Is there any possibility for a DC3 with accu-sim?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CIWS01
Senior Airman

Re: Is there any possibility for a DC3 with accu-sim?

Post by CIWS01 »

I would love to see this but I have great doubts it will happen. The "To-Do" list for A2A is already pretty crowded from what I can tell from various posts. I agree that an A2A representation of a DC-3/C-45 would be fantastic however. Right now I have to make due with the default DC-3 that I found a fantastic sound-set for (The difference is beyond incredible) and a BT-65. I do try my best to fly it correctly but it's not the same.
Image Image
ImageImage

CIWS01
Senior Airman

Post by CIWS01 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88EuQMkYZyM
Here is the sound set I grabbed. Just incase anyone is like me and wont spend money on less than an A2A DC-3 lol.

BTW I was wondering, has anyone attempted to recreate the Take-off sequence from Band of Brothers with FSX? After seeing some impressive film recreations I would love to see someone attempt that one!
Image Image
ImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

CIWS - I can definitely recommend the freeware DC-3 package by Manfred Jahn that Alan talks about in post 5. I haven't yet tried the vintage virtual cockpit mod. he discusses, but it looks quite promising...
Alan_A wrote:About the interim VC - the Sim Outhouse discussion can be a little hard to follow, since there were several participants and a lot of different options suggested. Here's the short version:

--Nick Cooper's post #558 for the basic step-by-step

-- vonstroheim's post #586 for instructions on the use of a different interior.MDL that allows you to see your particular repaint in the out-the-window views, instead of the half-drawn left wing in the Microsoft default version

-- Nick's post #593 for the final version of a set of alternate VC textures

-- Nick's post #597 for a change to the propdisk.dds file that will allow you to see a textured, spinning prop with the engines running

If you go through the posts in that order and follow the instructions, you'll wind up repeating a couple of tasks (e.g. adding an .MDL file, then substituting another) but the tradeoff is that you get to take care of everything systematically and don't leave anything out. For me, the results were worth the extra work.
...And Alan, many thanks for taking the trouble to post this summary. I'll give it a go for sure! However, after seeing the pics in Jan's thread on Sim Outhouse (have never visited there much) I certainly hope his fantastic work sees the light of day.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@CWIS - that's a good soundset, but you should also check out the most recent one by Ted "TuFun" Wolfgang (third item down on the linked page) - he's a terrific sound designer, and his version is synced to the slow startup on Manfred's C-47. It really brings the package together nicely.

@Nick - agree completely about Jan's work (and judging from comments, the "inventors" of the cobbled-together interim version agree, too). I hope he's found some kind of solution for the gauges - he's been pretty quiet recently but maybe there's something going on behind the scenes. Will stay optimistic - I'd switch over to that one in a heartbeat.

BTW, Sim Outhouse is a nice site - very warbird-centric, so it can be a comfortable place for Accu-sim pilots, in contrast to some of the other sites that are more, um, tube-focused...
Last edited by Alan_A on 25 Oct 2014, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Fabo
Airman First Class

Post by Fabo »

I don't have much to add - y'all guys here are the experts.

Just a +1.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

+1 for TuFun's soundset with Manfred's C-47, with the updated bump textures and those sweet radial sounds...........don't forget the cowl flaps, those radials get warm quick 8)

An A2A version would be sweet, but this setup is just fine til then :D

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

taildraggin68 wrote: An A2A version would be sweet, but this setup is just fine til then :D
Agree. An A2A DC-3 would make my day (month, year, decade...) but to everyone who hasn't already checked out Manfred's - you really should. It may not be Accu-sim but it's amazingly close - and very satisfying in its own right. And freeware. Hard to go wrong with it... 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Talking of "sweet radial sounds", here's another gratuitous Dak' video. :) There's a great view of the tail twitching around as power is applied with the brakes on before take-off.

Reason #3... 'Cause nothing says "Wings of Silver" like a DC-3! :wink:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YECHxEOyY8[/youtube]
A2A Simulations Inc.

thomas_mac
Senior Airman

Post by thomas_mac »

Alan_A wrote:
So that's a lot of material already in place. Consider also that A2A has already modeled the Wright 1820 engine in Accu-sim for the P-47 and B-17, and the total is a decent amount of "stuff" that could be brought together.
Just a note. The P-47 is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 and the majority of DC-3's are powered by the Pratt & Whitney R-1830.

bliksimpie
Staff Sergeant

Post by bliksimpie »

+1 for a Dc3
Regards
JB

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

thomas_mac wrote: Just a note. The P-47 is powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 and the majority of DC-3's are powered by the Pratt & Whitney R-1830.
Ah, yes, of course. Should have known that. In fact, I think I did. Got carried away in my enthusiasm.

Well, so... a couple of steps farther away from an "easy" Accu-sim DC-3. The farther off from heaven, the nearer is to...

Still, I have to say that Manfred's - especially in Jankees' latest paint, and with the "interim" vintage VC, is a very happy experience...

kapjadi
Senior Airman

Post by kapjadi »

Nick M wrote:Talking of "sweet radial sounds", here's another gratuitous Dak' video. :) There's a great view of the tail twitching around as power is applied with the brakes on before take-off.

Reason #3... 'Cause nothing says "Wings of Silver" like a DC-3! :wink:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YECHxEOyY8[/youtube]

Oh, this video made me droooool :D Who will never fall in-love with this gor-juice airplane!

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Dc 3 would indeed be nice, but instead i would love to see the much more rare and bit older dc2. Especially if one of the liveries would be legendary finnish Hanssin Jukka. Here she stands proudly: http://www.puolustusvoimat.fi/wcm/0268d ... OD=AJPERES

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Reading 'Fate is the Hunter' by Ernest K. Gann certainly inspired an interest in the DC-2 for me. Have you checked out the Uiver DC-2 for FSX? It's getting a bit long in the tooth I'll admit, but still a rather good add-on:

http://home.hccnet.nl/r.cappers/dc2/

Not sure if there's been a Hanssin Jukka repaint though...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Mmmmmmm....... An Accusim DC-3...... Heaven...... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”