Is there any possibility for a DC3 with accu-sim?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
kapjadi
Senior Airman

Is there any possibility for a DC3 with accu-sim?

Post by kapjadi »

I'm a DC3 fan ever since I was a kid, in FSX still hoping that maybe someday there's a developer who will make this magnificent aircraft as real as it gets. I got maam sim, and just flight 3's but it's lacking something.....oh maybe accu-sim! That's it! accu-sim! I'm addicted to accu-simmed aircraft, got a massive collection of FSX Aircraft pay-ware add-ons but nothing can compare to A2A's accu-simmed aircrafts. :D

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Is there any possibility for a DC3 with accu-sim?

Post by Nick - A2A »

I'm not usually a fan of all the topics trying to convince A2A to make such-and-such an aircraft....

...However - I think there's a case for badgering them incessantly and remorselessly to make us a DC-3! :mrgreen:

I know there's the excellent Uiver DC-2 and Manfred Jahn's great freeware DC-3 (albeit with a modern cockpit). However, an Accu-simmed, immersive DC-3 sim would be something to behold!

I just don't reckon they're up to the challenge!!! :wink:

100 reasons A2A should make a DC-3

Reason #1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUJIC6I7ic[/youtube]

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kapjadi
Senior Airman

Post by kapjadi »

Nick M wrote:I'm not usually a fan of all the topics trying to convince A2A to make such-and-such an aircraft....

...However - I think there's a case for badgering them incessantly and remorselessly to make us a DC-3! :mrgreen:

I know there's the excellent Uiver DC-2 and Manfred Jahn's great freeware DC-3 (albeit with a modern cockpit). However, an Accu-simmed, immersive DC-3 sim would be something to behold!

I just don't reckon they're up to the challenge!!! :wink:

100 reasons A2A should make a DC-3

Reason #1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUJIC6I7ic[/youtube]

All the best,
Nick

Thanks,just trying maybe it's on their plan as well,maybe :roll: I fly with buffaloairwaysvirtual and I'm using the freeware DC3 with all the liveries of Buffalo Airways. It's just my opinion while there are still a handful of this great bird flying before it become a history and stucked in the museum. :wink:

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Have you tried A2A's Accu-Feel? It won't make your current DC-3 a full-fledged accu-sim aircraft, but it should perk it up a bit.

The DC-3 is such an iconic aircraft they almost have to do it someday. Then again, I can probably think of a few dozen aircraft this is true of.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Add my vote for an Accu-sim DC-3. But I'll also go out on a limb - not for the first time - and say that the way for A2A to do it is not to start from scratch, rather to provide some finishing touches to Manfred's freeware version, which is already more advanced that the Aircraft Factory offerings and at least partway toward Accu-sim right now.

Consider what the freeware version has to offer:

-- First-rate physical model by Manfred.
-- Superb flight dynamics by Alexander Metzger (for those who don't know him, he's been a bit of a legend in the FS community for more than a decade; PMDG just engaged him to develop the flight dynamics for their DC-6).
-- A very sophisticated soundset by Ted Woflgang.
-- Failure modeling on par with the Uiver DC-2 (using, I think, a similar or closely-related version of the same gauge).
-- A mostly-completed "vintage VC" by Jan Visser, who worked on the MAAMsim R4D. It looks wonderful, judging by the images posted to Sim Outhouse. Unfortunately, Jan has lost his gauge coder, which is why the project has stalled for the moment.

So that's a lot of material already in place. Consider also that A2A has already modeled the Wright 1820 engine in Accu-sim for the P-47 and B-17, and the total is a decent amount of "stuff" that could be brought together.

There are issues to consider, of course, such as whether people would pay for an upgrade to the freeware version (I know I would), and how revenue would be divided among the many developers. One solution might be to make the new version donationware, benefiting, say the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum or some similar group.

A2A would also have to think about the impact on other projects of "diverting" resources. Considering that the Spitfire Mark V is on seemingly endless hold, my guess is that there aren't a lot of spare coders lying around waiting to be assigned to a tweaking/finishing project.

Still - I can dream. And I will.

Final caveat - I seem to be busy allocating resources here - both Scott's and Manfred's - and I ought to note that I haven't interacted with any of them about this. They might be completely against the idea, which is purely speculative and exists only in my head.

With that noted - that the Manfred/A2A DC-3 is purely a product of my insanity - how about it, guys?
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

blillpers
Senior Airman

Post by blillpers »

A Dc-3 would be great. Many people are hoping for a more advanced twin, and many others are hoping for another airliner. With a Dc-3, we would have both. We can only wait and hope...

