Cool tip for flying in the VC

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Cool tip for flying in the VC

Post by 46th_Terror »

I always fly in the Vc. Especially with Shockwaves aircraft. But not having track IR looking around has always been a pain. I just hate using the hat switch. After looking thru some MS designer blogs I came across a tip. What it said was to map the pan left/right axis to you z axis. Eg rudder. So what I did was mapped the pan right/left axis to the twist grip on my X52 joystick. As I use the ch rudder pedals I was not using the twist grip at all. this allows me to keep rudder control using my rudder pedals and be able to look left and right easelly using my twist grip. I am not sure which blog I found this on but I believe it was TDraggers. So thanks. This has turned out to be one of the best finds I ahve ever come acroos. It allows me to fly Shockwves aircraft in the Vc and still have great viewing abilities at the same time. I did a test flight in a P-47D22. I was able to fly the pattern and was able to glance over at the field to check my position and still fly normially. It has made flying patters and just flying a lot more enjoyable.

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

Hey 46th_Terror,

That's a great tip, but is it possible to still use the hat switch to pan up and down?

I use the Microsoft sidewinder precision, I dont have rudder pedals, but i can assign some keys for the rudder.

Regards,

Meso

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

It works great, but to counter the torque effect on take-off I checked the auto rudder option. That worked great but when I throw the ac in a spin i cant recover :? . I guess I wont spin the ac anymore. 8)

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

I have another question about panning around in the VC, is it possible to alter the speed of the hat-switch. For example when you want to look 8 o'clock from the vc it takes a lot of time when you are actualy seeing in that direction (even when the repeat slider in the assignments section is at the highest position).

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Regards,
Meso

tienmac
Airman

Post by tienmac »

Meso, Yes you can change the speed of the pan for your hat switch. I believe you have to open your FS9.CFG file and find the section on panning of the hat switch. If I remember, the default value is 400 and you increase the number to speed up the pan speed. There is a forum thread on this but I don't remember were I read it. Tienmac.

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

awsome idea :P thanks
Curt

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

Tienmac
Thanks for that it works GREAT I can tell. :D :D :D :D :D

For everyone who pans arround with the hatswitch on the joystick got to the next folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\René\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9

make a back up of the fs9.cfg file and press ctrl + f
this opens a screen where you can search for a specific word. Search for pan and it should find
pan_rate=400

I changed it to
pan_rate=800

this allows you to pan around much wuicker and makes circuit flights easier, it also is usfull when you need to report traffic in sight to a controller.

tienmac
Airman

Post by tienmac »

I am glad to hear that you were able to change the pan speed of your hat switch. I changed mine awhile back. I am currently using my work laptop, since my AMD 1.1 ghz desk top is going in for a major upgrade. I will be getting it back tomorrow with a new motherboard, AMD 64 3200+ CPU, 1GB of ram, and a Geforce 6600 video card. I look forward to flying online again soon. Tienmac.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”