes indeed, I will never understand those people. It's simply high-level nitpicking :D and of absolutely no importance :D :D
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

I only install software on my computer or flight simulator I absolutely need. So far, I've had no reason or need to use FSUIPC, so I can't really offer much advice on using it. All I can say is, you shouldn't need it for A2A aircraft.
OTOH it must also be said that FSUIPC is not only dealing with controller axes, but also with many other aspects. I for my part use FSUIPC for many, many years to control any kind of pusbuttons with the help of the ingenious LINDA module. That way I do not need any fancy software drivers as long as the controller is of a common HID type (which e.g. most of the SAITEK controllers are). So the combination of axes controlled by FSX/P3D and pushbuttons controlled by LINDA/FSUIPC is - at least for me for the last years - an unbeatable combo :D It's like in other aspects of life: Everyone has his preferences !
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:
Alfredson007 wrote:Is it possible to have every axis and button to be used via A2A input controller? Or is it too huge task? For example, if i'd like to use my throttle levers in a different order with the Comanche as they are in real life, compared to your standard order. Or, i might want to use joystick slider axis for mixture or prop rpm, so i could use longer more accurate lever for trim in my saitek. It's a bit too complicated now and I also do not wish to use any additional software like FSUIPC, like to keep it simple.

You will want to check and use the variable list for the extra bits.

thanks,
Lewis
I'm sorry i don't follow you now.. can you be a bit more specific? Hand editing a text file or something?

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

One thing i don't understand. Scott clearly shows how it is delay related. Okay. But when change the sensitivity on my throttle axis for example, it's easy to notice that i will not get full travel anymore. I want full travel in control axis, but doesn't this also mean there's more to it than just a delay? Or do these axis behave differently (engine management axis vs control surface axis)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Alfredson007 wrote: I'm sorry i don't follow you now.. can you be a bit more specific? Hand editing a text file or something?
For the C172, Cherokee, C182 and Comanche we have cockpit builders thread linked too from the troubleshooting FAQ's that have listings for advanced mapping allowing uses to map all the controls + gauges etc etc etc.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Kermit70
Airman

Post by Kermit70 »

Oracle427 wrote:There is still some back in forth on Avsim that I am engaged in about trying to calibrate visual models to control inputs. I'm not sure why one would try to do this because the visual models have nothing to do with the flight simulation.
Can you explain what this all mean, please?
"[...] calibrate visual models to control inputs." ??
Oracle427 wrote:There are many examples where the control surface reaches its visual limit of travel even though the joystick still has travel left and is still affecting the flight path of the aircraft.
And this is bad, isn't it?

Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks!

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Kermit70 wrote:
Oracle427 wrote:There are many examples where the control surface reaches its visual limit of travel even though the joystick still has travel left and is still affecting the flight path of the aircraft.
And this bad, isn't it?
Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks!
Depends on what you mean with that. In short: Any movement of the visual model HAS NOTHING TO DO with the flight model. You can even turn the visual model by 180° and fly backwards. You can make an elephant fly - whatever you like. It's just a 3D model with no relationship to aerodynamics :D Even if the Flight Control Surfaces do not visibly move, it's not of any importance to the flight model. that's in short the relationship between the 3D model and the flight model in FSX.
Oskar

Kermit70
Airman

Post by Kermit70 »

lonewulf47 wrote:[...]Any movement of the visual model HAS NOTHING TO DO with the flight model. [...] Even if the Flight Control Surfaces do not visibly move, it's not of any importance to the flight model. that's in short the relationship between the 3D model and the flight model in FSX.
Is it true for AccuSim aircraft as well? Don't the VISUAL extension of flaps or movement of aerilons correspond exactly to numbers used in the flight model to simulate the actual flight attitude?
I am having a panic attack: don't VISUAL and FLIGHT models match perfectly in AccuSim aircrafts??

Scott? Lewis?

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

Scott.
No You don´t need it for most aircraft - individually seen.

But...

1. FSX still uses a very old DOS based API for controllers (probably why nullzone and sensivity acts different), while FSUIPC uses direct input.
2. You can have aircraft specific setups ie. I have a CH-Product Throttle quadrant. With FSUIPC I have specific setups for 4 engiend aircraft, 3 engines, 2 engines and single engined.
This way I don´t need to rangle with axis assignements each time I use a different aircraft and for the A2A GA's I can assign f.ex the axis I normally use for mixture no.2 for Cowlflaps or carb. heat.
3. I can also use the same lever for Power and reverse (the Ch Thottle quadrant has a detent at 20% - below these 20% is reverse and forward of 20% is forward power.
4. I could not live without FSUIPC :)

Finn Jacobsen
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”