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

The DC-3 would be my absolute Accusim dream plane - right next to the Constellation :D

However, I guess the chances are higher that PMDG will create a DC-3. The PMDG boss owns and flies a DC-3. And a while ago he said in an interview that after the DC-6 they would like to create one :)

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

They already said no to the dc3 because they don't want to take away from another dc3 that proceeds go to a museum or something like that.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Alan - I still remember my jaw dropping when I first saw Jan Visser's panel artwork for the PH-DDZ Dak. A great pity that his gauge coder on the Jahn DC-3 virtual cockpit project has disappeared. The lack of a period virtual cockpit is the main thing which stops me from using this add-on.

Tim - hadn't realised that RR had his own DC-3. It's been a long wait for the '6' hasn't it? Hopefully we'll see it one of these days... I seem to recall there was mention of communication between A2A and PMDG when the latter's DC-6 was announced, so I guess there's hope someone will develop one.
n421nj wrote:They already said no to the dc3 because they don't want to take away from another dc3 that proceeds go to a museum or something like that.
The 'MAAM-SIM' R4D/DC-3 is very long in the tooth now and the developers announced MAAM-SIM is no longer a going concern. I doubt online sales of the package help the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum much these days, so I think the DC-3 is fair game for a proper in-depth sim.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

n421nj wrote:They already said no to the dc3 because they don't want to take away from another dc3 that proceeds go to a museum or something like that.
That would be the MAAMsim version, benefiting the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum. Unfortunately, development has stopped on that project, and the most recent version is an FS9 portover, not an FSX-specific one. One of the developers is Jan Visser, who's now trying to complete the new VC for Manfred's C-47.

When A2A opted out, the MAAMsim version was still a live project. But conditions have changed. Now, it's possible that the museum still gets revenue from the old one - in which case, a new "Manfred-plus" version with revenues going to the museum might be a nice answer.

But, like I was saying, the resources aren't mine to allocate. Everything's easy when you're an outsider.

I agree that a PMDG version might happen... after about six years of development, with extra time for a Ouija board session where they'll try to negotiate the P3D license terms with Donald Douglas...

That's OK. I can be patient. Any process that ends in the ultimate DC-3 is fine with me...

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@Nick M - we posted at roughly the same time. Apologies for any overlap.

In one of his lost recent posts, Jan hinted that he was looking at workarounds for the gauges, maybe using existing ones. No details or timeline but we can hope.

I'd love to see a PMDG/A2A collaboration on a DC-3 or anything else for that matter. Speaking personally, I'd rather that PMDG had started on a DC-3 instead of a 6, but that's mainly a reflection of my personal flightsim schedule, which works much better with short haul than with high altitude and long distance. Of course I'll buy their 6 the minute it comes out...

EDIT: oh, I wanted to add,if you want an interim vintage VC for the Jahn, starting on about page 25 of Jan's Sim Outhouse thread, there are instructions on how to assemble one out of pieces of the default and of Manfred's version 1. It's not perfect but it's a lot more atmospheric than the Basler-based one. Nick Cooper provides the clearest instructions, and then some refinements follow. In combination with Accu-feel, especially with cabin integrity set to "bucket of bolts," it makes for a nice experience. Worth checking out.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Alan_A wrote: Speaking personally, I'd rather that PMDG had started on a DC-3 instead of a 6, but that's mainly a reflection of my personal flightsim schedule, which works much better with short haul than with high altitude and long distance.
Alan - you and me both! And I know what you mean about PMDG development cycles... I think it was early 2012 when we were shown previews of the DC-6. I think the real 6 went from spec. to prototype quicker!

Thanks for the heads-up on the VC mod for the Manfred Jahn DC-3... I'll definitely take a closer look at this. Not sure how the freeware/payware collaboration would work, but it's a nice idea. As you say, anything for a proper Dak'!

Oh, and Reason #2?

Ain't she just Purdy?

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

About the interim VC - the Sim Outhouse discussion can be a little hard to follow, since there were several participants and a lot of different options suggested. Here's the short version:

-- Nick Cooper's post #558 for the basic step-by-step

-- vonstroheim's post #586 for instructions on the use of a different interior.MDL that allows you to see your particular repaint in the out-the-window views, instead of the half-drawn left wing in the Microsoft default version

-- Nick's post #593 for the final version of a set of alternate VC textures

-- Nick's post #597 for a change to the propdisk.dds file that will allow you to see a textured, spinning prop with the engines running

If you go through the posts in that order and follow the instructions, you'll wind up repeating a couple of tasks (e.g. adding an .MDL file, then substituting another) but the tradeoff is that you get to take care of everything systematically and don't leave anything out. For me, the results were worth the extra work.

Oh, and about your reason #2 - agree completely, except that that person standing in front of the left propeller totally breaks up the lines... :P

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

You know your an aviation addict when you ogle that picture for 5min and then realize there is a women standing there. :shock: :lol:
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

what can I say? :D +1 for an accusimmed DC3

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”