SOLUTION for LOW FRAMERATE (FPS), Lag spikes under Windows 7

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

SOLUTION for LOW FRAMERATE (FPS), Lag spikes under Windows 7

Post by trucker17 »

This was posted on another site by Daniel Cziranku.

I tried it out..... AND IT WORKED FANTASTIC.....
So I am posting here.....

If you use Windows 7, and you have a strong machine but still have some LAG, low FPS or unstable performance, here's a little trick you can try:
You'll have to turn off Multimedia Class Scheduler in both msconfig, and modify a key in the registry. This module causes fps drop-down, lag, and many more terrible things to our gaming performace. I turn this off on every build of Windows 7, every install.
so, let's get started

STEP #1
1. click on windows key / start menu
2. in the search field type and run: msconfig
3. click on the services tab, and search "multimedia class scheduler". uncheck the checkbox
4. if unchecked, click ok. when asked, DON'T restart your system. do STEP #2 before restarting !
( also, you can go through the "startup" tab's list, If you have something that isn't necessary to start with windows bootup, you can take them out easily here. this can save boot time and memory, too )

STEP #2
1. click on windows key / start menu
2. in the search field type and run: regedit
3. on the left side open the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > services > AudioSrv
4. click on AudioSrv, and on the right side of the window there will be a list, search and doubleclick "DependOnService"
5. after you opened the little window, DELETE the "MMCS" part. only that part, leave the other 2 alone.
6. if you deleted it, click OK and restart your computer.

ACHTUNG ! you need to go through both step 1 and step 2 in order to fully disable this little imp !
I gladly help anyone who needs it, just drop some letters and I'll reply.

Hope it helps a lot of you, have a nice day !

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Re: SOLUTION for LOW FRAMERATE (FPS), Lag spikes under Windo

Post by Mig_Driver »

Hey, thanks, Marine, I set my system up over here per your instructions and we'll see how it goes!
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Tried it on 8.1 Pro and it helps a bit, ORBX Lancair IVP runs high def textures just above 20 on this laptop now was 15 to 18 in VC low res textures, and P3Dv2.3 able to bump autogen a smidge running A2A without stutters. Ported planes to P3D still stutter even though frames better....may get even better if I remove some background unneeded stuff 8)

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Glad it worked for you taildraggin68.
It helped my Laptop.

mer8771
Staff Sergeant

Post by mer8771 »

Did you trick, or your found trick, anyway it smoothed out the sim but took 3-5 fps from me but in big city's it is smother now at 14 fps than it was at 19fps. I'm not sure what that did. :?:
Family, Friends, and I
are the most important things
in life. Always in that order.
Once you're faced with death you will no longer be scared of it.
Life has a new joy to it, cherish it.
Craig McN.

Corporal Cop
Airman

Post by Corporal Cop »

Since replacing my motherboard and CPU I searched the internet to get the most out of my system for FSX. I was surprised to find a one stop link for all the best tweaks and I highly recommend it. There is a TON of information to read and if you follow the instructions as I have you will get the most out of your system. I would disregard anyone else who discovers a new tweak, because my system works so well having followed the instructions on this page. I have climbed the mountain top and moved into the promised land. Glory be to the FSX computer system bible, and NickN. Amen!

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx ... 46211.html

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I just did this tweak and noticed an increase in frame rates from 12 to now 14-20 fluctuating while flying the Hudson corridor (aerosoft manhattan x, active sky next, a2a c172, on a multiplayer server). I've also noticed a big increase at KTEB from 18fps to now 28fps.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Wow, I hate to spoil all the good reviews, however this fix is for Windows 7. I have an HP laptop with Vista and the fix had the opposite effect for me. The frame rate slowed by 2 to 3 fps and the video got pretty jerky. I backed out the change and everything smoothed out and my frame rate picked up again.

This for VISTA not Windows 7. On Windows 7 from all the other reports it seems to work.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Not only that, but MSCONFIG reports it as a stopped service. If it isn't running, why do you need to disable it? I think the perceived improvement is because everything you've run up to that point is cleared from memory when you reboot, Windows has always been a dog about releasing resources used by closed programs.

thewoo1
Airman First Class

Post by thewoo1 »

Mine was MMSS or MMCSS cant remember now not MMCS like instructions said deleted it.. Can someone explain why mine was different. Using Win 7 on laptop fsx seems ok after deleting

Rocket_Bird
Senior Airman

Post by Rocket_Bird »

I had issues with the Multimedia Class Schedule a while back that impacted my system as a whole. It would eat up CPU resources like you wouldn't believe, and thus significantly reduce the framerate in FSX.

I've also read though, that it is dangerous to disable the module. I can't give you the reason off the top of my head, but it is an important component to windows if I recall.

From what I gather, I don't think disabling this module necessarily improves performance all that much unless it is glitched, which was the case for me. I managed to fix mine through using CCleaner to clean out my registry.
ImageImage
ImageImage

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

thewoo1 wrote:Mine was MMSS or MMCSS cant remember now not MMCS like instructions said deleted it.. Can someone explain why mine was different. Using Win 7 on laptop fsx seems ok after deleting
Mine was MMCSS on Vista (c:\windows\system32\mmcss.dll is what I believe it is referring to)

thewoo1
Airman First Class

Post by thewoo1 »

guys I looked it up and it said it could affect some applications using silverlight( netflix)..would anyone happen to know if I just recheck it and type in the mmcss where it was does that restore it back?

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

It should......

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

thewoo1 wrote:guys I looked it up and it said it could affect some applications using silverlight( netflix)..would anyone happen to know if I just recheck it and type in the mmcss where it was does that restore it back?
Yes, it worked for me.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”