bandwidth improvement needed for downloads

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Jib01
Senior Airman

bandwidth improvement needed for downloads

Post by Jib01 »

I do not know why your download speed is so slow. This is a retail operation and most others download at above 300mbs and yours goes down to 74mbs and that takes a long time to download some of your aircraft. You need to make sure you have enough bandwidth while you are working and for your customers. Multiple customers should be able to download at least at 300mbs.

Regards
Jib01/02
Now running the following...
Pentium 4 HT @ 3.06ghz
2Gig of OCZ 667mhz ram
GeForce 7950GT with 512mb DDR3
160Gig Sata drive

dj51d
Senior Airman

Post by dj51d »

I don't think 70kb/s is an unreasonable speed at all, that's enough to download the He 219 in about 20 minutes(about what it took me on the day it was released). Not all that long ago a download as large as the WOP planes would have been unthinkable, with most of us happy to get 4kb/s download speed. The problem is peak usage, I would guess that most of the time Shockwave has quite a bit of bandwidth sitting around idle, but when a new product is released that shoots up, probably to somewhere around max usage. Adding more bandwidth would help with congestion at peak times, but 99% of the time it will just sit there idle and costing money. I've never seen under 50kb/s when a new WOP plane is released so I just can't see how it would be cost effective to add more bandwidth to the download server.
Dan Johnson

alastairmonk
Airman First Class

Post by alastairmonk »

Currently downloading the He219 at about 98K/s - so only about 20 minutes.

Alastair

-E
Senior Airman

Re: bandwidth improvement needed for downloads

Post by -E »

Jib01 wrote:goes down to 74mbs and that takes a long time
Anybody here seen "The Life of Brian?" The scene in the jail where Brian's fellow inmate accuses him of being a "jailor's pet." To which Brian responds "Jailor's pet!? He spat in my face!" The above makes me want to repeat the next lines... "Oh, what wouldn't I give to be spat upon in the face!" Read: it must be nice to be live in a place that has internet access that can possibly get that fast. (try my setup that uses an old two-wire phone system with slow DSL!!!! ...but I normally don't complain too much, because I started at and remember 300bps) *grin*

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”