Safety Alert- Hypoxia

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Safety Alert- Hypoxia

Post by taildraggin68 »

Just got this in email here

In regards to second crash possibly related to hypoxia....TBM 900 new owner

mer8771
Staff Sergeant

Re: Safety Alert- Hypoxia

Post by mer8771 »

Just a BUMP as I thank a lot of people should read this. :shock:
Family, Friends, and I
are the most important things
in life. Always in that order.
Once you're faced with death you will no longer be scared of it.
Life has a new joy to it, cherish it.
Craig McN.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

mer8771 wrote:Just a BUMP as I thank a lot of people should read this. :shock:
I agree, the article isnt very long but very informative. Anyone here who actually flies real world should be well aware of these things.I dont know if this is taught to student pilots during ground school but it would be worth mentioning.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

This is now the second possibly hypoxia-related accident in a week. There was also a Cirrus that crashed in the Atlantic last weekend that may have also been due to hypoxia. A lot of this goes back to the age old problem that has plagued GA for years - pilots with more plane than they're able to handle. It's sad, it sucks, but it's unfortunately the truth. There have been more GA crashes since 1908 due to the pilot getting an airplane he wasn't ready for and getting in over his head either thru complacency/overconfidence or ignorance.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Hypoxia and its causes is most definitely part of the PPL training program. There are a number of aeromedical factors presented as part of the ground material.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Oracle427 wrote:Hypoxia and its causes is most definitely part of the PPL training program. There are a number of aeromedical factors presented as part of the ground material.
Thanks for the info.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

With a plane like the TBM a big problem is that the plane is pressurized, and as a new owner, it was likely the first pressurized plane he ever flew, and because depressurization is a rare occurrence, a slow loss of pressure coupled with the effects of hypoxia means that they likely never knew anything was wrong.

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

pjc747 wrote:With a plane like the TBM a big problem is that the plane is pressurized, and as a new owner, it was likely the first pressurized plane he ever flew, and because depressurization is a rare occurrence, a slow loss of pressure coupled with the effects of hypoxia means that they likely never knew anything was wrong.
From what I've read the pilot also owned a TBM 700. So he had most likely quite some experience with the cabin pressurization system.

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Tim-HH wrote:From what I've read the pilot also owned a TBM 700. So he had most likely quite some experience with the cabin pressurization system.
Though so did these guys [6.5 MB].

The pressurization issue is truly one of the most sneaky killers there is in aviation, if undetected.

-Esa

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

pjc747 wrote:With a plane like the TBM a big problem is that the plane is pressurized, and as a new owner, it was likely the first pressurized plane he ever flew, and because depressurization is a rare occurrence, a slow loss of pressure coupled with the effects of hypoxia means that they likely never knew anything was wrong.
TBM Owners and Pilots Association chairman Larry Glazer and his wife Jane were on board an airplane that crashed off the coast of Jamaica after the pilot became unresponsive

Glazer was an experienced pilot with a reported 5,000 hours flying TBMs; AOPA reported earlier this year that this was the third TBM Glazer has owned.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... responsive
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I rest my case, if pressurization problem truly was the cause of this. :(

-Esa

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I fly at 12.5k often, and sometimes to 14k for short periods to get above weather without oxygen. I've never noticed any signs of hypoxia other than the slight sense of euphoria that comes with high altitudes in general. Occasionally I do some math equations in my head to make sure I'm still functioning. I also routinely practice deep slow breathing. But I admit, I'm not entirely comfortable as the very person who is doing the thinking is the one being affected. There are many factors that can affect one's lung efficiencies on a day to day basis. Chest congestion, stress, sleep, air quality, etc.

Interestingly, the fingertip oximeter is on my list of things to get this week. I suspect this will become a common tool to find in aircraft of all kinds - it certainly makes sense. I'll report back some findings. Heck, we may accu-sim one :)

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Scott - A2A wrote: Heck, we may accu-sim one :)

Scott.
Brilliant, you can put it next to the cabin temperature thermometer :P

Thanks for the story Scott. Not being a pilot myself its interesting to read things like that.

Can the sense of euphoria encourage you to fly higher than you otherwise might?
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

tbaac wrote:Can the sense of euphoria encourage you to fly higher than you otherwise might?
At least here in Europe, the highest you can go is limited by the regulations (cockpit crew performing a safety critical function needs to use the oxygen whenever the cabin altitude exceeds 10000 ft for more than 30 minutes, OR for any duration exceeds 13000 ft - there are additional requirements basically requiring added oxygen for the whole party onboard in most cases when the flight altitude exceeds -similarly- 10000 ft unpressurized for over 30 minutes, or over 13000 ft for any duration).

-Esa

pedwards
Airman

Post by pedwards »

Scott - A2A wrote:Occasionally I do some math equations in my head to make sure I'm still functioning. I also routinely practice deep slow breathing.
Scott.
I recently watched a program on Youtube that contained information on Hypoxia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEJKvbpOF0
In the clip Micheal Portillo thought he was performing very well and answering all questions correctly. Hypoxia limits the chances of us recognizing that we are suffering from Hypoxia.

Regards
Regards

Paul Edwards

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”