Finally Made It

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Finally Made It

Post by cflord »

(1501st Post) After 10 years and 3 months with the A2A Forums I finally equaled the rank I retired with from the United States Air Force (USAF) - "Senior Master Sergeant" (SMSgt). I retired from the USAF in 1990 at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona, USA after 22 years of service. Along the way I was an aircraft mechanic and flight engineer. I began my flight engineer career on C-130E models at Pope AFB, North Carolina, USA. I retired as a flight engineer on EC-130H (Compass Call - Electronic Warfare) birds at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona, USA.

C-130E / 317 Tactical Airlift Wing / 41st Tactical Airlift Squadron

EC-130H / 552 Electronic Warfare Wing / 41st Electronic Combat Squadron (I have logged flight time on this airplane)

Shadow Box of my military career

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D
Last edited by cflord on 14 Mar 2015, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Finally Made It

Post by DHenriques_ »

cflord wrote:After 10 years and 3 months with the A2A Forums I finally equaled the rank I retired with from the United States Air Force (USAF) - "Senior Master Sergeant" (SMSgt). I retired from the USAF in 1990 at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona, USA after 22 years of service. Along the way I was an aircraft mechanic and flight engineer. I began my flight engineer career on C-130E models at Pope AFB, North Carolina, USA. I retired as a flight engineer on EC-130H (Compass Call - Electronic Warfare) birds at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona, USA.

C-130E / 317 Tactical Airlift Wing / 41st Tactical Airlift Squadron

EC-130H / 552 Electronic Warfare Wing / 41st Electronic Combat Squadron (I have logged flight time on this airplane)

Shadow Box of my military career

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D
Lots of memories in there Cliff. That's a long ride in that case representing a lot of good work.
Glad to have you in our A2A family.
Dudley Henriques

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Congratulations Cliff! :)

I've got a little question too... What's the story with USAF MSgt (and SMSgt) stripes? I mean why are they different to the U.S. Army and Marine Corps stripes which have the '3 up, 3 down' thing going on? I gather USAF stripes were changed a bit in the early 1990s to make them a bit more like the stripes of the other branches with one chevron pointing up (for a MSgt). Was that to help avoid confusing Army types? :wink:

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

These are the way the stripes were as I wore them from 1968-1990. The "Top Three" stripes have changed recently to signify the Top Three ranks: CMSgt is now 3 top / 5 bottom (was 2 top / 6 bottom), SMSgt is now 2 top / 5 bottom (was 1 top / 6 bottom), MSgt is now 1 top / 5 bottom (was 6 bottom). Now all you have to do is see at least 1 or more on the top and you know he/she belongs in the "Top Three. When the USAF was formed in 1947 we wanted our own identity from all the other military branches of the service, so we came up with this rank system. The USAF stripes have had minor changes over the years; but has stayed pretty much the same since 1947. Now the Navy is the one branch of the service that confuses the heck out of me when it comes to rank. I think inter-service rivalry will never allow the branches of the service to have a similar rank structure.

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :roll:

spadjockey
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by spadjockey »

Congratulations Cliff and thank you for your many years of dedicated service.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

cflord wrote:These are the way the stripes were as I wore them from 1968-1990. The "Top Three" stripes have changed recently to signify the Top Three ranks: CMSgt is now 3 top / 5 bottom (was 2 top / 6 bottom), SMSgt is now 2 top / 5 bottom (was 1 top / 6 bottom), MSgt is now 1 top / 5 bottom (was 6 bottom). Now all you have to do is see at least 1 or more on the top and you know he/she belongs in the "Top Three. When the USAF was formed in 1947 we wanted our own identity from all the other military branches of the service, so we came up with this rank system. The USAF stripes have had minor changes over the years; but has stayed pretty much the same since 1947. Now the Navy is the one branch of the service that confuses the heck out of me when it comes to rank. I think inter-service rivalry will never allow the branches of the service to have a similar rank structure.
Thanks Cliff - I figured it might have something to do with the USAF forging its own identity after the USAAF days. The RAF had to do much the same thing in 1918 as described rather humorously in Volume 2 of the Bandy Papers by Donald Jack.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Congrats Cliff.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

You must have seen and done quite a lot in your 22 years. Do you have a favorite, most memorable story you'd care to share?

Congratulations and thank you for serving.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Congrats Cliff, one well worn wingnut with many spools of flight line :D

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Ty for your service
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Thank you sir, for your service.

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

Wow, I see two 'Nam campaign ribbons, small arms expert marksman, good conduct medals, an Air Force commendation medal and a meritorious service medal in there! You musta been a hard charger, Cliff. And welcome home.
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Congrats Cliff...And thanks for your service......

ebo
Master Sergeant

Post by ebo »

Congratulations from my side too.

Send with tapatalk from my GT-I9500 with Lollipop.
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Congratulations on your promotion (again) Cliff! 8)

Impressive career Sir.
when you retired in 1990 I guess you would have handed over the reins to the guys that flew me out to Bosnia in 1995 on my first tour!
I don't remeber exactly what aircraft type it was that flew us there, but I remember it was USAF aircraft and crew, and a very memorable experience it was!

Thankyou, John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”